~Smoking Banned Outdoors In NYC~

Are they going to ban barbques on the sidewalks? Hot dog carts?

What's next? All vehicles? It's stupid.

Are they going to ban barbques on the sidewalks? Hot dog carts?

What's next? All vehicles? It's stupid.

You know Grace, this is the really truth here-- we have a carpet plant in my town, and they made it a rule, that you can not smoke on their premises. They used to have a designated smoking area outside, for the smokers, but they removed that, and made it so employees can no longer smoke on their breaks...but get this, they not only can not smoke anywhere outside, they can not smoke in their cars!!!!!
In fact, they are saying no cigarettes allowed on their property whatsoever!!!
But I'm pretty sure some employees keep them hidden and grab one as soon as they pull out of the lot.
But that's true, they don't want the employees to be smoking in their own damn cars.

There WILL come a time when tobacco is illegal.
Then what? Guess who is next? Yep. Alcohol. And after alcohol? Anyone wearing perfume. Then will be the apparel worn. How long one's hair is. No pets allowed anywhere. Once the tobacco users are dealt with, there has to be a replacement.

The day a company says what I do on my break is the day I see a lawyer.

They will ban the use of Nuclear, Crude oil & Coal next for our own good.

This is the stupidity of the tyrants that now run ruin over our lives.

There WILL come a time when tobacco is illegal.
Then what? Guess who is next? Yep. Alcohol. And after alcohol? Anyone wearing perfume. Then will be the apparel worn. How long one's hair is. No pets allowed anywhere. Once the tobacco users are dealt with, there has to be a replacement.

The day a company says what I do on my break is the day I see a lawyer.

See all the Lawyers you want. The place you work is private property. They can establish just about any legal rule they want. Your option is to follow the rules or quit ( or be fired).

By the way they can tell you what you can and can not talk about also.

There is a certain Plano Texas technology campus who's namesake once ran for president. More than five years ago said campus outlawed cigarette smoking: even in ones own car.

I need not link as I am speaking from personal experience.

They will ban the use of Nuclear, Crude oil & Coal next for our own good.

This is the stupidity of the tyrants that now run ruin over our lives.

Well, according to the septic tank brain of TruthDon'tMatter, the idea that people should make their own decisions about their lives is 'outdated'.

No longer just an indoor-ban, smoking in open spaces is now banned in New York City.

The indoor ban was one thing, but is this perhaps a little too far? The ban is designed to help curb exposure to secondhand smoke as well as reduce litter. Thoughts?

Here's a better article~

New York City outdoor smoking ban begins - CNN

smoking was not banned "outdoors" it was banned in public parks and on beaches.

And yes, it's too far.

on the other hand, when you're walking on the beach and step on a cigarette ibutt when you have bare feet is pretty gross

Last edited:
No longer just an indoor-ban, smoking in open spaces is now banned in New York City.

The indoor ban was one thing, but is this perhaps a little too far? The ban is designed to help curb exposure to secondhand smoke as well as reduce litter. Thoughts?

Here's a better article~

Yet the water remains fluoridated...

Here's a better article~

smoking was not banned "outdoors" it was banned in public parks.

And yes, it's too far.
How hard would it be to later change 'parks' to 'places'?

Exactly. The city owns the streets and sidewalks too.

And Jillian - the #1 trash item on NJ beaches is bottle caps. If litter is the issue, then they should try signs and receptacles. But that's not what it's really about.

Exactly. The city owns the streets and sidewalks too.

And Jillian - the #1 trash item on NJ beaches is bottle caps. If litter is the issue, then they should try signs and receptacles. But that's not what it's really about.

I already said it goes too far. And I know it isn't what it's about. Bloomberg is a bit heavy handed about this type of thing.

Wouldn't it be nice if they were honest?

Cape May is considering a smoking ban next year. Their proposal is to force smokers off the beach and onto the promenade where the seniors and babies hang out or onto the sidewalks blocking store entrances. Ridiculous.

Wouldn't it be nice if they were honest?

Cape May is considering a smoking ban next year. Their proposal is to force smokers off the beach and onto the promenade where the seniors and babies hang out or onto the sidewalks blocking store entrances. Ridiculous.

it's actually to force people not to smoke at all. as a former smoker, that's offensive since smoking is illegal. but i'm kind of funny about them making it difficult to avail yourself of things you can do legally.

ond states do that with things far more important than cigarettes, too. ask the women of south dakota.

Don__t_smoke_by_Furatix.gif

It doesn't force people to quit. It will just force them to go elsewhere. I read a stat that 20 percent of Americans still smoke. Mayor Bloomberg may not care about a tourism hit like that, but the businesses in Cape May will.

Oh man, for a moment I went =O!!! But then I realized it was only parks and beaches. No biggie.

That said, this kinda news gives me a certain ambivalent feeling - as a hardcore extreme 30+ a day smoker it pisses me off but at the same time, I really do have to quit, so... I dunno. From a political ideological perspective, I don't agree that the State/city/municipality/whatever has a right to ban you from doing something to yourself, but why should random people be endangered by my nasty habit on public land? It's kind of like drunk driving, is it really an affront to your individual liberty to be able to be wasted while operating a two ton metal killing machine down the street? Or what about the litter aspect of it, is it an affront to my personal liberty that I'm not allowed to grab my trash can and empty it wherever I want? I would say no, but it's debatable. But it is sort of these [relatively] little things that unexpectedly lead to larger and more philosophical musings about what really is or should be the role of the state [if any]... and shit like that.

aodoihsapodaiahsdpaosdihapdsoi

Here's a better article~

smoking was not banned "outdoors" it was banned in public parks and on beaches.

And yes, it's too far.

on the other hand, when you're walking on the beach and step on a cigarette ibutt when you have bare feet is pretty gross

So fine them for littering.

Having said that, I'd rather step on a cigarette butt than a needle or glass. I'd rather have smokers on a beach than a bunch of kids drinking alcohol.

In the whole scheme of things, I tend to side with the smokers. If someone wants to own a restaurant catering for smokers, who the hell are we to say they can't? Who died and made other people the boss of us?

Forum List

Back