Baseball-Sized Hail Smashing Into Panels At 150 MPH Destroys Scottsbluff Solar Farm

excalibur

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2015
Reason #17 why solar is unreliable.

And people still believe you can run a grid off solar and wind. You can't.

Baseball-sized hail took out a solar farm in Scottsbluff, Nebraska, on Friday.

The hail shattered most of the panels on the 5.2-megawatt solar project, sparing an odd panel like missing teeth in a white smile.

Wyoming has only one commercial-scale solar farm, but a second project is under construction south of Cheyenne.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency ranks this area in its the highest category for hail risk on the national index.

Don Day, Cowboy State Daily meteorologist, said the hail would have reached terminal velocity during its descent, which is the maximum speed an object will reach when falling. The hail would have likely struck the panels going 100 to 150 mph.

YIKES!

Since I moved to SD we've had some small hail. One night we had what I figured was at least golf ball sized hail, judging from the noise it was making on my roof. When it ceased, I took a look out onto my deck and saw hailstones that were about fingernail sized! Less than a half inch in diameter. I can't even imagine what baseball sized hail would sound like, let alone the damage to the roof!

Glad I have good insurance.

Forum List

Back