~Smoking Banned Outdoors In NYC~

There WILL come a time when tobacco is illegal.
Then what? Guess who is next? Yep. Alcohol. And after alcohol? Anyone wearing perfume. Then will be the apparel worn. How long one's hair is. No pets allowed anywhere. Once the tobacco users are dealt with, there has to be a replacement.

The day a company says what I do on my break is the day I see a lawyer.

See all the Lawyers you want. The place you work is private property. They can establish just about any legal rule they want. Your option is to follow the rules or quit ( or be fired).

By the way they can tell you what you can and can not talk about also.
Your theory would pan out if we continue to "go along to get along"..
For example.... a police officer stops you in your vehicle. He asks to see your licence and registration. He then comes back and then says he wants to search your car. When asked this question, most people when asked would not think twice of allowing the officer to search their car even though the cop is violating their 4th amendment right to not be subject to unreasonable searches and seizures.
This applies because the officer had no reason or probable cause to search.
Most people would allow their rights to be trampled because they "don't want the hassle" of sticking up for their rights.
My point is people are just too willing to let things go so they can be on their way. If this continues, we will live in a nation where at any time we could hear "your papers, please".

I say all us health loving anti-smokers jump into our SUVs and drive to the Empire state to show our support for this healthful law.

We can have cookout, too!

Sounds like a good idea. I didn't see smokers standing up for our "rights" when they were allowed to smoke wherever they pleased. Their response was...."if you don't like it, don't come here"

One of my favorites that I miss after all these years is going to the movies

You would see smokers lighting up throughout the show and you could always see the light of the projector as it shone through the fog of smoke.

Are they going to ban barbques on the sidewalks? Hot dog carts?

What's next? All vehicles? It's stupid.

You know Grace, this is the really truth here-- we have a carpet plant in my town, and they made it a rule, that you can not smoke on their premises. They used to have a designated smoking area outside, for the smokers, but they removed that, and made it so employees can no longer smoke on their breaks...but get this, they not only can not smoke anywhere outside, they can not smoke in their cars!!!!!
In fact, they are saying no cigarettes allowed on their property whatsoever!!!
But I'm pretty sure some employees keep them hidden and grab one as soon as they pull out of the lot.
But that's true, they don't want the employees to be smoking in their own damn cars.

Wow...i read this and thought maybe you were talking about the place i work...but we're not a carpet plant! :) When i first started working here, you could smoke in the breakroom. Then, they made a special room just for smokers. Then they moved the smokers outside. On January 1, 2010 we could no longer smoke anywhere on the premises...not even our cars. They gave the excuse that it lowered their insurance premiums alot, for both building insurance and health insurance.

But not being able to smoke outside at all?????? Pretty soon it will be completely illegal, and one more way for the govt to make money by giving people tickets when their caught!

Check out the number of cigarette butts when they rake the beaches. Your beach is one big ashtray.

Smokers have always been pigs as they flick their cigarettes away and say..."Somebody pick that up"

Really? You speak for all smokers?
I've ALWAYS been a polite smoker and I have never "flicked" my cig. I don't use a beach as an ashtray and I damn sure don't toss it in a gutter since all gutters here lead straight to the ocean. I move away from people or find a secluded corner to have my cig when I am not home and have to be in public.
Let me borrow your big assed brush for sec: It's all those nasty non smokers who gasp and wave their hands furiously while invading my space, making me gasp for air from all the perfume they drench themselves in because they refuse to bathe.

See how that goes?

On the other hand, no one ever died of second hand perfume.
as one who suffers from allergies perfume is one that can cause a fit of sneezing coughing and shortage of breath

One of my favorites that I miss after all these years is going to the movies

You would see smokers lighting up throughout the show and you could always see the light of the projector as it shone through the fog of smoke.

Smoking in a contained space with other people is one thing. Out in the open air is another.

How were the airplane flights?

I always seemed to get the seat right in front of the smoking section. As soon as the "No Smoking" light went off, they all lit up

Like they say........."Having a smoking section is like having a peeing section in a pool"

I think the further away from me they are the better. Smokers are disgusting. Period. If there are laws out there that make it so I never even have to think about cigarettes or smokers...then good.

I loved that about the military (eventually). I love that about my job now. You cant smoke, are tested when hired and cant smoke in your car on the business parking lot either. I love it. Its funny, they have to go through a locked, secured gate to go on a street corner to smoke. Its hilarious really.

GOOD.

I think the further away from me they are the better. Smokers are disgusting. Period. If there are laws out there that make it so I never even have to think about cigarettes or smokers...then good.

I loved that about the military (eventually). I love that about my job now. You cant smoke, are tested when hired and cant smoke in your car on the business parking lot either. I love it. Its funny, they have to go through a locked, secured gate to go on a street corner to smoke. Its hilarious really.

GOOD.

I hope you're enjoying the laughs now. When smoking is banned completely, government will start taxing the things you enjoy to make up the shortfall. I'll be there to make sure you're still laughing when it is your ox being gored.

GOOD.

I hope you're enjoying the laughs now. When smoking is banned completely, government will start taxing the things you enjoy to make up the shortfall. I'll be there to make sure you're still laughing when it is your ox being gored.

Smoking will not be banned.....but it will fade away

GOOD.

Maybe so, but the need for those tax revenues will not.

Maybe so, but the need for those tax revenues will not.

Maybe they can just tax every time someone posts on this board

GOOD.
Ya know what? Fuck you and your holier than thou bullshit.
You find the odor of smoke to be merely an annoyance. SO you take the position that smokers are evil.
Get this asshole......Life does not exist in a vacuum. Next thing you know fuck wads like you will want diesel powered engines banned because they don't smell so good.
No need for you to reply. You've had your ass chewed. You are on auto ignore. I hate you politically correct eternally offended spineless fucks.

Really? You speak for all smokers?
I've ALWAYS been a polite smoker and I have never "flicked" my cig. I don't use a beach as an ashtray and I damn sure don't toss it in a gutter since all gutters here lead straight to the ocean. I move away from people or find a secluded corner to have my cig when I am not home and have to be in public.
Let me borrow your big assed brush for sec: It's all those nasty non smokers who gasp and wave their hands furiously while invading my space, making me gasp for air from all the perfume they drench themselves in because they refuse to bathe.

See how that goes?

On the other hand, no one ever died of second hand perfume.
as one who suffers from allergies perfume is one that can cause a fit of sneezing coughing and shortage of breath
Ban perfume....

GOOD.

Correct. About 25% of the US population is what are called "smokers". The PCT declines each year.
When that percentage drops to say 5-10% look for government to introduce new taxes to make up the respective revenue short falls.

GOOD.
Ya know what? Fuck you and your holier than thou bullshit.
You find the odor of smoke to be merely an annoyance. SO you take the position that smokers are evil.
Get this asshole......Life does not exist in a vacuum. Next thing you know fuck wads like you will want diesel powered engines banned because they don't smell so good.
No need for you to reply. You've had your ass chewed. You are on auto ignore. I hate you politically correct eternally offended spineless fucks.

Upset much?? :confused:
Sorry....I understand, and I'm not even a smoker.....just trying to mellow some things out *smiles*

Are they going to ban barbques on the sidewalks? Hot dog carts?

What's next? All vehicles? It's stupid.

You know Grace, this is the really truth here-- we have a carpet plant in my town, and they made it a rule, that you can not smoke on their premises. They used to have a designated smoking area outside, for the smokers, but they removed that, and made it so employees can no longer smoke on their breaks...but get this, they not only can not smoke anywhere outside, they can not smoke in their cars!!!!!
In fact, they are saying no cigarettes allowed on their property whatsoever!!!
But I'm pretty sure some employees keep them hidden and grab one as soon as they pull out of the lot.
But that's true, they don't want the employees to be smoking in their own damn cars.

Wow...i read this and thought maybe you were talking about the place i work...but we're not a carpet plant! :) When i first started working here, you could smoke in the breakroom. Then, they made a special room just for smokers. Then they moved the smokers outside. On January 1, 2010 we could no longer smoke anywhere on the premises...not even our cars. They gave the excuse that it lowered their insurance premiums alot, for both building insurance and health insurance.

But not being able to smoke outside at all?????? Pretty soon it will be completely illegal, and one more way for the govt to make money by giving people tickets when their caught!

Caroljo, the plant I was talking about, is located here in east Tennessee, and they have a few of the same plants in Georgia, but it's called Shaw Industries-they actually make the yarn that makes the carpet.
My ex husband has worked there for 25 years, and my Mother used to work there. Boy things have sure changed ~LoL~

GOOD.

You're talking about people. Hard working people who have a terrible habit they may be trying to break. You're talking about human beings, some who have probably made a bigger impact on your life than you will ever know. You're speaking of someone's brother or sister, or someone's best friend. And you're talking about my Mother, and I DO NOT appreciate it.
You are not perfect. Somebody surely is disgusted about something about you--oh wait, I think I know what it is!

Forum List

Back