So I ordered me a gun last night.

But keep your fingers from being pinched by the lever and you should be good.
And the trigger. And the back of the fingers. What an experience it was. I had never imagined a weapon could be so clunky. Admittedly my rifle experience up to that point had been Mauser and Lee Enfield and BRNO and Husqvarna bolt actions. Oh, and an FN Browning semi .22. That was a heap too, dropping hot brass down one's sleeve. Woo hoo.

Last edited:
I didn't know Marlins had octagon barrels.

The limited cowboy ones with the 24” barrel do, and then the one I have with the shorter barrel do. Looks pretty snazzy to.

I prefer the carbine with the large loop. The large loop Winchester is totally impractical and it actually takes longer to cycle than the standard lever but ....

John Wayne looks cool as balls with one...

tumblr_n1cdqs9mKu1sexpt5o1_500.gif

I didn't know Marlins had octagon barrels.

The limited cowboy ones with the 24” barrel do, and then the one I have with the shorter barrel do. Looks pretty snazzy to.

I prefer the carbine with the large loop. The large loop Winchester is totally impractical and it actually takes longer to cycle than the standard lever but ....

Thankfully, I don’t have to worry about Comanches or Karankawa coming for my scalp so I can stick with the slow way but there are levers out there with a loop that’s just alittle bigger then stock.

Pretty cool. I'm not much for pistol caliber carbines/rifles except for my USGI M1 Carbine. However, I do have an old Marlin 336, .30-30 I hunt with, and its a good gun.

Pretty cool. I'm not much for pistol caliber carbines/rifles except for my USGI M1 Carbine. However, I do have an old Marlin 336, .30-30 I hunt with, and its a good gun.

Have a 30-30 but the wife and girl child don’t like shooting that. I also like to cast billets and reload. 30-30 cast just fine, but the big .45 cal bullet is more forgiving. And I don’t need the 30-30’s range. Basically, this replaces my AR as a vermin eraser.

Have a 30-30 but the wife and girl child don’t like shooting that. I also like to cast billets and reload. 30-30 cast just fine, but the big .45 cal bullet is more forgiving. And I don’t need the 30-30’s range. Basically, this replaces my AR as a vermin eraser.

Oh, I get it. I like the .45 Colt caliber, and reload for it, but for pistol only (USFA SAA). It is a hard hitting round, and superior to the .45ACP, especially in modern revolvers like the Ruger Super Blackhawk, and Redhawk, and rifles like yours where you can push velocities, and energy.

Eeeeeeek!

Oh, I get it. I like the .45 Colt caliber, and reload for it, but for pistol only (USFA SAA). It is a hard hitting round, and superior to the .45ACP, especially in modern revolvers like the Ruger Super Blackhawk, and Redhawk, and rifles like yours where you can push velocities, and energy.

Yup. My shots are typically at archery range down here. 100 yards is my longest. I have to buy a crib and some other baby stuff, but after that I’m buying a matched set of Bisley blackhawks in .45 Colt to. One is going off to Garey Reeder for a tuning up and I’m giving the other one to my Son.

100 yards is my longest.
So what varmints are you shooting at 100 yds with iron sights in .45? What range will it be zeroed at?

Mostly pigs and deer. Deer here are smallish so even .45 colt is a bit over kill. I will likely have it dead nuts at 50 yards. I plan on loading a fast powder under a 250 grain heat treated all lead bullet.

Mostly pigs and deer. Deer here are smallish so even .45 colt is a bit over kill. I will likely have it dead nuts at 50 yards. I plan on loading a fast powder under a 250 grain heat treated all lead bullet.

I am sure you know this, but sometimes lead, and fast burning powders don't mix well if you are pushing them to high velocities. I use a 250 grain, lead cast bullet, but keep velocities down for pistol so they don't get too hot, and melt the lead. It also avoids leading the barrel.

Offhand, never having shot that arrangement, or anything like it, I'd be guessing 6''-8'' drop at 100yd. What do you think the drop at 100 will be when zeroed at 50yd? And what sight picture do you plan to use with the bead you intend?

I am sure you know this, but sometimes lead, and fast burning powders don't mix well if you are pushing them to high velocities. I use a 250 grain, lead cast bullet, but keep velocities down for pistol so they don't get too hot, and melt the lead. It also avoids leading the barrel.

I figure 8 grains or so. And gas checks if I need them. Hell, I may just stick to the cowboy loads I got at Walmart. Just a fun fun to shoot.

Forum List

Back