Smarmy delusional Rethuglicans

Anguille

Bane of the Urbane
Mar 8, 2008
Urban organizer, ha ha ha! - The Boston Globe
"SPEAKERS AT the GOP convention last week launched a barrage of heavy sarcasm at an ill-chosen target: community organizers. The attacks generated a lot of snickering from the Republican delegates and may have succeeded at exploiting the resentment some voters feel toward big cities, where community organizers do a lot of their work. But on substance, the attacks border on slaphappy."

..... ( see link for full editorial)

"The GOP attacks on community organizers sound even more foolish when applied to today's practitioners. Many of them are as comfortable in boardrooms negotiating the sale of Low Income Housing Tax Credits or working with bankers to prevent foreclosures as they are holding English classes in church basements. In nearly every major city, neighborhood organizers advance successful nonpartisan policies, including community policing and mixed-income public housing. And in Boston, it was community organizers, not the GOP, who took on the city's teachers union when it became clear that union work rules stood in the way of education reform.

Republican delegates had a good laugh at the expense of community organizers. But it makes about as much sense as poking fun at nurses or safety engineers."

"SPEAKERS AT the GOP convention last week launched a barrage of heavy sarcasm at an ill-chosen target: community organizers. The attacks generated a lot of snickering from the Republican delegates and may have succeeded at exploiting the resentment some voters feel toward big cities, where community organizers do a lot of their work. But on substance, the attacks border on slaphappy."

"The GOP attacks on community organizers sound even more foolish when applied to today's practitioners. Many of them are as comfortable in boardrooms negotiating the sale of Low Income Housing Tax Credits or working with bankers to prevent foreclosures as they are holding English classes in church basements. In nearly every major city, neighborhood organizers advance successful nonpartisan policies, including community policing and mixed-income public housing. And in Boston, it was community organizers, not the GOP, who took on the city's teachers union when it became clear that union work rules stood in the way of education reform.

Republican delegates had a good laugh at the expense of community organizers. But it makes about as much sense as poking fun at nurses or safety engineers."

"smarmy, delusional, Rethuglicans"

don't sugarcoat it, ms anguille, tell us how you really feel..

"smarmy, delusional, Rethuglicans"

don't sugarcoat it, ms anguille, tell us how you really feel..

I knew that if I got a reaction from anyone, it would be from you. ;)

The Republicans are going down.

They can't hide McCain and Palin forever.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and a box of rocks?

Lipstick.

I knew that if I got a reaction from anyone, it would be from you. ;)

you mean age has withered and custom staled my infinite variety? I'm crushed.
I read it this morning before church,; he makes some good points, but it's hard for me to get too excited by political rhetoric at this stage, from either side. I've pretty much decided they're all FOS.

The Republicans are going down.

They can't hide McCain and Palin forever.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and a box of rocks?

Lipstick.

you should start wearing lipstick then, kirky.

I'd like to extend my apologies to any rocks, boxes or combinations thereof that the above comment may have offended.

"The GOP attacks on community organizers sound even more foolish when applied to today's practitioners."

supposedly the GOP is "attacking" community organizers because sarah palin dares to compare her experience as mayor and governor to obama's experience as a community organizer...???

by the way, obama has a clear record of being an arrogant cut-throat power grabber:

The day after New Year's 1996, operatives for Barack Obama filed into a barren hearing room of the Chicago Board of Election Commissioners.

There they began the tedious process of challenging hundreds of signatures on the nominating petitions of state Sen. Alice Palmer, the longtime progressive activist from the city's South Side. And they kept challenging petitions until every one of Obama's four Democratic primary rivals was forced off the ballot.

Fresh from his work as a civil rights lawyer and head of a voter registration project that expanded access to the ballot box, Obama launched his first campaign for the Illinois Senate saying he wanted to empower disenfranchised citizens.

But in that initial bid for political office, Obama quickly mastered the bare-knuckle arts of Chicago electoral politics. His overwhelming legal onslaught signaled his impatience to gain office, even if that meant elbowing aside an elder stateswoman like Palmer.
A close examination of Obama's first campaign clouds the image he has cultivated throughout his political career: The man now running for president on a message of giving a voice to the voiceless first entered public office not by leveling the playing field, but by clearing it.

Barack Obama knows his way around a ballot -- chicagotribune.com

August 28, 2008, 8:30 pm
The Godfather
By Michael Powell

DENVER — The Godfather is sitting there right in the front row, facing the podium, ready to see the man he long ago launched into politics give an acceptance speech.

Illinois State Senator Emil Jones Jr., 72, broad shouldered with a black baseball cap and a cat-that-ate-the-canary smile, rules as a power in the Cook County Democratic Machine, and president of the state senate.

Along the way, he adopted Barack Obama as his political son.

The Godfather - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

supposedly the GOP is "attacking" community organizers because sarah palin dares to compare her experience as mayor and governor to obama's experience as a community organizer...???

by the way, obama has a clear record of being an arrogant cut-throat power grabber:

Barack Obama knows his way around a ballot -- chicagotribune.com

The Godfather - The Caucus Blog - NYTimes.com

Alice Palmer (Illinois politician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alice J. Palmer (born June 20, 1939 in Indianapolis, Indiana) is a former Democratic State Senator from Illinois, representing the state's 13th District.[1] Dr. Palmer was the founding executive director of Chicago Cities in Schools and creator and founding director of the Chicago Metropolitan YMCA Youth and Government Program.

In 1994 Mel Reynolds, member of U.S. House of Representatives for Illinois's 2nd congressional district, was indicted for a sexual relationship with an underage campaign volunteer. Palmer filed for the Democratic nomination to his seat but finished third in a special election held November 1995, which was won by Jesse Jackson, Jr. She had, with a degree of formality that is disputed, anointed Barack Obama as her chosen successor in the State Senate, but after her defeat she filed to retain the Democratic nomination for the 13th District. Obama was able, however, to successfully challenge enough signatures to disqualify not only the incumbent but the other three candidates for the Democratic nomination as well, which he won unopposed.[2][3]

Obama himself has said that the challenges were necessitated by what he called obvious flaws in the challengers' signature sheets. "To my mind, we were just abiding by the rules that had been set up," he said in a 2007 interview with the Chicago Tribune.[3]. When asked if voters were not disserviced by a ballot with no opposing candidates, Obama said "I think they ended up with a very good state senator."[3]

Palmer endorsed Hillary Clinton for the Democratic presidential nomination in 2008.[4]

When I first heard Palin's sneering dismissal of community organizers I thought, "Why does she hate Jesus?"

But once it came out that Palin is the Pork Queen, specializing in stealing the bread out of poor people' mouths (taxes that I pay) and forcing us to continue borrowing from China to buy equipment for our troops just to benefit some silly nonsense projects in Alaska, I understood.

I don't understand why repukes were giggling like little school girls about community organizers. I really don't think they know what community organizers are, nor do they remember that republicans use to praise them.

Bush's father, Poppy Bush, honored community organizers and referred to them as america's "thousand points of light"

I have spoken of a thousand points of light, of all the community organizations that are spread like stars throughout the Nation, doing good. We will work hand in hand, encouraging, sometimes leading, sometimes being led, rewarding. We will work on this in the White House, in the Cabinet agencies. I will go to the people and the programs that are the brighter points of light, and I will ask every member of my government to become involved. -- George H.W. Bush

I don't understand why repukes were giggling like little school girls about community organizers. I really don't think they know what community organizers are, nor do they remember that republicans use to praise them.

Bush's father, Poppy Bush, honored community organizers and referred to them as america's "thousand points of light"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynHpOg5ZkuQ]YouTube - Rocking in the Free World - Neil Young[/ame]

Which was famously referenced in this song.

This song relates more today then even when it originally came out. Seems Mr. Neil Young can also tell the future since this is also true today.

We got a thousand points of light
For the homeless man
We got a kinder, gentler,
Machine gun hand
We got department stores
and toilet paper
Got styrofoam boxes
for the ozone layer
Got a man of the people, (These two lines, Barack Obama anyone?)
says keep hope alive
Got fuel to burn,
got roads to drive.

When I first heard Palin's sneering dismissal of community organizers I thought, "Why does she hate Jesus?"

But once it came out that Palin is the Pork Queen, specializing in stealing the bread out of poor people' mouths (taxes that I pay) and forcing us to continue borrowing from China to buy equipment for our troops just to benefit some silly nonsense projects in Alaska, I understood.

:rofl: oh c'mon ravioli-o! hating the baby jesus? :lol:

was it a reeeally a sneering dismissal of community organizers or wasn't that merely a fabrication?

wasn't it really just a comment in her speech regarding their comparative executive experience...?

she is running for vp not president and she has more executive experience.

the truth is there reeeally has been a sneering dismissal by the democrats of sarah palin's experience from day one.

why do you hate sarah palin?

I don't think it was so much that she compared her experience as mayor and governor to Obama's experience as a community organizer it was how she did it

"I guess being mayor of a small town is kinda like being a community organizer, except you have REAL RESPONSIBILITIES"

and the fact that they are approaching Obama's experience as a community organizer like it's ALL he's done is kind of funny. He's also been a civil rights attorney, a constitutional law professor, state legislature and now a Congressman, not to mention the many boards of directors he's sat on over the years.

It's just disingenuous crap and typical of a party that doesn't have anything to say on their own behalf.

:rofl: oh c'mon ravioli-o! hating the baby jesus? :lol:

was it a reeeally a sneering dismissal of community organizers or wasn't that merely a fabrication?

wasn't it really just a comment in her speech regarding their comparative executive experience...?

she is running for vp not president and she has more executive experience.

the truth is there reeeally has been a sneering dismissal by the democrats of sarah palin's experience from day one.

why do you hate sarah palin?

Why did Sarah Palin (or, more accurately McCain's speech writers) have her pick out what Obama was doing in his mid twenties? Both Palin and Obama have done a lot of things, and had major accomplishements since they were 26 years old.

A fair comparison would be to compare what Sarah Palin and Barack Obama were doing at the same point in their lives:

Sarah Palin, age 22 to 27:

In 1984, Palin won the Miss Wasilla Pageant, then finished second in the Miss Alaska pageant, at which she won a college scholarship and the "Miss Congeniality" award.

She graduated from University of Idaho with a degree in journalism in 1987. In 1988, she worked as a sports reporter for KTUU-TV in Anchorage, Alaska. She also helped in her husband’s family commercial fishing business.

Obama, age 22 to age 27:

Obama graduated with a B.A. from Columbia in 1983, then worked for a year at the Business International Corporation and then at the New York Public Interest Research Group.

Obama moved to Chicago to work as a community organizer for three years from June 1985 to May 1988 as director of the Developing Communities Project (DCP), a church-based community organization originally comprising eight Catholic parishes in Greater Roseland on Chicago's far South Side.

During his three years as the DCP's director, its staff grew from 1 to 13 and its annual budget grew from $70,000 to $400,000, with accomplishments including helping set up a job training program, a college preparatory tutoring program, and a tenants' rights organization in Altgeld Gardens. Obama also worked as a consultant and instructor for the Gamaliel Foundation, a community organizing institute.

p.s. McCain doesn't have "executive" experience either.

Last edited:
Why did Sarah Palin (or, more accurately McCain's speech writers) have her pick out what Obama was doing in his mid twenties? Both Palin and Obama have done a lot of things, and had major accomplishements since they were 26 years old.

A fair comparison would be to compare what Sarah Palin and Barack Obama were doing at the same point in their lives:

Wow now thats what I call spin ! It's not what you do---it's how old you were when you did it that matters. :rolleyes:

"
In 1984, Palin won the Miss Wasilla Pageant, then finished second in the Miss Alaska pageant, at which she won a college scholarship and the "Miss Congeniality" award."

As if Palin didn't scare me enough! :p

"
In 1984, Palin won the Miss Wasilla Pageant, then finished second in the Miss Alaska pageant, at which she won a college scholarship and the "Miss Congeniality" award."

As if Palin didn't scare me enough! :p

:tongue: she said she did it for the scholarship money.

Wow now thats what I call spin ! It's not what you do---it's how old you were when you did it that matters. :rolleyes:

She mocked his job as a community organizer, while she was a part time sports caster for a small TV staion.

As for her "executive" experience.....

Being mayor of a small city is an admirable job, but please don't even bring it up as executive experience worthy of being a potential president.

Dude, I live in a town of 10,000 people and I know the mayor. She's a nice lady, a smart lady. But she doesn't appoint judges, she doesn't run a healthcare system, she doesn't run the schools. Those are county and state functions. She makes sure the garbage is picked up and the city parks are maintained.

Or, as Sarah Palin herself describes the job of being a small town mayor:

"'It's not rocket science. It's $6 million and 53 employees." -- Sarah Palin

So, the only thing she has with respect to being vice president is 20 months as governor of a state with 600,000 people. The 48th largest state in the union.

Obama has 8 years as a state senator, four years as a US Senator, he's traveled the world, met with foreign leaders, and outside of the presidency and the secreatary of state, has the most important foreign relations job in the country: the US Senate foreign relations committee.

And he beat the clinton machine, to win a national nomination. Something noboby thought a one term junior senator from Illinois could do. That's a major accomplishment, and a testament to his skills and cunning as a leader.

Sarah Palin couldn't have won a national GOP nomination this year. Not a chance in hell. She wouldn't have gotten 1% of the delegates.

She mocked his job as a community organizer, while she was a part time sports caster for a small TV staion.

As for her "executive" experience.....

Being mayor of a small city is an admirable job, but please don't even bring it up as executive experience worthy of being a potential president.

Dude, I live in a town of 10,000 people and I know the mayor. She's a nice lady, a smart lady. But she doesn't appoint judges, she doesn't run a healthcare system, she doesn't run the schools. Those are county and state functions. She makes sure the garbage is picked up and the city parks are maintained.

Or, as Sarah Palin herself describes the job of being a small town mayor:

So, the only thing she has with respect to being vice president is 20 months as governor of a state with 600,000 people. The 48th largest state in the union.

Obama has 8 years as a state senator, four years as a US Senator, he's traveled the world, met with foreign leaders, and outside of the presidency and the secreatary of state, has the most important foreign relations job in the country: the US Senate foreign relations committee.

And he beat the clinton machine, to win a national nomination. Something noboby thought a one term junior senator from Illinois could do. That's a major accomplishment, and a testament to his skills and cunning as a leader.

Sarah Palin couldn't have won a national GOP nomination this year. Not a chance in hell. She wouldn't have gotten 1% of the delegates.

in his 8 years in the senate, obama has barely taken any leadership positions on issues. in most of the controversial votes, he chose not to vote at all and only listed himself as "present"... he did that something like 150 times already!

sarah palin has demonstrated real leadership and taken the bull by the horns in alaska and reformed her state's government.

and obama didn't beat hillary, the dnc got revenge on the clinton's...

Forum List

Back