So, which operating system is the best?

About 5 years into OSX, Macs were the bomb. Stable, far superior memory optimization than Windows (still true) and pleasing-fluid like interface.
Today Macs have wonky memory issues. Especially the last couple years. Programs just die and won't relaunch unless you reboot.
That is how Macs were with MacOs in the 90s.
So to me, Macs have actually fallen back behind Windows in stability and error free computing. Something I thought I would never say.
Possibly, I do not use it so I would not know if/when it fell behind windows in those areas.

It has never had the compatibility I require so it has never even been an option for me and that does not even touch the fact that apple owns you if you use their products. Widows has always had that on Apple if for no other reason than the company ethos itself in what it is trying to do when creating a new product.

And a 'pleasing-fluid like interface' is subjective. Something I have never actually agreed with. Every contact I have ever had with apple interfaces has ALWAYS been a complete failure. Every time I run into something that it simply will not allow me to do without breaking everything.
Linux is still the best OS. It isn't really that close.
Memory use and allocation is so much better than Windows. Literally able to perform the exact same processes with 80% less memory than Windows. Windows is the biggest resource hog of the three. By far.
But... Windows is stable.
But... Windows also spies on everything you do, downloads files/photos/internet history from your computer and sells that info to advertisers. They say so in plain English right in the agreement
Yes, spyware has moved from unfortunate possibility to a hard reality in ALL products. No one really cares, they just want shit to work.
\

Possibly, I do not use it so I would not know if/when it fell behind windows in those areas.

It has never had the compatibility I require so it has never even been an option for me and that does not even touch the fact that apple owns you if you use their products. Widows has always had that on Apple if for no other reason than the company ethos itself in what it is trying to do when creating a new product.

And a 'pleasing-fluid like interface' is subjective. Something I have never actually agreed with. Every contact I have ever had with apple interfaces has ALWAYS been a complete failure. Every time I run into something that it simply will not allow me to do without breaking everything.

Yes, spyware has moved from unfortunate possibility to a hard reality in ALL products. No one really cares, they just want shit to work.
\
Macs also suffered from the "Jobs effect".
Steve Jobs was a minimalist. In his strange house, most of the rooms had no furniture. Even his diet was minimalistic.
Which is why a Mac's mouse only has one button. Also why the power button is so annoyingly hidden and hard to find.
Wozniak talked Jobs out of what he really wanted - no power button at all. Also why the keyboards to Macs are insanely small. And even with high end models the keyboard doesn't have a keypad. Everyone who owns one, the first thing they do is ditch this ridiculously tiny thing:

key.jpg

Macs also suffered from the "Jobs effect".
Steve Jobs was a minimalist. In his strange house, most of the rooms had no furniture. Even his diet was minimalistic.
Which is why a Mac's mouse only has one button. Also why the power button is so annoyingly hidden and hard to find.
Wozniak talked Jobs out of what he really wanted - no power button at all. Also why the keyboards to Macs are insanely small. And even with high end models the keyboard doesn't have a keypad. Everyone who owns one, the first thing they do is ditch this ridiculously tiny thing:

View attachment 693859
Ya, they take it to far. One mouse button was a bad idea.

Minimalism has a place though.

Google had that vision when it started and was one of the core reasons that they did so well. Same with the browser I use, minimal. MS has the opposite problem, they want to fill my computer up with crap I do not want and 'features' no one is interested in.

Ya, they take it to far. One mouse button was a bad idea.

Minimalism has a place though.

Google had that vision when it started and was one of the core reasons that they did so well. Same with the browser I use, minimal. MS has the opposite problem, they want to fill my computer up with crap I do not want and 'features' no one is interested in.
Google is the only one that git it right.
People go to search engines only as a launch pad to where they want to go. It is not the destination.
All the rest filled their search site with images/ads/news articles/weather etc.
Google was where everyone went, because in the late 90s many people were still on dial up. And loading all of those images/articles/ads took time. You would go to Google, enter your search, and already be loading your page before the other search engines had even finished loading.

Google is the only one that git it right.
People go to search engines only as a launch pad to where they want to go. It is not the destination.
All the rest filled their search site with images/ads/news articles/weather etc.
Google was where everyone went, because in the late 90s many people were still on dial up. And loading all of those images/articles/ads took time. You would go to Google, enter your search, and already be loading your page before the other search engines had even finished loading.
Google sucked in the late 90s..you'd start finding smidgens of what you were looking for beginning around page 3 and not before.

Nope, in the late 90s BabelFish and Yahoo worked better.

Google got good between 2003-2008 then started declining and has been largely downhill ever since.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back