So...Hail can take out a solar panel farm? Just another great thing about wasteful solar energy...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Who would have thought that hail could take out solar panels? And knock out power for this area.....

The solar farm in question–the Scottsbluff Solar Farm–existed pretty much for the sole purpose of virtue signaling (and scooping up some very nice subsidies from the government). I don’t know the precise number of megawatt hours the farm actually produced, but I guarantee it was nothing comparable to 5.2 Megawatts from the capacity of a reliable power plant. Instead, it maxed out at 5.2 Megawatt at peak production, but average production (including nights) was a small fraction of that.

It existed for show, not actual power.

Who would have thought that hail could take out solar panels? And knock out power for this area.....

The solar farm in question–the Scottsbluff Solar Farm–existed pretty much for the sole purpose of virtue signaling (and scooping up some very nice subsidies from the government). I don’t know the precise number of megawatt hours the farm actually produced, but I guarantee it was nothing comparable to 5.2 Megawatts from the capacity of a reliable power plant. Instead, it maxed out at 5.2 Megawatt at peak production, but average production (including nights) was a small fraction of that.

The Marxists tell US that we need to have storage batteries just in case the Green New Deal Shit goes on the fritz. Can a storage battery last weeks in case there is a very bad outage? I doubt it serously, while a back up generator attached to the NG line last till power comes back on....

The Marxists tell US that we need to have storage batteries just in case the Green New Deal Shit goes on the fritz. Can a storage battery last weeks in case there is a very bad outage? I doubt it serously, while a back up generator attached to the NG line last till power comes back on....
I think that all batteries will eventually shit the bed also. Even if they remain charging because God pity's the moonbats and allows their green bullshit to function as well as it possibly can without some random fires, hail, tornadoes etc. wiping it out. At whatever point the "green power" meets it's expected life span, how many times will the batteries that will have to be employed to back everything up need to be changed? There is still a ton of maintenance to be done on these things, and how many windmill mechanics that like swinging from a helicopter do we have?

There's nothing wrong with the coal plants, and I have no idea why we don't use geothermal heat to boil the friggin water and run it through a steam turbine. If that ain't a cheap source of heat I can't imagine what is.

Battery back-up lasts two minutes, no more.

Instead of solar power farms and windmills we should be building nuclear power plants.

Battery back-up lasts two minutes, no more.
If the federal govt is involved the batteries will leech capacity from the grid and fail to actually switch on during an emergency anyway.

That's assuming they don't explode and rain toxic shit all over the place.

And flooding can take out a fossil fuel powered plant.
And tornadoes and hurricanes can take out a wind turbine
And an incorrect valve lineup can take out a nuclear reactor

You can protect against 1 and 3.

2 just shows how fragile "renewables" can be.

How do you protect against hail?

It would have to involve some sort of covering mechanism, and I doubt that is efficient.

Yep.....but the odds of that are slim......and it costs a lot less for the power plant over solar plant with how much energy they provide...

Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida

Storm was the first big test for some communities powered by solar farms and battery storage​

10/15/2022
Wall Street Journal

"Neighborhoods powered by solar panels with backup batteries weathered the direct onslaught of Hurricane Ian in Florida, utilities and developers said, keeping the lights on throughout the storm while millions of others lost power.

At least three solar-powered communities near Fort Myers and Tampa made it through Ian without losing electricity. Some also had hardened electrical infrastructure, including buried lines and stronger power poles, that helped them weather the storm and its aftermath.

At the new Medley neighborhood south of Tampa, utility Tampa Electric Co. has a pilot project with 37 new homes equipped with utility-owned rooftop solar and home batteries. When Ian knocked out power to about 295,000 customers in the area, Medley was disconnected from the rest of the electric system, but it never lost power.

The power systems of the homes in Medley are linked and solar on the roof of one home has the ability to power neighboring houses, said Archie Collins, chief executive of Tampa Electric, a subsidiary of Emera Inc.
“They were isolated from the grid, and they rode through the entire hurricane without any loss of power, whereas the neighbors who weren’t on that microgrid unfortunately did lose power,” Mr. Collins said."...>

[............]

Solar Power Stayed On as Hurricane Ian Knocked Lights Out Across Florida

The storm was the first big test for some communities powered by solar farms and battery storage.

`

Yep.....but the odds of that are slim......and it costs a lot less for the power plant over solar plant with how much energy they provide...
solar-power-PV-costs-vs-fossil-gas-costs-IRENA.png

Solar-Costs-Are-Decades-Ahead-of-Forecasts-2010-2020-Actual-vs-Forecasts-to-2050-2-800x471-600x353.jpg

1200px-20201019_Levelized_Cost_of_Energy_%28LCOE%2C_Lazard%29_-_renewable_energy.svg.png

solar-power-PV-costs-vs-fossil-gas-costs-IRENA.png

Solar-Costs-Are-Decades-Ahead-of-Forecasts-2010-2020-Actual-vs-Forecasts-to-2050-2-800x471-600x353.jpg

1200px-20201019_Levelized_Cost_of_Energy_%28LCOE%2C_Lazard%29_-_renewable_energy.svg.png

Yeah.....sell that BS to Biden voters.....

Midwest Solar Farms have a life expectancy of 4 years.

To state anything more, is gambling. We must prepare for the inevitability of every mid-west to east coast Solar Farm to be completely destroyed every four years. Otherwise we will leave our national security at risk.

The costs do not matter, even though we can see that the costs are destroying our standard of living.

Midwest Solar Farms have a life expectancy of 4 years.

To state anything more, is gambling. We must prepare for the inevitability of every mid-west to east coast Solar Farm to be completely destroyed every four years. Otherwise we will leave our national security at risk.

The costs do not matter, even though we can see that the costs are destroying our standard of living.

But the earth god must be worshipped....and these shrines to the earth guard must be built.

Forum List

Back