Solar Panels

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Working Man, Nov 2, 2005.

1. Working Man

Working Man Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I should be able to electrify my scooter bin (bike trailer) with some PV panels. Anyone have a good source for these, along with needed controller???..

Any pros and cons for the different brands and types,,,etc,, such as monocrystalline,, etc,.

The fact that I can get power, to do what I want and not have to pay for petroleum products makes me happy!! :p:

2. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Solar panels are cool, but expensive. I heard "they" are developing solar panel roof shingles for houses. You wouldn't even have to pay a power bill if you had those! :thup:

3. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,629
    freind of mine just did his house....he pays no power bill and actually sells power back to the power company

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,246
    Solar power is fastest growing source of energy...
    [​IMG]
    Solar Energy is Fastest Growing Source of Power
    Thursday 5th October, 2017 - A report shows that solar energy was the fastest-growing source of power last year, accounting for almost two-thirds of net new capacity globally.

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,362
    Not that expensive at all, and the price is getting lower every month. And several companies already have solar shingles, as well as solar glue on for metal roofs.

Tesla Solar Roof

Solar Panels from Wholesale Solar

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,362
    A friend just installed solar on his roof in Tacoma, Washington. Not a place known for sunshine. On an east facing roof. That was six months ago. He has not paid an electric bill since, and just got a check in the mail for $250. Says his payback, at this rate, is going to be less than 3 years.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. xband

xband Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    I can talk end on end about solar panels and without going into detail that is a bad investment. Buy a home gasoline or diesel powered electric generator for when the grid goes down. The US has more than enough fossil fuel to last far into the next century.

8. gipper

gipper Libertarian/Anarchist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,410
    Put these on my motor home and they work great, as long as I can get a few hours of full sun each day. No need to run the generator. We can boondock for as long as our water tank lasts.

[​IMG]

9. eagle1462010

eagle1462010 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,845
    The only thing that matters is the KWH for the buck. Kilo Watt Hours for the buck.........The initial investment to get sustainable energy for a house is very high..............It must be then divided over the expected life span of the solar grid to determine the cost per KWH.....You must also factor in if you want to grid tie or stand alone...........A lot of states allow massive fees to tie into the grid destroying the gains you expect to get by having to pay the utilities just to have the panels.

Do not be fooled by the salesmen of how cheap it is............it is not...........

Solar power for remote locations isn't a completely bad thing..............can provide power where utilities not available and keeping a large amount of fuel is not efficient.

Overall.........cost is much cheaper staying on the grid per KWH

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. xband

xband Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,315
    Make hay when the sun shines and on cloudy days no solar power and no solar power at night. I gave a thought covering my roof with solar panels but then I need expensive inverters and batteries.
    edit: Cost Effective is the key.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2017