So, global warming....

The world has never been hotter than now?

That's not true.

Whatcom County Parks and Recreation

A palm fossil in Washington. Do you know how hot it has to be for Palms to grow?

:rolleyes:

Do palm trees grow in Seattle

I stand corrected.

You're correct about palms in Washington, Ravi. How about a tropical turtle?

Scientists have discovered a tropical Asian turtle fossil not in Asia or in the tropics, but high in the Canadian Arctic.
Even the Arctic was balmy at the time, with average temperatures hovering around 14 degrees Celsius (57 degrees Fahrenheit), said Don Brinkman, a paleontologist at the Royal Tyrrell Museum in Alberta, Canada, who helped analyze the turtle. The region would have felt like modern-day North Carolina.

Tropical Turtle Fossil Found in the Arctic: Discovery News

What canals prevent ISLANDS from flooding in hurricanes?
Unless you are talking about the Keys, or the 10 thousand islands, there are no more islands in Florida since the canals were put in.

Look at a map. There are hundreds of barrier islands along the coastline. South Beach is on one of them.

True enough. Lets see you back up your claim about all these floodings. What islands do you speak of exactly?

Unless you are talking about the Keys, or the 10 thousand islands, there are no more islands in Florida since the canals were put in.

Look at a map. There are hundreds of barrier islands along the coastline. South Beach is on one of them.

True enough. Lets see you back up your claim about all these floodings. What islands do you speak of exactly?

Go read what I wrote again. I said that there is an oral history by the Creek and Seminole Indians about islands that got flooded every year. I don't know which islands specifically.

Go read what I wrote again. I said that there is an oral history by the Creek and Seminole Indians about islands that got flooded every year.

Yes, I read that. You got that information from somewhere. A link? What islands?

We can build flying skateboards or time machines too! Because as you know you cannot do anything else if you are paying attention to Global warming. Innovation stops!

Every dollar spent on global warming is a dollar we can't spend on research on heart disease. You would think the people who are always saying that some people are poor because other people are rich would understand that resources in any given year are finite.

The combination of willful ignorance, ignorance in general and denial are hallmarks of the conservative sheep. The argument that human activity can impact the environment and climate is clear, only those who have been feed the kool-aid by Big Coal and Big Oil believe otherwise.

Even if only 1% of the changes in sea ice and ocean temperatures are man caused, the need to repair, build and protect our coastal areas is obvious to anyone listening and not mentally impaired.

Go read what I wrote again. I said that there is an oral history by the Creek and Seminole Indians about islands that got flooded every year.

Yes, I read that. You got that information from somewhere. A link? What islands?

I don't know what islands. I got that information from a scouting trip to the Seminole Indian Reservation when I was a kid. The man who gave us a walking tour said that they lived there (interior of the state) because the coastal islands flooded every year. He said groups of people fished on the coasts during the winter and brought it back.

I don't know what islands. I got that information from a scouting trip to the Seminole Indian Reservation when I was a kid. The man who gave us a walking tour said that they lived there (interior of the state) because the coastal islands flooded every year. He said groups of people fished on the coasts during the winter and brought it back.
Sounds like he was talking about the ten thousand islands. Lots of them still flood every year, though it could be less now than centuries ago since the white man raped the Everglades with canals and such.

Maybe Al Gore was right.

:eusa_eh:

I was thinking about this today as the Lib media and Chris Mathews in particular
was bringing this up.

Haven't we improved on car emissions and oil plant and coal plants.
Haven't we added nuclear power plants over the last 50 years.
Now we are getting big storms...What we never had big storms before?..

So we have improved what we dump in the air and now we get big storms...

And it's all our fault.
Only Obama can save us from ourselves...
Oh, we've had big storms before. But if you look at the weather pattern in the last 10 to 20 years, we've had more wacky weather than most ever experienced. Devastating floods, hurricanes, tornadoes and droughts.

Look what this weather is doing to our cities. Human caused or not, our infrastructure can't keep up.

If you could only take your head out of your partisan asshole for once in your life. :lol:

But if you look at the weather pattern in the last 10 to 20 years, we've had more wacky weather than most ever experienced... Whaaaaat ???? Is your statement based on emotions ,or do you actually have facts to back that up? Don't bother... I already know you don't have any facts to prove that crazy statement.

The combination of willful ignorance, ignorance in general and denial are hallmarks of the conservative sheep. The argument that human activity can impact the environment and climate is clear, only those who have been feed the kool-aid by Big Coal and Big Oil believe otherwise.

Even if only 1% of the changes in sea ice and ocean temperatures are man caused, the need to repair, build and protect our coastal areas is obvious to anyone listening and not mentally impaired.

I find it amusing that you reference sheep and willful ignorance simply because someone has a different opinion than you. How much actual research have you done personally to convince you that your opinion is correct? What expertise do you have in this area?

I'm an AGW skeptic because I have formal training and decades of experience in data analysis and software development. After seeing the source code of the "models" on which most of the AGW proponent work is based, I saw far too many errors to be convince of any accuracy.

I have been told that only climatologists are qualified to opine on climate science due to the complex nature, so wouldn't the same principle be true for computer programming and statistics?

The Creek and Seminole Indians have kept an oral history going back to the 1500s when storms flooded entire islands every year in Florida.

OK what 600 years.
Now how about records fron 1000, 2000, 5000, 10000, and so on.
How about from 1 million years ago?

Not sure. But I know that there hasn't been any Island in Florida that has been completely flooded in recent history (100 years or so) and yet there used to be massive storms that flooded some every year.

Therefore it seems devastating hurricanes greater than the ones we have now aren't new.

Oh I agree. These things go in cycles.

Maybe Al Gore was right.

Probably not,,,
:eusa_angel:

Al Gore predicted in 2009 that the North Polar Ice Cap would be completely ice free in five years.
:eusa_whistle:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsioIw4bvzI]Al Gore Warns Polar Ice May Be Gone in Five Years - YouTube[/ame]

Like Papa Obama- failed

Of course he probably reads the NY Times for his information
Which is the first mistake

The NYT Has Been Predicting Polar Ice Melt for over a 128 Years
no doubt these were "peer reviewed" as well

1881: “This past Winter, both inside and outside the Arctic circle, appears to have been unusually mild. The ice is very light and rapidly melting …”
1932: “NEXT GREAT DELUGE FORECAST BY SCIENCE; Melting Polar Ice Caps to Raise the Level of Seas and Flood the Continents”
1934: “New Evidence Supports Geology’s View That the Arctic Is Growing Warmer”
1937: “Continued warm weather at the Pole, melting snow and ice.”
1954: “The particular point of inquiry concerns whether the ice is melting at such a rate as to imperil low-lying coastal areas through raising the level of the sea in the near future.”
1957: “U.S. Arctic Station Melting”
1958: “At present, the Arctic ice pack is melting away fast. Some estimates say that it is 40 per cent thinner and 12 per cent smaller than it was fifteen years [ago].”
1959: “Will the Arctic Ocean soon be free of ice?”
1971: “STUDY SAYS MAN ALTERS CLIMATE; U.N. Report Links Melting of Polar Ice to His Activities”
1979: “A puzzling haze over the Arctic ice packs has been identified as a byproduct of air pollution, a finding that may support predictions of a disastrous melting of the earth’s ice caps.”
1982: “Because of global heating attributed to an increase in atmospheric carbon dioxide from fuel burning, about 20,000 cubic miles of polar ice has melted in the past 40 years, apparently contributing to a rise in sea levels …”
1999: “Evidence continues to accumulate that the frozen world of the Arctic and sub-Arctic is thawing.”
2000: “The North Pole is melting. The thick ice that has for ages covered the Arctic Ocean at the pole has turned to water, recent visitors there reported yesterday.”
2002: “The melting of Greenland glaciers and Arctic Ocean sea ice this past summer reached levels not seen in decades, scientists reported today.”
2004: “There is an awful lot of Arctic and glacial ice melting.”
2005: “Another melancholy gathering of climate scientists presented evidence this month that the Antarctic ice shelf is melting – a prospect difficult to imagine a decade ago.”

Last edited:

Sounds like he was talking about the ten thousand islands. Lots of them still flood every year, though it could be less now than centuries ago since the white man raped the Everglades with canals and such.

No, he was talking about islands on the coast where people live now.

Sorry, I think you are mistaken.

Because you were there?

The whole reason he talked about living in the interior was because someone asked why he didn't live on the coast where there is another reservation.

Because you were there?

The whole reason he talked about living in the interior was because someone asked why he didn't live on the coast where there is another reservation.
:lol: He lives in the center of the state because of historical flooding of Hollywood Beach???

:lmao:

Like I said, you are clearly mistaken and remembering what you wish to remember.

Because you were there?

:lol: He lives in the center of the state because of historical flooding of Hollywood Beach???

:lmao:

Like I said, you are clearly mistaken and remembering what you wish to remember.

Now I wonder why I even bothered. I thought there might be some chance at rational conversation but it appears you're just interested in snark and personal attacks.

For the benefit of other readers who aren't being fuckwads:

A scout asked our Seminole Indian tour guide a question about why they (his group of people descended from Seminole and Creek Indians) lived at Big Cypress instead of the coast where there was another reservation. He said that the coastal islands used to flood every year, which is why people couldn't live there. Another scout asked him how he knew that and he said that their history is kept by telling stories. Someone else asked how far back it goes and he said the ones he has been told go at least as far back as when the Spaniards came.

I find it amusing that you reference sheep and willful ignorance simply because someone has a different opinion than you. How much actual research have you done personally to convince you that your opinion is correct? What expertise do you have in this area?

I'm an AGW skeptic because I have formal training and decades of experience in data analysis and software development. After seeing the source code of the "models" on which most of the AGW proponent work is based, I saw far too many errors to be convince of any accuracy.

I have been told that only climatologists are qualified to opine on climate science due to the complex nature, so wouldn't the same principle be true for computer programming and statistics?

I'm not one to assume there is always one cause for an effect - climate change. The climate is changing, if temporary or long term I couldn't know (can anyone?); those who believe we are experiencing only a temporary anomaly have no evidence that such is true nor do that have any evidence that some of this change is not a result of human behavior.

What's worse, the political right is opposed to planning ahead: they want a balanced budget which would hamper rescue/response time in circumstances which exist in the Eastern states today, some (Romney & Ryan included) want to cut spending but not the military budget and cut entitilements, regulations, taxes and revenue sharing to the states.

One would think Romeny - as a businessman - would understand the concept of Risk Management.

Last edited:
Maybe Al Gore was right.

Dont worry after we make fun of Gore enough, liberals will talk about how stupid and a non factor he is.....they said it after he blamed the altitude for OBama's debate performance

I'm not one to assume there is always one cause for an effect - climate change. The climate is changing, if temporary or long term I couldn't know (can anyone?); those who believe we are experiencing only a temporary anomaly have no evidence that such is true nor do that have any evidence that some of this change is not a result of human behavior.

What's worse, the political right is opposed to planning ahead: they want a balanced budget which would hamper rescue/response time in circumstances which exist in the Eastern states today, (some, Romney & Ryan included) want to cut spending but not the military budget and cut entitilements, regulations, taxes and revenue sharing to the states.

One would think Romeny - as a businessman - would understand the concept of Risk Management.

That's the exact opposite of an answer to my question.

Parrot on the leftist talking points while criticizing opponents for being sheep.

Forum List

Back