So the Oceans are rising are they?

You wish to argue the subject, go talk to the physicists who worked all of this out over a century ago. You can find how GHGs work on many differant sites. And your analysis is lacking, to say the least. I suggest you retake grade school science.

Actually, I prefer to pay attention to modern physicists who state that the greenhouse hypothesis is a steaming pile of crap. Want to see the published peer reviewed papers saying so?

Sure, wiredup&bentover, I'll call your bluff. Show us all of these supposed "peer reviewed papers" by "modern physicists" that debunk the greenhouse effect.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....

Bender, you are one silly fool. Sematics is certainly not your strong suit.

And you remain unable to offer up any observed evidence to support your claims.

You wish to argue the subject, go talk to the physicists who worked all of this out over a century ago. You can find how GHGs work on many differant sites. And your analysis is lacking, to say the least. I suggest you retake grade school science.

Actually, I prefer to pay attention to modern physicists who state that the greenhouse hypothesis is a steaming pile of crap. Want to see the published peer reviewed papers saying so?

Yes I do.

Image.jpg

Sure, wiredup&bentover, I'll call your bluff. Show us all of these supposed "peer reviewed papers" by "modern physicists" that debunk the greenhouse effect.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.....

Yes I do.

Well, the retard with the cartoon mentality is still playing with himself but I notice that ol' wiredup&bentover can't back up his lies with any evidence, as he claimed he could. As usual.

Last edited:
vers-diff-may-2011-550x371.png

vers-compare-550x429.png

vers-compare-recent-550x429.png

Sea Level Update: More Upward Revision Found

I have to say I was looking forward to the eventual release of the Global Sea level data from the University of Colorado because it was clear from the last update in August that 2010 was going to show a significant drop in sea level from 2009 and I was curious how it would be dealt with. Now it is clear that the latest update included a substantial revision to the data, not just the recent data, but all the data. I guess I should not be surprised by this as it has happened with numerous other data sets. If the data doesn’t support your view, do a revision that fixes the problem.

Nor is this a trivial change. It adds on average 2.6 mm to the global sea level, but not surprisingly it does so more as time goes forward. That average of 2.6 mm is from 1993-2010. The average difference in 2009-2010 is a stunning 4.7mm. After enough tweaking they managed to get 2010 to show a minor increase in sea level from 2009. Here is the version difference between the data that was released last fall and the most recent version.The Inconvenient Skeptic » Sea Level Update: More Upward Revision Found

all of these data sets keep getting revised, and always in the same direction. up.

UC tipped their hand by delaying the updates so many interested spectators made sure the past info was archived, and the same thing is happening to other data sets that seem to change more often than Old Rocks' underwear (just teasing).

why dont the organizations involved ever post up the changes so that people can see the differences? why not list the adjustments, give the reasons, and show the difference pre and post. it would be a lot less suspicious than the large discrepancies we see from one version to another.

In other words, the University of Colorado found some errors in their previous data, and corrected those errors. But the dingbat thought the errors should have gone the other way.

Sorry 'bout that, old boy, reality often intrudes on one's daydreams.

In other words, the University of Colorado found some errors in their previous data, and corrected those errors. But the dingbat thought the errors should have gone the other way.

"Data":eusa_dance::eusa_dance::2up:

Nobody cares about the data anymore s0n.......its 2011.

Maybe makes for some lame party discussion though..................

prev__1242874910.jpg

Last edited:

the problem with adding 0.3 mm per year per year is the starting point. before the sp you have to subtract 0.3 mm to even things out (unless you think the rebound only started 20 years ago). I guess the 30 mm per century 'adjustment' helps bring the unadjusted real sea rise more into line with the exaggerated predictions.

Well no, it appears they are not. Surprise surprise. And looky here a real peer reviewed study by real scientists. :lol::lol::lol: Poor oltrakarfraud.

worldwidegauge records as shown in Miller and Douglas (2006)

Abstract:

Sea-Level Acceleration Based on U.S. Tide Gauges and Extensions of Previous Global-Gauge Analyses

J. R. Houston† and R. G. Dean‡ †Director Emeritus, Engineer Research and Development Center, Corps of Engineers, 3909 Halls Ferry Road, Vicksburg, MS 39180, U.S.A. [email protected]

‡Professor Emeritus, Department of Civil and Coastal Civil Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32611, U.S.A. [email protected]

Without sea-level acceleration, the 20th-century sea-level trend of 1.7 mm/y would produce a rise of only approximately 0.15 m from 2010 to 2100; therefore, sea-level acceleration is a critical component of projected sea-level rise. To determine this acceleration, we analyze monthly-averaged records for 57 U.S. tide gauges in the Permanent Service for Mean Sea Level (PSMSL) data base that have lengths of 60–156 years. Least-squares quadratic analysis of each of the 57 records are performed to quantify accelerations, and 25 gauge records having data spanning from 1930 to 2010 are analyzed. In both cases we obtain small average sea-level decelerations. To compare these results with worldwide data, we extend the analysis of Douglas (1992) by an additional 25 years and analyze revised data of Church and White (2006) from 1930 to 2007 and also obtain small sea-level decelerations similar to those we obtain from U.S. gauge records.

Received: October 5, 2010; Accepted: November 26, 2010; Published Online: February 23, 2011

Sea-Level Acceleration Based on U.S. Tide Gauges and Extensions of Previous Global-Gauge Analyses, J. R. Houston and R. G. Dean

Discussion: (excerpt)

We analyzed the complete records of 57 U.S. tide gauges that had average record lengths of 82 years and records from1930 to 2010 for 25 gauges, and we obtained small decelerations of 20.0014 and20.0123 mm/y2, respectively. We obtained similar decelerations using worldwide-gauge records in the original data set of Church andWhite (2006) and a 2009 revision (for the periods of 1930–2001 and 1930–2007) and by extending Douglas’s (1992) analyses of worldwide gauges by 25 years.

The extension of the Douglas (1992) data from 1905 to 1985 for 25 years to 2010 included the period from 1993 to 2010 when satellite altimeters recorded a sea-level trend greater than that of the 20th century, yet the addition of the 25 years resulted in a slightly greater deceleration.

Conclusion:

Our analyses do not indicate acceleration in sea level in U.S. tide gauge records during the 20th century. Instead, for each time period we consider, the records show small decelerations that are consistent with a number of earlier studies of worldwide-gauge records. The decelerations that we obtain are opposite in sign and one to two orders of magnitude less than the +0.07 to +0.28 mm/y2 accelerations that are required to reach sea levels predicted for 2100 by Vermeer and Rahmsdorf (2009), Jevrejeva, Moore, and Grinsted (2010), and Grinsted, Moore, and Jevrejeva (2010). Bindoff et al. (2007) note an increase in worldwide temperature from 1906 to 2005 of 0.74uC.

It is essential that investigations continue to address why this worldwide-temperature increase has not produced acceleration of global sea level over the past 100 years, and indeed why global sea level has possibly decelerated for at least the last 80 years.

Journal of Coastal Research online journal - Sea-Level Acceleration Based on U.S. Tide Gauges and Extensions of Previous Global-Gauge Analyses

OOPS Never-Mind! Climate Scientists Withdraw IPCC-Related Article Claiming Sea Is Rising « PA Pundits – International

the whole world drills our oil in the gulf of mexico - amerika builds useless 10th. centure chi com windmills - the world laffs at amerika !

But...but...I believe Al Gore. I...I..mean just because he admitted to lying a few times. I just know he was telling the truth about the oceans rising 20 feet.

I despise that man. That man wouldn't tell the truth to save his own mother's life. Since the day he stood before the NAACP while running for President and claimed his father lost his bid for re-election because of his support for civil rights, I knew NOTHING that came out of his mouth would be the truth. And it hasn't. He is a hardcore, skilled and PRACTICED liar of the first rank.

His father LED the Senate Democrat filibuster trying to PREVENT the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His father was a lifelong FILTHY DEMOCRAT RACIST and he died as one. Since he was willing to stand up before a black audience and tell that whopper, I have no reason to believe the acorn didn't fall far from the tree and that he too, after talking about how much he ADMIRED his father is also a filthy racist at heart. He is just more willing than the average politician to say whatever he thinks will get him votes even if it means lying about what his own father REALLY did and REALLY believed.

Let me see, Gore claims New York City would be under water in less than 20 years and that was several years ago -meaning sea levels should have already risen at least 7 feet since then.

But in fact sea levels have been rising for the past 14,000 years as the result of leaving the last major ice age. That is what happens after leaving an ice age -and if sea levels were dropping, it would indicate moving towards another ice age. That rise has been linear at a rate of about 3.3 millimeters a year -or about 1 foot per CENTURY. But the really bad news for that lying asshole Gore -that rate has actually SLOWED since 2004. We are actually just a little bit overdue for another ice age which is the NORM on this planet -while the amount of time spent in the climate mankind has lived in is actually fleeting. Geologically speaking of course. Earth spends most of its time in one ice age or another and the fact the rise in sea levels indicates a slowing is probably an indication that the cycle between ice ages is just about at its peak and will (geologically) soon start swinging back the other way. But man didn't cause earth to leave the last ice age -and he won't be the cause of it entering the next one either. That gives the little scraps of life scrabbling on the surface a lot more POWER than they really have. Man is NOTHING compared to forces of nature -that is so powerful that if all mankind died tomorrow, nature can and will remove the surface evidence we even existed in an amazing short period of time. In spite of the insistence of the left, man isn't capable of destroying the planet which will survive anything we do and get on like we never existed. We can only destroy ourselves.

And WHY is it people are still FALSELY claiming the hottest years on record were all in the last decade? We now know that was a LIE. It is a FRAUDULENT claim based on deliberately rigged calculations that were made by a team led by James Hansen -you know, the same guy who created the phony hysteria about the Y2K bug? And we now know most of the hottest years on record happened before WWll. And the single hottest year on record was in 1934 -long before any of this supposed "massive" build up of CO2 that is in reality not "massive" after all. The fraud was proven by a Canadian statistician -who initially was trying to verify the data of global warming scientists only to discover one fraud after another -and also discovered that famous "hockey stick" chart was also a FRAUD. Which everyone with any knowledge in climatology already knew indicated a huge error and was fraudulent right off the bat -because climate change never looks like a straight line in any direction under any circumstances -but a roller coaster. Amazing that Hansen got a dramatic hockey stick straight line up though -but oops, it too turned out to be FRAUD and a deliberate one at that. And let's not forget this was done by the very same LYING ASS DELIBERATE FRAUD PUSHING SCAM ARTIST who publicly stated that all global warming deniers should be put on trial for "crimes against humanity".

People are still repeating the claim that the arctic ice is rapidly melting with predictions about it being bare of ice in 20-30 years. Turns out that melting was due to KNOWN cyclical weather patterns -a pattern that all scientists knew about but the dishonest saw as too good to pass up to promote their LIES. When the cycle continued and the ice stopped thinning and started growing again -the liars scrambled claiming the new ice was somehow "thinner" and and therefore would vanish again as soon as it got warmer again. Two trips to try and measure this "abnormal" ice had to end due to ice but in fact there is no abnormal melting/icing patterns going on at all. It is still part of the same cycle of wind change that even the liars KNEW they would be lying when insisting it was due to warmer temperatures. In reality it was due to the WIND blowing ice further into warmer waters -something that occurs in CYCLES.

Or how about Gore's LYING ASS claims about the polar bears he is STILL lying about! Efforts to get him to admit his claims about them are wrong are met with more LIES. Turns out his favorite picture of the stranded, desperate polar bear that EVERYONE has seen by now -is a total FAKE. It was taken nearly ten years earlier, close to shore and NOT out to sea as Gore claimed -and was part of a documentary following the hunting habits of the polar bear. Not a picture showing a bear stranded out to sea who was going to drown because the sliver of ice he was on was melting. Polar bear populations have gone from about 18,000 to close to 27,000 over the past 40 years with a healthy breeding population. In spite of that FACT, the US put the polar bear on the "endangered" list last year. For POLITICAL reasons -not because its true.

How about the claims tree rings prove temperatures have risen dramatically WORLDWIDE? The basis for this claim were measurements taken ONLY at a Siberian peninsula of just......wait for it.......12 trees. TWELVE FUCKING TREES all located in the same spot and the global warming SCAM ARTISTS claimed tree rings proved there had been a dramatic rise in temperatures AROUND THE WORLD.

Come on you mindless liberal lemmings. If global warming had been part of the political agenda of the right who pushed it nonstop, beat that drum -and then all this identical and nonstop fraud and corruption kept pouring out of it like pus, showing how the right has bastardized and corrupted science, willing to set back scientific advancement for as long as it took before the real facts were undeniable -would you STILL be a dumb ass PATSY and insist that in spite of the nonstop PROOF this has been an orchestrated fraud perpetrated by the corrupt right, it is still all true anyway? Really? If so you HAVE to be a real danger to yourself.

I think a hell of a lot of people belong in prison over this DELIBERATE FRAUD and the bastardization and politicization of science in the effort to pressure the entire world to worship at the altar of the leftwing extremist agenda. The real question is who was scheduled to be the REAL beneficiaries of this? Because the people behind this chose to sacrifice TRUTH and set back scientific advancement for as long as possible, hoping the truth would never come out in their lifetimes. If you put a political agenda before TRUTH and HONEST SCIENCE FREE FROM BEING POLITICALLY HIJACKED - that makes you pretty fucking evil in my book.

Last edited:
But...but...I believe Al Gore. I...I..mean just because he admitted to lying a few times. I just know he was telling the truth about the oceans rising 20 feet.

I despise that man. That man wouldn't tell the truth to save his own mother's life. Since the day he stood before the NAACP while running for President and claimed his father lost his bid for re-election because of his support for civil rights, I knew NOTHING that came out of his mouth would be the truth. And it hasn't. He is a hardcore, skilled and PRACTICED liar of the first rank.

His father LED the Senate Democrat filibuster trying to PREVENT the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His father was a lifelong FILTHY DEMOCRAT RACIST and he died as one. Since he was willing to stand up before a black audience and tell that whopper, I have no reason to believe the acorn didn't fall far from the tree and that he too, after talking about how much he ADMIRED his father is also a filthy racist at heart. He is just more willing than the average politician to say whatever he thinks will get him votes even if it means lying about what his own father REALLY did and REALLY believed.

Let me see, Gore claims New York City would be under water in less than 20 years and that was several years ago -meaning sea levels should have already risen at least 7 feet since then.

But in fact sea levels have been rising for the past 14,000 years as the result of leaving the last major ice age. That is what happens after leaving an ice age -and if sea levels were dropping, it would indicate moving towards another ice age. That rise has been linear at a rate of about 3.3 millimeters a year -or about 1 foot per CENTURY. But the really bad news for that lying asshole Gore -that rate has actually SLOWED since 2004. We are actually just a little bit overdue for another ice age which is the NORM on this planet -while the amount of time spent in the climate mankind has lived in is actually fleeting. Geologically speaking of course. Earth spends most of its time in one ice age or another and the fact the rise in sea levels indicates a slowing is probably an indication that the cycle between ice ages is just about at its peak and will (geologically) soon start swinging back the other way. But man didn't cause earth to leave the last ice age -and he won't be the cause of it entering the next one either. That gives the little scraps of life scrabbling on the surface a lot more POWER than they really have. Man is NOTHING compared to forces of nature -that is so powerful that if all mankind died tomorrow, nature can and will remove the surface evidence we even existed in an amazing short period of time. In spite of the insistence of the left, man isn't capable of destroying the planet which will survive anything we do and get on like we never existed. We can only destroy ourselves.

And WHY is it people are still FALSELY claiming the hottest years on record were all in the last decade? We now know that was a LIE. It is a FRAUDULENT claim based on deliberately rigged calculations that were made by a team led by James Hansen -you know, the same guy who created the phony hysteria about the Y2K bug? And we now know most of the hottest years on record happened before WWll. And the single hottest year on record was in 1934 -long before any of this supposed "massive" build up of CO2 that is in reality not "massive" after all. The fraud was proven by a Canadian statistician -who initially was trying to verify the data of global warming scientists only to discover one fraud after another -and also discovered that famous "hockey stick" chart was also a FRAUD. Which everyone with any knowledge in climatology already knew indicated a huge error and was fraudulent right off the bat -because climate change never looks like a straight line in any direction under any circumstances -but a roller coaster. Amazing that Hansen got a dramatic hockey stick straight line up though -but oops, it too turned out to be FRAUD and a deliberate one at that. And let's not forget this was done by the very same LYING ASS DELIBERATE FRAUD PUSHING SCAM ARTIST who publicly stated that all global warming deniers should be put on trial for "crimes against humanity".

People are still repeating the claim that the arctic ice is rapidly melting with predictions about it being bare of ice in 20-30 years. Turns out that melting was due to KNOWN cyclical weather patterns -a pattern that all scientists knew about but the dishonest saw as too good to pass up to promote their LIES. When the cycle continued and the ice stopped thinning and started growing again -the liars scrambled claiming the new ice was somehow "thinner" and and therefore would vanish again as soon as it got warmer again. Two trips to try and measure this "abnormal" ice had to end due to ice but in fact there is no abnormal melting/icing patterns going on at all. It is still part of the same cycle of wind change that even the liars KNEW they would be lying when insisting it was due to warmer temperatures. In reality it was due to the WIND blowing ice further into warmer waters -something that occurs in CYCLES.

Or how about Gore's LYING ASS claims about the polar bears he is STILL lying about! Efforts to get him to admit his claims about them are wrong are met with more LIES. Turns out his favorite picture of the stranded, desperate polar bear that EVERYONE has seen by now -is a total FAKE. It was taken nearly ten years earlier, close to shore and NOT out to sea as Gore claimed -and was part of a documentary following the hunting habits of the polar bear. Not a picture showing a bear stranded out to sea who was going to drown because the sliver of ice he was on was melting. Polar bear populations have gone from about 18,000 to close to 27,000 over the past 40 years with a healthy breeding population. In spite of that FACT, the US put the polar bear on the "endangered" list last year. For POLITICAL reasons -not because its true.

How about the claims tree rings prove temperatures have risen dramatically WORLDWIDE? The basis for this claim were measurements taken ONLY at a Siberian peninsula of just......wait for it.......12 trees. TWELVE FUCKING TREES all located in the same spot and the global warming SCAM ARTISTS claimed tree rings proved there had been a dramatic rise in temperatures AROUND THE WORLD.

Come on you mindless liberal lemmings. If global warming had been part of the political agenda of the right who pushed it nonstop, beat that drum -and then all this identical and nonstop fraud and corruption kept pouring out of it like pus, showing how the right has bastardized and corrupted science, willing to set back scientific advancement for as long as it took before the real facts were undeniable -would you STILL be a dumb ass PATSY and insist that in spite of the nonstop PROOF this has been an orchestrated fraud perpetrated by the corrupt right, it is still all true anyway? Really? If so you HAVE to be a real danger to yourself.

I think a hell of a lot of people belong in prison over this DELIBERATE FRAUD and the bastardization and politicization of science in the effort to pressure the entire world to worship at the altar of the leftwing extremist agenda. The real question is who was scheduled to be the REAL beneficiaries of this? Because the people behind this chose to sacrifice TRUTH and set back scientific advancement for as long as possible, hoping the truth would never come out in their lifetimes. If you put a political agenda before TRUTH and HONEST SCIENCE FREE FROM BEING POLITICALLY HIJACKED - that makes you pretty fucking evil in my book.

Just more nutjob delusional denier cult myths and lies.

Not worth debunking really.... but just as an example....let's look at just one sentence in your braindead rant.

"And the single hottest year on record was in 1934 -long before any of this supposed "massive" build up of CO2 that is in reality not "massive" after all."

1934 was one of the warmest year on record for the lower 48 states of the USA only, which is less than 2% of the entire planet. Globally, 1934 was the 47th warmest year on record.

In November of 2009, USHCN version2 made a slight adjustment upward in U.S. mean temperature over the last decade, which puts 2006 and 1998 above 1934. Almost nil implication as far as global warming goes, just like the previous adjustment.

Global data: Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Analysis Graphs and Plots

Revised U.S. data: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.D.txt

Denier cult myth - 1934 is the hottest year on record
(excerpts)

The skeptic argument...1934 - hottest year on record
"In August 2007, Steve McIntyre noticed a strange discontinuity in US temperature data, occurring around January 2000. McKintyre notified NASA who acknowledged the problem as an 'oversight' that would be fixed in the next data refresh. The warmest year on US record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place." (Daily Tech).

What the science says...1934 is the hottest year on record in the USA which only comprises 2% of the globe. According to NASA temperature records, the hottest year on record globally is 2005 [update- 2010 is now tied with 2005 for the hottest year on record].

Steve McIntyre's discovery of a glitch in the GISS temperature data is an impressive achievement. Make no mistake, it's an embarrassing error on the part of NASA. But what is the significance?

NASA's "Y2K" glitch

Contrary to many reports, the error wasn't a Y2K bug but a mixup over data corrections with the NOAA. NASA GISS obtain much of their temperature data from the NOAA who adjust the data to filter out primarily time-of-observation bias (although their corrections also include inhomogeneities and urban warming - more on NOAA adjustments). From January 2000, NASA were mistakenly using unadjusted data.

USA temperature versus global temperature trends

What is often overlooked is the temperature adjustments only applied to temperatures in 48 U.S. states. The U.S.'s land area accounts for only 2% of the earth's total surface area. Thus this has had infinitesimal effect on global trends.

The graph below (courtesy of Open Mind) compares the global temperature trend from before and after adjustments. Before the error was discovered, the trend was 0.185°C/decade. After corrections were made, the trend was still 0.185°C/decade. The change to the global mean was less than one thousandth of a degree.

GISS_temp_Y2K_adjustment.gif

Figure 1: Global temperature anomaly before (red squares) and after (black diamonds) NASA's "Y2K" corrections (Open Mind).

© Copyright 2011 John Cook

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.)

And then there's this nonsense you pulled out of your ass:
"...this supposed "massive" build up of CO2 that is in reality not "massive" after all."

CO2 levels in our atmosphere are currently at 393ppm, which is about a 40% increase over pre-industrial levels.

Carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(excerpts)

The most direct method for measuring atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations for periods before direct sampling is to measure bubbles of air (fluid or gas inclusions) trapped in the Antarctic or Greenland ice caps. The most widely accepted of such studies come from a variety of Antarctic cores and indicate that atmospheric CO2 levels were about 260–280 ppmv immediately before industrial emissions began and did not vary much from this level during the preceding 10,000 years (10 ka). In 1832 Antarctic ice core levels were 284 ppmv.

The concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) in Earth's atmosphere is approximately 390 ppm (parts per million) by volume as of 2010 [393 now] and rose by 1.9 ppm/yr during 2000–2009. Carbon dioxide is...a prominent greenhouse gas. Despite its relatively small overall concentration in the atmosphere, CO2 is an important component of Earth's atmosphere because it absorbs and emits infrared radiation at wavelengths of 4.26 µm (asymmetric stretching vibrational mode) and 14.99 µm (bending vibrational mode), thereby playing a role in the greenhouse effect. The present level is higher than at any time during the last 800 thousand years, and likely higher than in the past 20 million years.

Last edited:

Just more nutjob delusional denier cult myths and lies.

Not worth debunking really.... but just as an example....let's look at just one sentence in your braindead rant.

"And the single hottest year on record was in 1934 -long before any of this supposed "massive" build up of CO2 that is in reality not "massive" after all."

1934 was one of the warmest year on record for the lower 48 states of the USA only, which is less than 2% of the entire planet. Globally, 1934 was the 47th warmest year on record.

In November of 2009, USHCN version2 made a slight adjustment upward in U.S. mean temperature over the last decade, which puts 2006 and 1998 above 1934. Almost nil implication as far as global warming goes, just like the previous adjustment.

Global data: Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis: Analysis Graphs and Plots

Revised U.S. data: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/graphs/Fig.D.txt

Denier cult myth - 1934 is the hottest year on record
(excerpts)

The skeptic argument...1934 - hottest year on record
"In August 2007, Steve McIntyre noticed a strange discontinuity in US temperature data, occurring around January 2000. McKintyre notified NASA who acknowledged the problem as an 'oversight' that would be fixed in the next data refresh. The warmest year on US record is now 1934. 1998 (long trumpeted by the media as record-breaking) moves to second place." (Daily Tech).

What the science says...1934 is the hottest year on record in the USA which only comprises 2% of the globe. According to NASA temperature records, the hottest year on record globally is 2005 [update- 2010 is now tied with 2005 for the hottest year on record].

Steve McIntyre's discovery of a glitch in the GISS temperature data is an impressive achievement. Make no mistake, it's an embarrassing error on the part of NASA. But what is the significance?

NASA's "Y2K" glitch

Contrary to many reports, the error wasn't a Y2K bug but a mixup over data corrections with the NOAA. NASA GISS obtain much of their temperature data from the NOAA who adjust the data to filter out primarily time-of-observation bias (although their corrections also include inhomogeneities and urban warming - more on NOAA adjustments). From January 2000, NASA were mistakenly using unadjusted data.

USA temperature versus global temperature trends

What is often overlooked is the temperature adjustments only applied to temperatures in 48 U.S. states. The U.S.'s land area accounts for only 2% of the earth's total surface area. Thus this has had infinitesimal effect on global trends.

The graph below (courtesy of Open Mind) compares the global temperature trend from before and after adjustments. Before the error was discovered, the trend was 0.185°C/decade. After corrections were made, the trend was still 0.185°C/decade. The change to the global mean was less than one thousandth of a degree.

GISS_temp_Y2K_adjustment.gif

Figure 1: Global temperature anomaly before (red squares) and after (black diamonds) NASA's "Y2K" corrections (Open Mind).

© Copyright 2011 John Cook

(In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, this material is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes.)

And then there's this nonsense you pulled out of your ass:
"...this supposed "massive" build up of CO2 that is in reality not "massive" after all."

CO2 levels in our atmosphere are currently at 393ppm, which is about a 40% increase over pre-industrial levels.

Carbon dioxide in Earth's atmosphere
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(excerpts)

The most direct method for measuring atmospheric carbon dioxide concentrations for periods before direct sampling is to measure bubbles of air (fluid or gas inclusions) trapped in the Antarctic or Greenland ice caps. The most widely accepted of such studies come from a variety of Antarctic cores and indicate that atmospheric CO2 levels were about 260–280 ppmv immediately before industrial emissions began and did not vary much from this level during the preceding 10,000 years (10 ka). In 1832 Antarctic ice core levels were 284 ppmv.

The concentration of carbon dioxide (CO2) in Earth's atmosphere is approximately 390 ppm (parts per million) by volume as of 2010 [393 now] and rose by 1.9 ppm/yr during 2000–2009. Carbon dioxide is...a prominent greenhouse gas. Despite its relatively small overall concentration in the atmosphere, CO2 is an important component of Earth's atmosphere because it absorbs and emits infrared radiation at wavelengths of 4.26 µm (asymmetric stretching vibrational mode) and 14.99 µm (bending vibrational mode), thereby playing a role in the greenhouse effect. The present level is higher than at any time during the last 800 thousand years, and likely higher than in the past 20 million years.

Wait a second, 1934 was the warmest year in the lower 48 and you throw that out because "the lower 48 states of the USA only, which is less than 2% of the entire planet"
but a killer Tornado in one city in one of those lower 48 states means AGW is for real?

Seriously?

Are you and BiPolar cousins?

Bender, you are one silly fool. Sematics is certainly not your strong suit.

And you remain unable to offer up any observed evidence to support your claims.

Still waiting, dingbat, still waiting.:lol:

Wait a second, 1934 was the warmest year in the lower 48 and you throw that out because "the lower 48 states of the USA only, which is less than 2% of the entire planet"
but a killer Tornado in one city in one of those lower 48 states means AGW is for real?

Seriously?

*** Strawman Alert ***

No, dimwit, nobody says that. Nothing was "thrown out", all the data is till part of the record but it just isn't very significant when talking about global warming.

Also no one claims that one tornado in one city means anything, but a widespread increase over time in the number and severity of extreme weather events worldwide, as we have been seeing and as climate scientists have been predicting would happen, is another pretty good confirmation that the climate is changing.

The US tornado season usually happens in the spring and lasts through July with May and June being the peak months. So we're still in the middle of it with months to go and it is already one of the worst on record. Let's see what happens by the end of summer.

Mad About The News, U.S. weather extremes show 'new normal' climate

Amplify’d from Science News, Articles and Information | Scientific American

U.S. weather extremes show ‘new normal’ climate A child’s doll sits among the ruins of homes badly damaged in April 27’s deadly tornados in Tuscaloosa, Alabama May 2, 2011. REUTERS/Lee Celano

* “Global weirding” seen in violent storms

* More frequent so-called 100-year floods

* Global cost of natural disasters escalating

WASHINGTON, May 18 (Reuters) - Heavy rains, deep snowfalls, monster floods and killing droughts are signs of a “new normal” of extreme U.S. weather events fueled by climate change, scientists and government planners said on Wednesday.

“It’s a new normal and I really do think that global weirding is the best way to describe what we’re seeing,” climate scientist Katharine Hayhoe of Texas Tech University told reporters.

“We are used to certain conditions and there’s a lot going on these days that is not what we’re used to, that is outside our current frame of reference,” Hayhoe said on a conference call with other experts, organized by the non-profit Union of Concerned Scientists.

An upsurge in heavy rainstorms in the United States has coincided with prolonged drought, sometimes in the same location, she said, noting that west Texas has seen a record-length dry period over the last five years, even as there have been two 100-year rain events.

Hayhoe, other scientists, civic planners and a manager at the giant Swiss Re reinsurance firm all cited human-caused climate change as an factor pushing this shift toward more extreme weather.

But in fact sea levels have been rising for the past 14,000 years as the result of leaving the last major ice age. That is what happens after leaving an ice age -and if sea levels were dropping, it would indicate moving towards another ice age. That rise has been linear at a rate of about 3.3 millimeters a year -or about 1 foot per CENTURY.

The rise hasn't been linear. The bulk of the sea level rise, of over 100 meters, happened between about 14,000 and 7,000 years ago. Since then, since the dawn of human civilization, sea level has risen very slowly compared to that previous period and compared to recent sea level rise.

But the really bad news for that lying asshole Gore -that rate has actually SLOWED since 2004.

Sea levels are about 15-20mm higher than they were back in 2004.

Earth spends most of its time in one ice age or another and the fact the rise in sea levels indicates a slowing is probably an indication that the cycle between ice ages is just about at its peak and will (geologically) soon start swinging back the other way.

The trend since 2004 simply isn't significant enough to bear on the question of another ice age. Another ice age isn't expected to happen naturally for thousands of years.

But man didn't cause earth to leave the last ice age -and he won't be the cause of it entering the next one either.

We might very well prevent the next one though.

People are still repeating the claim that the arctic ice is rapidly melting with predictions about it being bare of ice in 20-30 years. Turns out that melting was due to KNOWN cyclical weather patterns -a pattern that all scientists knew about but the dishonest saw as too good to pass up to promote their LIES. When the cycle continued and the ice stopped thinning and started growing again -the liars scrambled claiming the new ice was somehow "thinner" and and therefore would vanish again as soon as it got warmer again.

Arctic ice continues downwards and you might not have to wait 20-30 years. It might be gone in summer this decade.

It is still part of the same cycle of wind change that even the liars KNEW they would be lying when insisting it was due to warmer temperatures. In reality it was due to the WIND blowing ice further into warmer waters -something that occurs in CYCLES.

Thinner ice, caused by longer melting season due to higher temperatures in the arctic, is more prone to being pushed around by wind. Arctic sea ice melt during summer is affected by the ice conditions at the start of the season - thinner ice melts down more easily - and also by weather conditions that occur during the melt season. Some weather patterns accelerate ice melt, others slow it down.

[quote[Polar bear populations have gone from about 18,000 to close to 27,000 over the past 40 years with a healthy breeding population. In spite of that FACT, the US put the polar bear on the "endangered" list last year. For POLITICAL reasons -not because its true.[/QUOTE]

Polar bear numbers were artificially suppressed by hunting. The increase in the polar bear population was due to hunting restrictions being put in place. However that tells us nothing about how polar bears will cope with arctic ice declining and the arctic warming up. Not only is there less sea ice in summer months now, but other animals are breaking north as the climate up there warms.

How about the claims tree rings prove temperatures have risen dramatically WORLDWIDE? The basis for this claim were measurements taken ONLY at a Siberian peninsula of just......wait for it.......12 trees.

Even studies that don't use tree rings show the recent global temperature rise is dramatic.

Seriously?

if the USA was warming faster than the rest of the world you certainly wouldnt be hearing the 2% excuse. instead you would be told that the USA has the most weather stations, with the best equipment and data collectors. and it would be true.

but the USA isnt warming as much, the sea levels arent rising as much, etc, etc, and it is more convenient to say it is just a small portion of the world rather than the best measured and analyzed.

Forum List

Back