CDZ Social Groups & Interaction

Bonzi

Diamond Member
May 17, 2015
What are your thoughts around entering an established "social group", be it an on line community or, a club, church etc.?

Do you feel like, in any instance, you should be able to do or say "whatever you want" as long as you are following the letter of the law.... (the rules)?

Or do you think you need to pick up on social queues and group norms in order to 'blend'?

Not that there is necessarily a right or wrong in this, but, what is YOUR style?

On a larger scale, do you think it is necessary for people to pick up and "play like everyone else" in order to be a functioning and productive society?

What are your thoughts around entering an established "social group", be it an on line community or, a club, church etc.?

Do you feel like, in any instance, you should be able to do or say "whatever you want" as long as you are following the letter of the law.... (the rules)?

Or do you think you need to pick up on social queues and group norms in order to 'blend'?

Not that there is necessarily a right or wrong in this, but, what is YOUR style?

On a larger scale, do you think it is necessary for people to pick up and "play like everyone else" in order to be a functioning and productive society?

Humans are primates, and primates are social animals. They form groups of individuals to thrive and succeed. We don't do well by ourselves. And an individual animal is more often prey than predator. White sharks typically go after stragglers, not an individual seal among many other seals so there's objective reason animals form herds and communities and weekend social groups. :)

Humans are primates, and primates are social animals. They form groups of individuals to thrive and succeed. We don't do well by ourselves. And an individual animal is more often prey than predator. White sharks typically go after stragglers, not an individual seal among many other seals so there's objective reason animals form herds and communities and weekend social groups. :)

What I don't get is why if you enter an established group, they go "bonkers" if you don't socially play by their rules... example....

You join a small group message board - you post a lot of stuff, ask interesting questions etc. and the "regulars" get their "fur up" about it. You have not said anything wrong, insulting etc., but just decided to "jump right in" and participate.

Why do you think they get "upset" about that?

What I don't get is why if you enter an established group, they go "bonkers" if you don't socially play by their rules... example....

You join a small group message board - you post a lot of stuff, ask interesting questions etc. and the "regulars" get their "fur up" about it. You have not said anything wrong, insulting etc., but just decided to "jump right in" and participate.

In my case I'm a lot smarter than most so annoy most people by the comparison. :)

Another amusing way of putting it is sites like this are composed of sheep. There may be slightly bigger sheep, slightly more wooly sheep, but if a wolf suddenly comes along being a 'bigger better sheep' suddenly doesn't mean what it did the day before. :)

Ya know the interwebz is serious business............. (Not) Who cares what they think or post?
But to answer your question...... one word: Control. They control their private little space, they make the rules, one of the rules is they can re-write the rules anytime they want to suit the moment. Basically they "let in" who they want and reject anyone else, I ran into that on a somewhat small forum recently, the ringleader and his two cronies leave me alone now, I give better than I get.......

Another amusing way of putting it is sites like this are composed of sheep. There may be slightly bigger sheep, slightly more wooly sheep, but if a wolf suddenly comes along being a 'bigger better sheep' suddenly doesn't mean what it did the day before. :)

So, in other words, they feel threatened?

Depends on the group, depends on your posts and questions.

Some groups will be more rigid than others.

Stats demonstrated some behavior like you describe when I first joined. Luckily he had no power to enforce any second class role on the "new guy".

That would be some of them.

Others just might not like the change you are introducing to their place.

Ya know the interwebz is serious business............. (Not) Who cares what they think or post?
But to answer your question...... one word: Control. They control their private little space, they make the rules, one of the rules is they can re-write the rules anytime they want to suit the moment. Basically they "let in" who they want and reject anyone else, I ran into that on a somewhat small forum recently, the ringleader and his two cronies leave me alone now, I give better than I get.......

In this particular instance, it was a group effort to discredit. Very much like high school. The loud vocal group, and those that don't agree but are silent for fear of being "rejected". Like you say, I basically told them if you don't like me or what I have to say, don't read it. The irony of this particular group is they claim to be "all loving, all accepting" .... be nice, accept anyone no matter what (nothing wrong with Liberals, but, it is a mostly Liberal board) - so they are supposed to represent the "everyone has rights, treat everyone equally" mentality, which, is anything but - but Conservative or Liberal, I think it's just human nature.

Not so much threatened as whatever they prided themselves on before is now meaningless. As with trolls. Ya you mighta been the biggest troll around, but now someone equipped to troll the troll as it were has arrived. The status quo changed more so than new members are directly threatening.

Stats demonstrated some behavior like you describe when I first joined. Luckily he had no power to enforce any second class role on the "new guy".

That happens - not formally - but in the way of "well, you're a newbie" - or, since you are new here you don't really get us.. etc.

Not so much threatened as whatever they prided themselves on before is now meaningless. As with trolls. Ya you mighta been the biggest troll around, but now someone equipped to troll the troll as it were has arrived. The status quo changed more so than new members are directly threatening.

That definitely applies, as the talk is "It's not what it used to be here" - funny thing is, nothing really changed! They were not being put down, or every thread was not being "invaded" so to speak. But, fun and connections were being made, and, the handful of people that didn't like it turned it into a shit-storm.

In my case I'm a lot smarter than most so annoy most people by the comparison. :)

Seriously? Do tell....

That would be some of them.

Others just might not like the change you are introducing to their place.

Okay, here is another question. This board is like this one (XenForo) and, there is the ability to send Private Messages etc. Why not just private message someone? Or come out and just say exactly what you don't like. What happened here was a lot of trashing, innuendo and false accusations. Baiting and targeting.

Forum List

Back