So What Happened To Blacks After Slavery?

And now we have a new card. Now because some whites here can't accept truth they invent the gaslighting card. Funny how some of us desire political correctness when it comes to telling whites what they need to hear.

Racial gaslighting (v)
The political, social, economic and cultural process that perpetuates and normalizes a white supremacist reality through pathologizing those who resist.

pathologize
[pəˈTHäləˌjīz]

VERB
*pathologizing (present participle)
  1. regard or treat (someone or something) as psychologically abnormal or unhealthy.
*And this is what you guys do here to people that oppose white racism.

OK -- I MIGHT be able to live with THAT better definition because I DO use some of those other phrases quite a lot talking to my kid and I wouldn't want to GASLIGHT them...

It's rather amusing to watch you blame everything on racist white Republicans...while you totally ignore the fact that the Democratic Party does NOTHING to make the lives of poor blacks better! Oh, they TALK about doing that! They talk up a storm about that! But when you really look at what they've done for poor black Americans it's laughable how little they've done!
They have done more than republicans. Why white republicans like you with an agenda think you can tell me about how terrible the democratic party is and I am just going to agree and change to a republican is laughable. Everything that has allowed us any semblance of mobility republicans have opposed and democrats have not. I know what both parties have done for blacks, you don't. Now I am beginning to get very irritated with your white ass trying to tell me how things are for black people. I am black and will be black until it's time for my transition. So until you turn black, humble yourself when you are talking to me about the situation in a community you don't live in, about families you never grew up in, and a people you really have never had a serious discussion with about what we really think.
They have done more than Republicans...but you can't name what it is that they HAVE done? Any idea how moronic that makes you look, IM2? People like you have been getting used by Democrats for decades now but you're too clueless to figure it out!

It's rather amusing to watch you blame everything on racist white Republicans...while you totally ignore the fact that the Democratic Party does NOTHING to make the lives of poor blacks better! Oh, they TALK about doing that! They talk up a storm about that! But when you really look at what they've done for poor black Americans it's laughable how little they've done!
They have done more than republicans. Why white republicans like you with an agenda think you can tell me about how terrible the democratic party is and I am just going to agree and change to a republican is laughable. Everything that has allowed us any semblance of mobility republicans have opposed and democrats have not. I know what both parties have done for blacks, you don't. Now I am beginning to get very irritated with your white ass trying to tell me how things are for black people. I am black and will be black until it's time for my transition. So until you turn black, humble yourself when you are talking to me about the situation in a community you don't live in, about families you never grew up in, and a people you really have never had a serious discussion with about what we really think.
They have done more than Republicans...but you can't name what it is that they HAVE done? Any idea how moronic that makes you look, IM2? People like you have been getting used by Democrats for decades now but you're too clueless to figure it out!
I have done that. Plenty of times. So you'll just have to deal with my comments because the republican party of today opposes anything that has allowed blacks any semblance of mobility. And just like when you right wingers shut down the provisions of the voting rights act, and republican states started re-implementing voter suppression or when Ward Connerly won his affirmative action case and white universities started reducing the number of non white students, if we allow this republican party to have power for any extended period of time, blacks and other non white citizens will be looking at the 1950's. If not earlier.

1588310588888.png

That's when it began. And that's the way it is now.​

And now we have a new card. Now because some whites here can't accept truth they invent the gaslighting card. Funny how some of us desire political correctness when it comes to telling whites what they need to hear.

Racial gaslighting (v)
The political, social, economic and cultural process that perpetuates and normalizes a white supremacist reality through pathologizing those who resist.

pathologize
[pəˈTHäləˌjīz]

VERB
*pathologizing (present participle)
  1. regard or treat (someone or something) as psychologically abnormal or unhealthy.
*And this is what you guys do here to people that oppose white racism.

OK -- I MIGHT be able to live with THAT better definition because I DO use some of those other phrases quite a lot talking to my kid and I wouldn't want to GASLIGHT them...
We ain't talking about what you say to your kids. But this shit you and some of these other whites try pulling here is exactly what has been described. Because if your kid showed you documented evidence of something wrong happening to them, you would not make excuses or try telling them how what they saw wasn't so.

You see, when the issue of race is discussed, whites are at a disadvantage because so many of them have not done the research necessary to understand just how racism by whites operates. It's because they do not have to navigate through it in order to try to have some semblance of a decent life.

So I will repeat this to start:

"Because most whites have not been trained to think with complexity about racism, and because it benefits white dominance not to do so, we have a very limited understanding of it (Kumashiro, 2009; LaDuke, 2009). We are the least likely to see, comprehend, or be invested in validating people of color’s assertions of racism and being honest about their consequences (King, 1991). At the same time, because of white social, economic, and political power within a white dominant culture, whites are the group in the position to legitimize people of color’s assertions of racism.Being in this position engenders a form of racial arrogance, and in this racial arrogance, whites have little compunction about debating the knowledge of people who have thought deeply about race through research, study, peer-reviewed scholarship, deep and on-going critical self-reflection, interracial relationships, and lived experience (Chinnery, 2008). This expertise is often trivialized and countered with simplistic platitudes, such as “people just need to see each other as individuals” or see each other as humans” or “take personal responsibility.”

White lack of racial humility often leads to declarations of disagreement when in fact the problem is that we do not understand. Whites generally feel free to dismiss informed perspectives rather than have the humility to acknowledge that they are unfamiliar, reflect on them further, seek more information, or sustain a dialogue (DiAngelo & Sensoy, 2009)."

Dr. Robin DiAngelo
The process of racial gaslighting
Omi and Winant’s Racial Formation in the United States ([1986] 2014) became a classic text in race and ethnic politics, in part, because these two sociologists provided an innovative framework for understanding why and how racial categorization changes. Racial formation, first and foremost, is a process: “the sociohistorical process by which racial identities are created, lived out, transformed, and destroyed” (109). Unlike a system – such as capitalism, an ideology – such as colorblind racism, an institution – such as a prison, or even a political era – such as the first Reconstruction, a process does not have particular content in and of itself; rather, it is a web of relationships, perceptions, and social control mechanisms.

In the vein of Omi and Winant’s focus on process, racial gaslighting offers a way to understand how white supremacy is sustained over time. We define racial gaslighting as the political, social, economic and cultural process that perpetuates and normalizes a white supremacist reality through pathologizing those who resist. Just as racial formation rests on the creation of racial projects, racial gaslighting, as a process, relies on the production of particular narratives. These narratives are called racial spectacles (Davis and Ernst 2011).2 Racial spectacles are narratives that obfuscate the existence of a white supremacist state power structure. They are visual and textual displays that tell a particular story about the dynamics of race. For example, former President Bill Clinton gave a speech in 2012 (and again in 2016) in which he lamented the increasing number of deaths among white working-class people,

They could have said these people are dying of a broken heart … . Because they’re the people that were raised to believe the American Dream would be theirs if they worked hard and their children will have a chance to do better – and their dreams were dashed disproportionally to the population as the whole. (Scheiner 2012)

This racial spectacle obfuscates how the white supremacist state power structure actively – since Bacon’s Rebellion in 1676 and onward – has kept poor white people poor. If Clinton had said, “white people are dying of a broken heart because the pathology of whiteness is killing them,” then this narrative would reveal the existence of white supremacy and call into question the role of the state as well.

Racial spectacles may be ongoing cultural narratives that generate media stories and private conversations and, in other cases, are momentary blips in the sea of media stories designed to elicit racial responses. They may become part of a larger, ongoing narrative, or they may fade from view, only to be resurrected 50 years later. Take, for example, the narratives surrounding anti-affirmative action initiative campaigns that began in the 1990s. They used the presumption of white innocence to frame the beneficiaries of affirmative action as undeserving. The synergy created between the public media campaigns and their solicitation of private “everyday opinion” formed a particularly virulent form of racial spectacle that informed voters and thereby created a direct link between the promulgation of these narratives and the creation of law (Davis and Ernst 2011).

Part of the gaslighting involves the issue of reparations. It's time whites stopped lying to themselves about the wealth they are living on, how it was created and the fact you live on compound interest accumulated by racist economic policies. Money made off my ancestors is what you are living on today.

APRIL 15, 2020
Why we need reparations for Black Americans
Rashawn Ray and Andre M. Perry

Today, the average white family has roughly 10 times the amount of wealth as the average Black family. White college graduates have over seven times more wealth than Black college graduates. Making the American Dream an equitable reality demands the same U.S. government that denied wealth to Blacks restore that deferred wealth through reparations to their descendants in the form of individual cash payments in the amount that will close the Black-white racial wealth divide. Additionally, reparations should come in the form of wealth-building opportunities that address racial disparities in education, housing, and business ownership.

In 1860, over $3 billion was the value assigned to the physical bodies of enslaved Black Americans to be used as free labor and production. This was more money than was invested in factories and railroads combined. In 1861, the value placed on cotton produced by enslaved Blacks was $250 million. Slavery enriched white slave owners and their descendants, and it fueled the country’s economy while suppressing wealth building for the enslaved. The United States has yet to compensate descendants of enslaved Black Americans for their labor. Nor has the federal government atoned for the lost equity from anti-Black housing, transportation, and business policy. Slavery, Jim Crow segregation, anti-Black practices like redlining, and other discriminatory public policies in criminal justice and education have robbed Black Americans of the opportunities to build wealth (defined as assets minus debt) afforded to their white peers.

Bootstrapping isn’t going to erase racial wealth divides. As economists William “Sandy” Darity and Darrick Hamilton point out in their 2018 report, What We Get Wrong About Closing the Wealth Gap, “Blacks cannot close the racial wealth gap by changing their individual behavior –i.e. by assuming more ‘personal responsibility’ or acquiring the portfolio management insights associated with ‘[financial] literacy.’” In fact, white high school dropouts have more wealth than Black college graduates. Moreover, the racial wealth gap did not result from a lack of labor. Rather, it came from a lack of financial capital.

Reparations—a system of redress for egregious injustices—are not foreign to the United States. Native Americans have received land and billions of dollars for various benefits and programs for being forcibly exiled from their native lands. For Japanese Americans, $1.5 billion was paid to those who were interned during World War II. Additionally, the United States, via the Marshall Plan, helped to ensure that Jews received reparations for the Holocaust, including making various investments over time. In 1952, West Germany agreed to pay 3.45 billion Deutsche Marks to Holocaust survivors.

Black Americans are the only group that has not received reparations for state-sanctioned racial discrimination, while slavery afforded some white families the ability to accrue tremendous wealth. And, we must note that American slavery was particularly brutal. About 15 percent of the enslaved shipped from Western Africa died during transport. The enslaved were regularly beaten and lynched for frivolous infractions. Slavery also disrupted families as one in three marriages were split up and one in five children were separated from their parents. The case for reparations can be made on economic, social, and moral grounds. The United States had multiple opportunities to atone for slavery—each a missed chance to make the American Dream a reality—but has yet to undertake significant action.

A quote from Dr. Kings “I Have a Dream speech. "

We have come to our nation’s capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. … It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked “insufficient funds.” But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt.
Given the lingering legacy of slavery on the racial wealth gap, the monetary value we know that was placed on enslaved Blacks, the fact that other groups have received reparations, and the fact that Blacks were originally awarded reparations only to have them rescinded provide overwhelming evidence that it is time to pay reparations to the descendants of enslaved Blacks.

I have done that. Plenty of times. So you'll just have to deal with my comments because the republican party of today opposes anything that has allowed blacks any semblance of mobility. And just like when you right wingers shut down the provisions of the voting rights act, and republican states started re-implementing voter suppression or when Ward Connerly won his affirmative action case and white universities started reducing the number of non white students, if we allow this republican party to have power for any extended period of time, blacks and other non white citizens will be looking at the 1950's. If not earlier.

View attachment 330273
That's when it began. And that's the way it is now.​
It's pathetic that you can't come up with anything that Obama and the Democrats did when they had total power to help blacks in America...yet you think blacks should vote for them ANYWAYS because of something MLK said back in 1964? You're a chump, IM2!

Part of the gaslighting involves the issue of reparations. It's time whites stopped lying to themselves about the wealth they are living on, how it was created and the fact you live on compound interest accumulated by racist economic policies. Money made off my ancestors is what you are living on today.

APRIL 15, 2020

Today, the average white family has roughly 10 times the amount of wealth as the average Black family. White college graduates have over seven times more wealth than Black college graduates. Making the American Dream an equitable reality demands the same U.S. government that denied wealth to Blacks restore that deferred wealth through reparations to their descendants in the form of individual cash payments in the amount that will close the Black-white racial wealth divide. Additionally, reparations should come in the form of wealth-building opportunities that address racial disparities in education, housing, and business ownership.

In 1860, over $3 billion was the value assigned to the physical bodies of enslaved Black Americans to be used as free labor and production. This was more money than was invested in factories and railroads combined. In 1861, the value placed on cotton produced by enslaved Blacks was $250 million. Slavery enriched white slave owners and their descendants, and it fueled the country’s economy while suppressing wealth building for the enslaved. The United States has yet to compensate descendants of enslaved Black Americans for their labor. Nor has the federal government atoned for the lost equity from anti-Black housing, transportation, and business policy. Slavery, Jim Crow segregation, anti-Black practices like redlining, and other discriminatory public policies in criminal justice and education have robbed Black Americans of the opportunities to build wealth (defined as assets minus debt) afforded to their white peers.

Bootstrapping isn’t going to erase racial wealth divides. As economists William “Sandy” Darity and Darrick Hamilton point out in their 2018 report, What We Get Wrong About Closing the Wealth Gap, “Blacks cannot close the racial wealth gap by changing their individual behavior –i.e. by assuming more ‘personal responsibility’ or acquiring the portfolio management insights associated with ‘[financial] literacy.’” In fact, white high school dropouts have more wealth than Black college graduates. Moreover, the racial wealth gap did not result from a lack of labor. Rather, it came from a lack of financial capital.

Reparations—a system of redress for egregious injustices—are not foreign to the United States. Native Americans have received land and billions of dollars for various benefits and programs for being forcibly exiled from their native lands. For Japanese Americans, $1.5 billion was paid to those who were interned during World War II. Additionally, the United States, via the Marshall Plan, helped to ensure that Jews received reparations for the Holocaust, including making various investments over time. In 1952, West Germany agreed to pay 3.45 billion Deutsche Marks to Holocaust survivors.

Black Americans are the only group that has not received reparations for state-sanctioned racial discrimination, while slavery afforded some white families the ability to accrue tremendous wealth. And, we must note that American slavery was particularly brutal. About 15 percent of the enslaved shipped from Western Africa died during transport. The enslaved were regularly beaten and lynched for frivolous infractions. Slavery also disrupted families as one in three marriages were split up and one in five children were separated from their parents. The case for reparations can be made on economic, social, and moral grounds. The United States had multiple opportunities to atone for slavery—each a missed chance to make the American Dream a reality—but has yet to undertake significant action.

We have come to our nation’s capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. … It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked “insufficient funds.” But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt.
Given the lingering legacy of slavery on the racial wealth gap, the monetary value we know that was placed on enslaved Blacks, the fact that other groups have received reparations, and the fact that Blacks were originally awarded reparations only to have them rescinded provide overwhelming evidence that it is time to pay reparations to the descendants of enslaved Blacks.

I think the question of “reparations for slavery” or for Jim Crow or institutionalized racial discrimination ought to be discussed in another thread. This thread is supposed to be about “What happened to blacks after slavery?” Reparations is a different issue and raises whole different questions.

APRIL 15, 2020

Interesting concept! Here's a question for you in return though, IM2! Since the inception of LBJ's Great Society and the War on Poverty the United States has spent 22 Trillion dollars on anti poverty programs of which I think even a racist like yourself would admit the black community has received a lion's share? So how has that benefitted the black community? Other than the total breakdown of the black family? The lack of self reliance and intergenerational dependence on welfare?

The proof is rather stark that the War on Poverty's welfare system has been a colossal failure and the worst thing that could have happened to the black community but you'd have us ignore all that and institute an even larger "free money" handout to that same community?

APRIL 15, 2020

I think the question of “reparations for slavery” or for Jim Crow or institutionalized racial discrimination ought to be discussed in another thread. This thread is supposed to be about “What happened to blacks after slavery?” Reparations is a different issue and raises whole different questions.
You don't know IM2 very well yet, Thomas! All of his threads eventually get around to reparations for slavery because of "institutionalized racial discrimination"!

APRIL 15, 2020

You don't know IM2 very well yet, Thomas! All of his threads eventually get around to reparations for slavery because of "institutionalized racial discrimination"!

So? Even if that were true, it wouldn’t change the fact that all your own comments have the unpleasant ring of “racial gaslighting.”

APRIL 15, 2020

So? Even if that were true, it wouldn’t change the fact that all your own comments have the unpleasant ring of “racial gaslighting.”
LOL...you too, Tom?

If you want to establish a reputation based on the same nonsense that IM2 posts, Tom then knock yourself out! Racial gaslighting? Seriously?

APRIL 15, 2020

him and it
Don't plan to discuss reparations here, the issue is about the wealth gap caused by the actions of government after slavery. I've heard the opinions of those like oldstyle and others like him multiple times on this matter.

APRIL 15, 2020

Interesting concept! Here's a question for you in return though, IM2! Since the inception of LBJ's Great Society and the War on Poverty the United States has spent 22 Trillion dollars on anti poverty programs of which I think even a racist like yourself would admit the black community has received a lion's share? So how has that benefitted the black community? Other than the total breakdown of the black family? The lack of self reliance and intergenerational dependence on welfare?

The proof is rather stark that the War on Poverty's welfare system has been a colossal failure and the worst thing that could have happened to the black community but you'd have us ignore all that and institute an even larger "free money" handout to that same community?

This myth of 22 trillion on blacks is untrue. Again as a white racist you have held on to a bullshit meme started by Daniel Monyihan. During those mythical days when the black family was supposedly intact, blacks had a 55 percent poverty rate, a 25 percent high school graduation rate and very few people going to college. Things are far better than that now. Furthermore the majority of that mythical 22 trillion went to whites.

The reality here racist, is that whites have been the beneficiaries of a myriad of government programs since the nation started and even more specifically the last century that have amounted to far more than 22 trillion at the exclusion of blacks whereby the War on Poverty did not exclude whites.

APRIL 15, 2020

If you want to establish a reputation based on the same nonsense that IM2 posts, Tom then knock yourself out! Racial gaslighting? Seriously?
Tell us oldstyle, When did racism from whites end in America? Answer the question and don't ask me one.

APRIL 15, 2020

This myth of 22 trillion on blacks is untrue. Again as a white racist you have held on to a bullshit meme started by Daniel Monyihan. During those mythical days when the black family was supposedly intact, blacks had a 55 percent poverty rate, a 25 percent high school graduation rate and very few people going to college. Things are far better than that now. Furthermore the majority of that mythical 22 trillion went to whites.

The reality here racist, is that whites have been the beneficiaries of a myriad of government programs since the nation started and even more specifically the last century that have amounted to far more than 22 trillion at the exclusion of blacks whereby the War on Poverty did not exclude whites.
Of course it didn't exclude whites! Newflash, IM2...there are just as many poor whites as there are poor blacks! The welfare State hurts them just as much as it does blacks! It's failed policy and skin pigmentation has nothing to do with the failure yet you think that handing out more free money is going to fix things? You're delusional!

Tell us oldstyle, When did racism from whites end in America? Answer the question and don't ask me one.
Who ever said it had ended? What's amusing though is watching someone like you declaring that racism is the number one problem in the black community when America elected a black President not once but twice! Racism isn't the thing that's holding back poor black communities! They're being held back by the liberal policies that were supposed to help them only you're so fixated on perceived racism that you can't recognize where the real problem is!

Forum List

Back