Slavery

Does the slave class ever forgive their oppressors even after being set free?

Do some of you smart folks in here know of any ancient examples?
I don’t think they do. I’ve still got it out for the Italians because the romans enslave my peoples for a 1000 years. And I want my reparations dammit!

There are millions around the world still held in the bonds of slavery TODAY!
Before you bring up old history, why don't you deal with the truth facing you now?

It depended on how the slaves were treated while in captivity. A large number of slaves in the American South maintained good relations with their former masters after emancipation because they had been treated humanely. I would hesitate to put a percentage on this, but, based on my reading of slave narratives and histories of the 19th-century South, I'd say perhaps 50% of slaves fell into this category.

It was not uncommon in ancient Greece and Rome for slaveholders to free their slaves, either out of kindness of heart or because they allowed the slave to earn enough money to pay for freedom. Again, how the freed slave viewed his ex-master depended on how he was treated while in captivity. If a master freed a slave because the slave was getting old and because he wanted to be rid of the cost of maintaining the old slave, that was a different story.

I doubt anybody remembers how they were treated as slaves. The most entertaining story of how slaves were treated will be the relevant factor not reality.

Oh, I think people definitely remember how they were treated as slaves. That's not something you tend to forget.

Sure. Poland, under Cas the Great freed the slave in 1347.

You never hear problems at all with the ex-slaves in the ghettos of Poland. In fact, the ghettos in towns like Warsaw have been populated largely by honkies for the past hundred years.

It's likely that every person on the face of the earth has the DNA of slavery inside them. Every society in history was enslaved and/or engaged in slavery since Neanderthals were hunting the woolly mammoths. The question seems to be how a political party can gain power by extorting reparations from innocent people and how far back in time a political party can play the guilt game.

Forum List

Back