SOCOM 16

freyasman

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2020
Texas
So I have one of these in my safe, bought it back when it first came out in '04, after spending most of '03 carrying an M14 around Afghanistan. It doesn't come out much although it's a fine rifle for deer or hogs, because I made peace with the fact that I'm not an Infantryman anymore several years ago. But it is a damn good rifle, and I like it more than the AR platform that is so popular nowadays.

Tell me what ya'll got and why you like it.

So I have one of these in my safe, bought it back when it first came out in '04, after spending most of '03 carrying an M14 around Afghanistan. It doesn't come out much although it's a fine rifle for deer or hogs, because I made peace with the fact that I'm not an Infantryman anymore several years ago. But it is a damn good rifle, and I like it more than the AR platform that is so popular nowadays.

I currently run a .300 Blackout and a .50 Beowulf for home defense/bugout. The .300 Black can send a wide range of payloads down range, from light, fast 1000 yard capable projectiles to heavy, whisper quiet subsonic rounds. The Beowulf is a bulldozer in CQB and capable of dropping any game animal walking the continent. Paired with a master key under barrel .12 gauge it can handle just about any self defense scenario. No pics for plausible deniability. 'Cause you know, I only run these weapons in video games . . .

My favorite two firearms.
77A70FB6-C159-446F-8016-9BED2C3C01F8_1_201_a.jpeg

Then of course there's the various deer rifles and shotguns,but if I'm not hunting I rarely shoot em.
I really like my Winchester 30. 30. for its history.

I currently run a .300 Blackout and a .50 Beowulf for home defense/bugout. The .300 Black can send a wide range of payloads down range, from light, fast 1000 yard capable projectiles to heavy, whisper quiet subsonic rounds. The Beowulf is a bulldozer in CQB and capable of dropping any game animal walking the continent. Paired with a master key under barrel .12 gauge it can handle just about any self defense scenario. No pics for plausible deniability. 'Cause you know, I only run these weapons in video games . . .

A .50 Beowulf for home defense?
Who the fuck is breaking into your house? The Incredible Hulk? :laughing0301:

• Banned
I carried and used the M4 on most of my deployments and while it did a good job, I routinely had to shoot insurgents more than once. I had to hit one guy 5 times to put him down.
I never had to use more than one round per customer with my M14.

You'll want to ditch that muzzle brake if you put a scope on it.

Wasn't the M14 taken out of service in 64?

I own an original HK G3 and it is hands down the best battle rifle in the world. I own a very early G Series FN FAL and it is the most pleasant rifle to shoot. I just recently picked up an FN SCAR 17 in 7.62X51 NATO and am still learning it.

I have a couple of Colt ARs and an original AR-180 made at the Costa Mesa plant back in the late 1960's. I bought all of these new.

I also own an original Steyr import Maadi AKM.

We dug them back out for Afghanistan. Mountain war, lot of 500+ meter shots.
I had a scope and a bipod on mine.

SOCOM is a great rifle. Being a retired 07FFL, class 2 SOT I built and owned anything I wanted sans 09 DD's.

Had a Garand, "tanker model" Figured I needed an M1a. Yeah had a buttload AK 47 and 74 (some full auto, legal) FnFal, L1A1, many AR of course... Got one of them M1a. Loved it but went back to a Garand. Why? Not sure. Always liked the 308 round but always liked the 06 round better. I dunno. I have shot every Garand I ever owned better than that M1a, I mean snap shot offhand 200 meters at clay pigeons on a bank..

Now? It's my 1954, H&R Garand and I use a Howa rfor "vermin" need quiet dispatch (basically Mauser design) 223 with a Leopould MarkAR scope on it, has a suppressor of course. Wife? Spike Tactical AR. Handgun is a 1911 I built, commander length

For some applications, and for the infantry. The US Navy still used M14s thru the early 1980s. We had them in the armory of both ships I served on (actually, 1 ship and 1 boat).

For some applications, and for the infantry. The US Navy still used M14s thru the early 1980s. We had them in the armory of both ships I served on (actually, 1 ship and 1 boat).

In 99 I was a Chief Electrician on a NOAA ship (Discoverer). They ARE the 8th service, officers are officers, rest of us DoD but wear Kacks and say "sir" Anyway. Even 99 we had M14 in the armoury and some 45's. When we swam someone with the M14 would be on shark watch. I had to show the weapons officer how to field strip a 1911 but he was a wonderful officer and man, was thankful and learned.

Was a fun ship to serve on.

DDgo5wGVoAAoev0.jpg

In 99 I was a Chief Electrician on a NOAA ship (Discoverer). They ARE the 8th service, officers are officers, rest of us DoD but wear Kacks and say "sir" Anyway. Even 99 we had M14 in the armoury and some 45's. When we swam someone with the M14 would be on shark watch. I had to show the weapons officer how to field strip a 1911 but he was a wonderful officer and man, was thankful and learned.

DDgo5wGVoAAoev0.jpg

Sounds like great duty.

The M14 is a great rifle. I have a Springfield M1A Loaded that I bought years ago. I wouldn't want to hike a long way with the thing, because it is heavy and bulky. But it shoots great. Hits hard. And reaches way out there.

The 1911 .45s are some of the best semi-auto pistols. I love mine. It started out as a Springfield MilSpec. I could count on one hand the number of times it has jammed.

DDgo5wGVoAAoev0.jpg

Sounds like great duty.

The M14 is a great rifle. I have a Springfield M1A Loaded that I bought years ago. I wouldn't want to hike a long way with the thing, because it is heavy and bulky. But it shoots great. Hits hard. And reaches way out there.

The 1911 .45s are some of the best semi-auto pistols. I love mine. It started out as a Springfield MilSpec. I could count on one hand the number of times it has jammed.
It wasn't humping the rifle up and down mountains that really sucked, it was the weight of all the ammo. The mags were all steel too, and 10 of them minimum, loaded with 168gr LC match ammo meant I had one of the heaviest loads out there. Pretty much only the machine gun teams and the RTO had it worse..... and they were all at least a decade younger than me.
Still, it was worth the extra weight when the shooting started.

Sounds like great duty.

Yes WB it was good. The food? Spectacular! 1/4 the ships budget went to food, 4 meals, food out 24/7 (hagendaz, nuts' sauce, fruit, vegs like cukes toms, pies 24 hrs a day!) Stuffed halibut for dinner was not the exception, it was that or better. 2 weeks, couldn't fit my Kacks and wore a poopie suit like everyone and I still did 90 min in the gym every night!

My M14 reached, liked the FnFal variants better for some reason. Maybe cause I built so many, I dunno. My Garand will reach furthur. It feels better to hold, shoot, fondle...

I have had, carried, shot 1911 since 79. Works, I'll not change. I tried others, had a Sig 220 I liked alot. Shot many Glocks, great pistol. BUT. That 1911 grip angle is in my muscle memory. I can "target shoot" a Glock nicely, combat fast? NOOOO

Sounds like great duty.

Yes WB it was good. The food? Spectacular! 1/4 the ships budget went to food, 4 meals, food out 24/7 (hagendaz, nuts' sauce, fruit, vegs like cukes toms, pies 24 hrs a day!) Stuffed halibut for dinner was not the exception, it was that or better. 2 weeks, couldn't fit my Kacks and wore a poopie suit like everyone and I still did 90 min in the gym every night!

My M14 reached, liked the FnFal variants better for some reason. Maybe cause I built so many, I dunno. My Garand will reach furthur. It feels better to hold, shoot, fondle...

I have had, carried, shot 1911 since 79. Works, I'll not change. I tried others, had a Sig 220 I liked alot. Shot many Glocks, great pistol. BUT. That 1911 grip angle is in my muscle memory. I can "target shoot" a Glock nicely, combat fast? NOOOO

The Glock is a fine pistol. I have had no complaints when I shot it at the range.

But the 1911 fits my hand and points instinctively far better. I agree with what you said.

For half my time in the US Navy I served aboard an FBM submarine. The food was amazingly good. On our first patrol I gained anough to make my pants tight until I started working out more and taking smaller portion. One of the guys made these yeast rolls that were manna from heaven.

The Glock is a fine pistol. I have had no complaints when I shot it at the range.

But the 1911 fits my hand and points instinctively far better. I agree with what you said.

For half my time in the US Navy I served aboard an FBM submarine. The food was amazingly good. On our first patrol I gained anough to make my pants tight until I started working out more and taking smaller portion. One of the guys made these yeast rolls that were manna from heaven.

Exactly, a very fine pistol. However for those of us used to the grip angle of 1911 and others with the same it doesn't fit the "muscle memory" Sure, one could retrain muscle memory but why. Shoot what works for you and stick with it, shoot often.

I did 6 years Marine electrician at PSNS too. We had many subs in overhauls (most 637 attacks). I worked Grave shift. Once a sub was at the docks and ships crew was back onboard they cooked on the sub. Leftovers? Uh yup. Help ourselves even being yardbirds? Yup. Good stuff Maynard!!!

Dad joined 1943 did 20 on SS diesel electrics, sea of Japan as a kid (joined 15) He never in 20 floated a desk, always sea duty. When he was home he and I would go on base (Groton) show me around, get haircuts, stop in the Chiefs club for a bite. But the best was visit the sub, check on crew and progress. Being a Chief electrician and the crew loved him was always great visit every time. We would go in the mess (even Enilsted mess) and eat lunch. Huge roast beefs out on the table, all kinds of goodies. Being a chub then the crew kidded. Once I was coming down a ladder a sailor asked me "how much you weigh?" 83 pounds Sir!" proud as I could be in 3rd grade. :oops:

Like sub stories? "The War Below" James Scott. I know every sub Dad was on but in the book they mention Silversides as one of the top 3 producers in WW2, he was on it. Told me some stories, very few as he wouldn't talk much about it. One was 3 Jap sailors they plucked and kept them on board. They fit in, worked, didn't want to turn them over at Pearl. Book says 2 but there were 3. He was also on the one where their sister sub got sunk. Japs sunk it, plucked survivors, Dads sub then sunk the Jap ship, sailors back in the drink!!! Think that was Sunfish and Sailfish

A .50 Beowulf for home defense?
Who the fuck is breaking into your house? The Incredible Hulk? :laughing0301:

I want one but who in the hell can reload that beast of a caliber? Unless you know who might have that caliber in stock?

Forum List

Back