Smart Man Discusses Income Inequality

Because a fair market place is the goal.

Why is a bell curve fair? Besides your feelings?

Because of averages. A smooth bell curve is a description of "average". Anyone who has ever had a college course that was graded on a bell curve understands perfectly.

Average is one number, a bell curve has more than one number on it.

Average is actually three numbers: the mean, the mode, and the median. They are all different. But why a smooth bell curve is somehow desirable other than for aesthetic reasons is beyond me.

Again, no one pumping this wealth distribiution nonsense is able to identify at what point it becomes "inequitable", what the problems that arise from it are, or why the solution would not be worse than the problem.

Average is actually three numbers: the mean, the mode, and the median. They are all different.

Mean, mode, and median are measures of central tendency.

The only one of the three that is an "average" is the mean.

Average is actually three numbers: the mean, the mode, and the median. They are all different.

All three are "averages" although they all describe different things.
Again, I dont see the virtue of economic redistribution to achieve some mythical average.

"Above all things, good policy is to be used that the treasure and moneys in a state be not gathered into few hands. For otherwise a state may have a great stock, and yet starve. And money is like muck, not good except it be spread."
-- Francis Bacon; from 'Of Seditions and Troubles' (1625)

"It is through the peasantry that we shall really be able to destroy Christianity because there is in them a true religion rooted in nature and blood."

- Adolf Hitler -

"Antiquity was better than modern times, because it didn't know Christianity and syphilis."

- Adolf Hitler -

Historian Paul Johnson wrote that Hitler hated Christianity with a passion, adding that shortly after assuming power in 1933, Hitler told Hermann Rauschnig that he intended "to stamp out Christianity root and branch."

"I'll make these damned parsons feel the power of the state in a way they would have never believed possible. For the moment, I am just keeping my eye upon them: if I ever have the slightest suspicion that they are getting dangerous, I will shoot the lot of them. This filthy reptile raises its head whenever there is a sign of weakness in the State, and therefore it must be stamped on. We have no sort of use for a fairy story invented by the Jews."

- Adolf Hitler -

quotes with real sources are real quotes. Quotes without sources are generally bullshit. Thems the facts :cool:

All three are "averages" although they all describe different things.
Again, I dont see the virtue of economic redistribution to achieve some mythical average.

No, all three are not averages.

No, all three are not averages.

Statistics 101

A course you obviusly missed.

You lose

Many different descriptive statistics can be chosen as a measure of the central tendency of the data items. These include the arithmetic mean, the median, and the mode. Other statistics, such as the standard deviation and the range, are called measures of spread and describe how spread out the data is.

Statistics 101

You lose

Many different descriptive statistics can be chosen as a measure of the central tendency of the data items. These include the arithmetic mean, the median, and the mode. Other statistics, such as the standard deviation and the range, are called measures of spread and describe how spread out the data is.

You have a quote suppprting what I wrote and I lose? You are more deluded than usual.

After 12 pages I now understand that there is nothing that is done bu the ultra wealthy that could be considered "unfair"or "unequal".

If your boss comes out and says that the company will be laying off 50 people and cutting the wages for the rest of the employees, all so that the CEO can make 70 million a year instead of 60 million a year, that is not un fair. It is the right of the CEO and the misfortune of the employee to be working there.
But there is nothing wrong with the CEO cutting employee pay to increase his/her pay.

Or a company buys another company and moves the production off shore. Thereby increasing the pay for the CEO and costing the Americans's their job. Nothing unfair about that. Just the misfortune of the American worker to be employed by that particular company.

Matter of fact, I am realizing that there is nothing unfair or unequal in the world today. There is just misfortune and bad decisions on the part of the workers.

Man that makes it real easy to decimate the middle class. Just blame their demise on the workers.
And real easy for the ultra wealthy to contol all the money. It's their right and their due. Because they say so. And are backed up by a bunch of dim wit rethugs. Amazing.

You lose

You have a quote suppprting what I wrote and I lose? You are more deluded than usual.

Not only did you fail Statistics 101 you failed Logic 101

All averages are measures of central tendency therefore all measures of central tendency are averages

FAIL

I never claimed I had any such data. I don't think it's even available. That's why the chart is almost certain bullshit. The fact that I don't have an alternative set of numbers doesn't make the ones posted correct. That's the logic of a true believer, not a scientist.

Except that the data is available...

Really? Then post it. And I don't want to see any links to some ultra-pinko website.

Income Main- People and Households - U.S. Census Bureau

Average, technically speak, is just another term for measures of central tendency, so Rabbi's answer is technically correct. You are correct, however, in that the common English language use of "average" refers to the mean.

The problem is it is not the numbers that are in dispute. I would agree with most everything in the first two posts. Even the notion that our wealth distribution currently is less than ideal. What is in disagreement is the notion that how this wealth is distributed is somehow unfair along with the implication that someone else needs to 'fix' this distribution toward the ideal presented.

There is only one right way to fix this problem and it is a solution that liberals absolutely abhore. It's going to take responsibility on the part of individuals. If you don't like how much money a 1% makes, do your homework. Find out what company(s) he heads and don't give him/here your money anymore. If you are dissatisfied with what you make find out what skills earn more and do that. Find out how the wealthy, get wealthy instead of making excuses about how you're not wealthy because you're just too nice of a person.

The problem is it is not the numbers that are in dispute. I would agree with most everything in the first two posts. Even the notion that our wealth distribution currently is less than ideal. What is in disagreement is the notion that how this wealth is distributed is somehow unfair along with the implication that someone else needs to 'fix' this distribution toward the ideal presented.

There is only one right way to fix this problem and it is a solution that liberals absolutely abhore. It's going to take responsibility on the part of individuals. If you don't like how much money a 1% makes, do your homework. Find out what company(s) he heads and don't give him/here your money anymore. If you are dissatisfied with what you make find out what skills earn more and do that. Find out how the wealthy, get wealthy instead of making excuses about how you're not wealthy because you're just too nice of a person.

This rest of the faulty assumption that success is determined solely by merit. The reality is that institution factors individuals have almost no control over play a much larger role.

You lose

Not only did you fail Statistics 101 you failed Logic 101

All averages are measures of central tendency therefore all measures of central tendency are averages

FAIL

All men have ears therefore all who have ears are men.

And I failed logic?? You are unhinged, Nutsucker.

After 12 pages I now understand that there is nothing that is done bu the ultra wealthy that could be considered "unfair"or "unequal".

If your boss comes out and says that the company will be laying off 50 people and cutting the wages for the rest of the employees, all so that the CEO can make 70 million a year instead of 60 million a year, that is not un fair. It is the right of the CEO and the misfortune of the employee to be working there.
But there is nothing wrong with the CEO cutting employee pay to increase his/her pay.

Or a company buys another company and moves the production off shore. Thereby increasing the pay for the CEO and costing the Americans's their job. Nothing unfair about that. Just the misfortune of the American worker to be employed by that particular company.

Matter of fact, I am realizing that there is nothing unfair or unequal in the world today. There is just misfortune and bad decisions on the part of the workers.

Man that makes it real easy to decimate the middle class. Just blame their demise on the workers.
And real easy for the ultra wealthy to contol all the money. It's their right and their due. Because they say so. And are backed up by a bunch of dim wit rethugs. Amazing.

If that is what you got after 12 pages of discussion go out and hang yourself.

You were doing okay up to the second paragraph when you started making stupid assumptions that make no logical sense. You might find a bad one here or there, but typically CEO's don't cut pay or layoff people to make themselves more money.

Then you got back on track in your second to last paragraph. While I know you're being sarcastic, that really is reality. Not everyone is going to be born with the same socio-economic status. It isn't any's job to try to level out the playing field. That's just life. Secondly, what you don't acknowledge won't change. If some of you don't start acknowleding that the decisions you make decide your outcomes and change them accordingly then your outcomes aren't likely to change. That is the fundamental problem with liberals. I know we're supposed to avoid generalizations, but if there's one trait that holds true through most every liberal I've ever talked to it's the denial of self accountability. Liberals almost NEVER blame themselves for their problems. It's almost always someone elses fault and job to fix things for them.

Forum List

Back