Sleep

I tend to get 7-8 hours.

I really like peace of the the early morning hours so I tend to crash fairly early most evenings.

Have trouble sleeping at night, so tend to sleep during the day. Usually get 3 to 4 hours or less for a while then crash for 8 to 12 hours. and start the process over. I have gone 3 days with almost no sleep because I couldn't fall asleep or stay asleep when I did.

Then there is my diabetes. It can crash me any time for several hours or more.

5 hours last night due to an early-morning exam, but I usually like to get 10 - 12 or I'm tired during the day.

Get: 3-6 on average.

Wish I got: More.

Ditto.

4 of the 7 cervical vertebra in my neck are one piece, so laying my head down trying to sleep is nothing more than an odyssey in pain.

Me too, but when I got my neck injury I chose not to have it fused - same with my lower back, the TX-12 vertebrate which happened in an earlier accident - but even so, over time, bone spurs have built up from arthritis surrounding or pressing on the nerves coming from the spine, which inflicts pain.

I find I can sleep with a large pillow to keep my neck as much as possible in the same position as when I'm standing. With that arrangement there is no way to sleep on the back because the neck would have to bend, which is also good to prevent snoring. I also sleep with a smallish pillow between my knees because of the discomfort of the knees coming in contact with each other.

I had sleep apnea, and used the machine but, thankfully, I was able to stop using it partly because of losing weight (gettin down to my optimum), that 'large-pillow', and the pillow between the knees which remind me to stay on my side. After 40 years plus my wife and I have started sleeping on different sides of the bed, which means I now sleep facing outwards rather than towards her side of the bed. When I slept on my right side it seemed my right arm felt pinned under my body and ached; I don't experience that with my left arm.

Managing sleep is becoming ever more difficult with age. All these problems arise out of living a very physically demanding life. Because of this, something I never thought I would, but I envy those who've spent their lives sitting at a desk, or just standing most of their working time.

Forum List

Back