So corporations need no regulations?

Oil spills hit on land, too: Aging pipelines imperil Midwest - CSMonitor.com

U.S. pipelines at a crossroads | MNN - Mother Nature Network

But not everyone is so impressed with that record. According to the PHMSA's own statistics, pipeline accidents kill or hospitalize at least one person in the U.S. every 6.9 days on average, and cause more than $272 million in property damage per year. Critics often blame weak regulations as well as lax enforcement

Regulators weigh more rules for natural gas pipelines | Reuters

Many pipelines date to the 1960s or earlier and old lines are rarely retired. The overall length of active U.S. pipelines has grown more than 20-fold since the 1920s.

As part of its safety push, the department is also asking for feedback about the need to reduce operating pressure for some pipelines that are more than 40 years old.

Pipeline safety has actually improved sharply over the past 20 years. But from 2006 through 2009 U.S. oil and gas pipeline accidents killed 56 people, caused $1.2 billion in property damage and spilled 381,000 barrels of oil, government data shows.

Recent oil spills from TransCanada's Keystone pipeline, as well as Exxon Mobil's Silvertip line, have also raised concerns about the environmental risks posed by crude oil pipelines.Earlier this year, the Senate commerce committee approved legislation that would raise fines against reckless operators of petroleum and natural gas lines and require automatic shut-off valves to prevent oil spills and gas explosions.

If only we were more like the EnviroMarxist Dreamland of North Korea.

If only

1023earthkr550x404.jpg

dprk-dmsp-dark-old.jpg

how can anyone be so stupid as to accept the idea that after what just happened to this country because a lack of regulations and a refusal to apply the exsisting laws it means we need fewer regulations on these entities?

Last night we had the second natural gas pipeline explosion within 10 miles of my house in 6 months.

The sky glowed bigtime for most of the night from the fire.

The lines are at about 3X their enginered lifetime and the gas companies are too cheap to replace them.
It is all about short term profit, not about maintaining infrastructure.

So if you're OK with paying 3-4 times more for gas. I have no problem with it

Last night we had the second natural gas pipeline explosion within 10 miles of my house in 6 months.

The lines are at about 3X their enginered lifetime and the gas companies are too cheap to replace them.
Let's see, they lost all that natural gas in the line, plus they'll have to replace the line that was destroyed, plus they will have to reimburse the owners for the damage, plus they will have to pay the owners of every single tract to obtain the right for temporary workspace in order to repair what was destroyed ...

In other words, failing to maintain a pipe does not help the bottom line at all, so it makes sense to do that.

By the way, what was the cause of the rupture? Ten to one it was some dipshit with a backhoe who was too stupid to call 811 before he started digging a hole.

Let's see, they lost all that natural gas in the line, plus they'll have to replace the line that was destroyed, plus they will have to reimburse the owners for the damage, plus they will have to pay the owners of every single tract to obtain the right for temporary workspace in order to repair what was destroyed ...

In other words, failing to maintain a pipe does not help the bottom line at all, so it makes sense to do that.

By the way, what was the cause of the rupture? Ten to one it was some dipshit with a backhoe who was too stupid to call 811 before he started digging a hole.

Nope the word is corrosion, no activity had taken place around the rupture for years. Aside from cows and such.

Nope the word is corrosion, no activity had taken place around the rupture for years. Aside from cows and such.
Do you happen to have a news article handy? Not that I'm doubting you; I'm just kind of curious about what happened.

Amazingly enough the oil and gas industry has less regulations, etc in the USA than the rest of the world.

More oil restrictions in the rest of the world? Surely you don't mean China or the Arabs. You must be talking about the Euros who B. Hussein wants us to emulate. The one big regulation the US oil and gas industry faces in the democrat perty and Barry Hussein who kisses Hugo Chavez's ass and tells Brazil "we want to be your best oil customer". Do lefties still believe that a substitute for petroleum is right around the corner while we freeze to death in the winter and suffer under high energy prices that effect the cost of every product we buy?

That or the environmentalists do all they can to block digging a new one. :eusa_whistle:

A pragmatic approach to regulation is best.

Regulate industries with a history of non-compliance and abuse.

Otherwise businesses that abide by regulatory laws have nothing to worry about.

Eyeah..because fires like that never ever spew toxins into the air and ground water..
They don't.
Natural gas is the cleanest of all the fossil fuels, as evidenced in the Environmental Protection Agency’s data comparisons in the chart below, which is still current as of 2010. Composed primarily of methane, the main products of the combustion of natural gas are carbon dioxide and water vapor, the same compounds we exhale when we breathe.​

Ah so all the materials burning at the plant like plastics are producing no toxins?

Good to know.
What plant? The pipeline ruptured where it was crossing a farm. No structures involved.

Fire in the sky: Crews respond to pipeline explosion

They don't.
Natural gas is the cleanest of all the fossil fuels, as evidenced in the Environmental Protection Agency’s data comparisons in the chart below, which is still current as of 2010. Composed primarily of methane, the main products of the combustion of natural gas are carbon dioxide and water vapor, the same compounds we exhale when we breathe.​

Ah so all the materials burning at the plant like plastics are producing no toxins?

Good to know.
What plant? The pipeline ruptured where it was crossing a farm. No structures involved.

One of the stories on the site says that the cause is unknown. Nothing about corrosion.

Good to know.

One of the stories on the site says that the cause is unknown. Nothing about corrosion.
I know. I was responding to Shallow's post about toxins. There weren't any.

I know. I was responding to Shallow's post about toxins. There weren't any.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. The OP mentioned something about corrosion upthread. If the pipeline was equipped with a functioning cathodic protection device (and I can't imagine why it wouldn't), corrosion would not be an issue.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back