CDZ Social Distancing, Rethinking the 6ft Rule.

JoeMoma

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2014
The current social distance rule is to stay at a minimum 6 ft apart, period. Is this right? Here are some of my thoughts.

First, how is Covid-19 spread. From what I understand from watching the experts/MDs on TV, the main way the virus spreads is by water/fluid droplets coughed/sneezed/excelled from a person carrying the virus. These fluid droplets from an infected person may fall on surfaces that are later touched by another person. The 6 ft rule does little to prevent the spread in this case. When I touch and open a door, I can easily be 50 feet from the person that deposited the virus on the door.

The fluid droplets from an infected person may also be coughed/sneezed/excelled into the same air being breathed by a non infected person or fall on the non infected person. This is the method of infection that the 6 ft rule helps to prevent.

Should the 6 ft rule be an absolute?

If I am having a face to face conversation with someone else (meaning we are facing directly at each other), then absolutely, we should be at a minimum 6 feet apart.

Once restaurants open back up, do I need to maintain 6ft in all directions from anyone else? I think not. If I am sitting at one table, back to back with someone else setting at another table, I don't see a problem. We are not breathing into each other's airspace. It would be okay if we are only 1ft apart while we are back to back, as long as we are not touching the same surfaces. Of course the tables will need to be disinfected between customers.

How about people facing the same direction(parallel) setting at a bar? I can see 4 ft apart being enough. I was tempted to say 2.5 ft, but the people at the bar will not face exactly parallel to each other all the time.

2 People going for a walk outside should be okay 2 ft apart if they are walking shoulder to shoulder. They are not breathing directly into each other's airspace and they are constantly walking into fresh airspace.

If every one wears a mask, then regular distances (before Covid-19) should be okay. Wearing a mask prevents the infected droplets from entering the breathing spaces of non infected people. However, extreme washing and disinfecting of surfaces still needs to take place. And no hugging strangers.

Your thoughts -- agree/disagree. (Remember we are in CDZ)

Last edited:
The current social distance rule is to stay at a minimum 6 ft apart, period. Is this right? Here are some of my thoughts.

First, how is Covid-19 spread. From what I understand from watching the experts/MDs on TV, the main way the virus spreads is by water/fluid droplets coughed/sneezed/excelled from a person carrying the virus. These fluid droplets from an infected person may fall on surfaces that are later touched by another person. The 6 ft rule does little to prevent the spread in this case. When I touch and open a door, I can easily be 50 feet from the person that deposited the virus on the door.

The fluid droplets from an infected person may also be coughed/sneezed/excelled into the same air being breathed by a non infected person or fall on the non infected person. This is the method of infection that the 6 ft rule helps to prevent.

If I am having a face to face conversation with someone else (meaning we are facing directly at each other), then absolutely, we should be at a minimum 6 feet apart.

Once restaurants open back up, do I need to maintain 6ft in all directions from anyone else? I think not. If I am sitting at one table, back to back with someone else setting at another table, I don't see a problem. We are not breathing into each other's airspace. It would be okay if we are only 1ft apart while we are back to back, as long as we are not touching the same surfaces. Of course the tables will need to be disinfected between customers.

How about people facing the same direction(parallel) setting at a bar? I can see 4 ft apart being enough. I was tempted to say 2.5 ft, but the people at the bar will not face exactly parallel to each other all the time.

2 People going for a walk outside should be okay 2 ft apart if they are walking shoulder to shoulder.

If every one wears a mask, then regular distances (before Covid-19) should be okay. Wearing a mask prevents the infected droplets from entering the breathing spaces of non infected people. However, extreme washing and disinfecting of surfaces still needs to take place. And no hugging strangers.

Based on nothing more than my uneducated gut, I feel picking up a few viruses from a doorknob would be dealt with by most immune systems. The virus is novel so we don't have a lot of immunity so a lot of viruses could overwhelm our systems. I'd say you'd have to be in close proximity (whatever that is) for a long period of time (whatever that is) to get enough load to be overwhelmed.

I'd agree that if every one wears a mask, then regular distances (before Covid-19) should be okay. I'd also say if you're less than 6 ft for 10 or more minutes, you're in trouble (again just my gut talking).

6 foot isn't going to help you if they cough or sneeze around you nor will a mask alone. When you are that close in you need eye protection as well. Mostly people just need to wash their hands like they have OCD.

I'd agree that if every one wears a mask, then regular distances (before Covid-19) should be okay. I'd also say if you're less than 6 ft for 10 or more minutes, you're in trouble (again just my gut talking).
Less than 6 feet, period? 6ft face to face is very different than back to back.

6 foot isn't going to help you if they cough or sneeze around you nor will a mask alone. When you are that close in you need eye protection as well. Mostly people just need to wash their hands like they have OCD.
The mask is to protect other people from the person wearing the mask.

People think that mask is superman's cape there to protect THEM.

Perhaps! Many of the experts/doctors I've seen on TV say that the value of wearing a mask is to protect others from infected people that wear the mask. That is the point of view I was "speaking" from. If every one is wearing a (good) mask, then the cough or sneeze should be contained to the person wearing the mask.

What precautions can be taken to make Nail Salons, Hair Salons and barber shops safe?

Put your social distancing hat on and you should be fine

EVM8HC6UMAIs_Oi

2 People going for a walk outside should be okay 2 ft apart if they are walking shoulder to shoulder. They are not breathing directly into each other's airspace and they are constantly walking into fresh airspace.

I was just in a gas station and a store for milk n oj

The gas station was selling masks 1.99 each ....capitalism! Lol right on the front counter

In the store people are trying some what but they're mostly oblivious
Yall touching everything anyway lol I mean cmon ....cash and cards flying

LA they're now saying we think 400 to 800k people have or had the kung flu

Id bet the farm They're still lowballiN ...

Open
Open now

wugallo quest.jpeg

Perhaps! Many of the experts/doctors I've seen on TV say that the value of wearing a mask is to protect others from infected people that wear the mask. That is the point of view I was "speaking" from. If every one is wearing a (good) mask, then the cough or sneeze should be contained to the person wearing the mask.

I mask they have put on and taken off for the umpteenth time with their snotty coughy hands they are putting on the shopping cart handles, everything they touch in the store, the checkouts, etc.

Forum List

Back