Smart TVs and privacy

mamooth

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
I think I'll be passing on these smart TVs.

I 8217 m terrified of my new TV Why I 8217 m scared to turn this thing on 8212 and you 8217 d be too - Salon.com
---
The amount of data this thing collects is staggering. It logs where, when, how and for how long you use the TV. It sets tracking cookies and beacons designed to detect “when you have viewed particular content or a particular email message.” It records “the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content.” It ignores “do-not-track” requests as a considered matter of policy.

It also has a built-in camera — with facial recognition. The purpose is to provide “gesture control” for the TV and enable you to log in to a personalized account using your face. On the upside, the images are saved on the TV instead of uploaded to a corporate server. On the downside, the Internet connection makes the whole TV vulnerable to hackers who have demonstrated the ability to take complete control of the machine.

More troubling is the microphone. The TV boasts a “voice recognition” feature that allows viewers to control the screen with voice commands. But the service comes with a rather ominous warning: “Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party.” Got that? Don’t say personal or sensitive stuff in front of the TV.
---

"The telescreen recieved and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it; moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live - did live, from habit that became instinct - in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, every movement scrutinized."
-_1984_, Book 1, Chapter One, George Orwell

Gotta like the "1984" tie-in. :)

It's a legitimate concern. I have all cookies set to 'ask me' and deny all of them but for sites like weather and this where I'm inputting data. Would never buy a 'smart tv' or don't own cellphones out of the same concern over privacy. Not so much fear of government concern as fear of advertisers. :)

All smart electronics lead to a loss of privacy, unless you can hack them and turn off their 'smart' capabilities.

Forum List

Back