So my Mom and my Aunt have not spoken since 2012 and my mom decides to.....

fbj

Gold Member
Jul 10, 2014
send her a birthday gift in the mail since she turned 60 years old. My Mom remembered that my aunt did something nice for her when she turned 60 in 2012 and wanted to return the favor

Only one problem, she has not called or text her in 5 years so why did my mom think this was a nice way to improve their relationship? So of course my Aunt returned the gift and the gift card back to my mom and now my mom wants to fight her because her feelings are hurt? lol

You don't go 5 years without talking to someone and think they are going to accept a birthday gift out of the blue. Dumbest shit I ever heard of in my life

send her a birthday gift in the mail since she turned 60 years old. My Mom remembered that my aunt did something nice for her when she turned 60 in 2012 and wanted to return the favor

Only one problem, she has not called or text her in 5 years so why did my mom think this was a nice way to improve their relationship? So of course my Aunt returned the gift and the gift card back to my mom and now my mom wants to fight her because her feelings are hurt? lol

You don't go 5 years without talking to someone and think they are going to accept a birthday gift out of the blue. Dumbest shit I ever heard of in my life
My Dad refuses to talk to me and has for 40 years..I tried to reach out to him 30 years ago and was refuted...So I gave up..

I don't believe you. Someone tells me that both your mom and your aunt still talk.

Nope. And it's a shame because she stopped talking to me too because of my mom lol

Fuck I do

My Dad refuses to talk to me and has for 40 years..I tried to reach out to him 30 years ago and was refuted...So I gave up..

How did you reach out?

If someone hasn't spoken to you in five years, leave it alone.

When I was 13 something caused me to stop speaking to my uncle. I never said a single word to him for the rest of his life.

When I was 13 something caused me to stop speaking to my uncle. I never said a single word to him for the rest of his life.
Something caused you to, not a choice you made, atta girl, take ya some of that responsibility.

How did you reach out?
I called him when I became a soldier to tell him I was just like him, he sad,"so what".

How did you reach out?
I called him when I became a soldier to tell him I was just like him, he sad,"so what".
Yeah, I'd be done, nothing healthy gonna come outta that.

That's what I say.

How did you reach out?
I have talked to his wife and found out why, but I don't push the envelope and never plan to.

How did you reach out?
I have talked to his wife and found out why, but I don't push the envelope and never plan to.
I would have made the same decision, no "why" would matter to me personally.

How did you reach out?
It really bothered me for many years until I gave up the ghost. I realized it was him and not me that was the problem..

There aren't any rules, life is short so if you soften a stance and feel like sending a birthday card or gift then do it. They can accept or reject it. That just means they can't let go and are stuck in the past. Not the sender. And the person sending the gift knows they made an attempt to reconnect and it was rejected. The person doing the rejecting carries that whether they think about it or not.

Life is too short, call someone or drop them a line. If they don't respond or respond negatively then you tried. They are the one that is stuck in limbo.

Last edited:
How did you reach out?
It really bothered me for many years until I gave up the ghost. I realized it was him and not me that was the problem..
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzactly, and no one can "fix" someone else, you just become infected with the disease as well if you try to make them see what you want them to see. Distance is the only option in some cases.

Got a couple of sister-in-laws and brothers that had to be sent to the same place over the way they dealt with our father's demise and departure from this life.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzactly, and no one can "fix" someone else, you just become infected with the disease as well. Distance is the only option in some cases.
It allowed me to become the head of the family at an earlier age than is normal..He refused to attend the funerals of his Mother, his daughter and his sister. I was there to honor and respect the family members that had passed.

There has to be a reason for the break.

Tell your mom, you are proud of her for putting the past behind and trying to mend fences. What your aunt did was on your aunt. Your mother behaved well. She isn't responsible for the actions of others. Your mom's goodness is all your mom need concern herself with. Her decision was positive and forgiving. Bravo to your mom. Maybe some day your aunt will reach your mom's level.

Tell your mom, you are proud of her for putting the past behind and trying to mend fences. What your aunt did was on your aunt. Your mother behaved well. She isn't responsible for the actions of others. Your mom's goodness is all your mom need concern herself with. Her decision was positive and forgiving. Bravo to your mom. Maybe some day your aunt will reach your mom's level.
Amen. I agree.

Oh, and tell mom good luck in the fight and remind her to never take a knife to a gun fight.

Dont know what the falling out is about but on the surface i see no reason to fault your mom for trying to break the ice with a peace offering.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back