Adorable Killers: The Shocking Truth about Cats

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
possum thinks ya shouldn't trust a cat `cause right when ya think dey's yer buddy - dey'll smack ya onna nose...
:eek:
Feline Allergy Cure in the Works
July 25, 2013 > People who are allergic to cats may soon get some relief from the itchy eyes, sneezing, asthma and coughing.
Researchers at Cambridge University in England have shown how the most common cause of allergic reactions to cats, the Fel d 1 protein that is found in cat dander, interacts with a common chemical in the human body to cause an allergic reaction. When the dander -- dead skin cells -- is combined with a common environmental toxin called lipopolysaccharides, or LPS, it stimulates an immune receptor called TLR 4, triggering allergic reactions

E92970E8-4B15-4336-B611-7A1F5BDF1315_w640_r1_s.jpg

Researchers have discovered the trigger for feline allergies.

Allergic reactions are the result of the immune system overreacting to a perceived danger. Instead of identifying and responding to a harmful virus or bacteria, it misidentifies different allergens, including dander, as dangerous and mounts an immune response. "How cat dander causes such a severe allergic reaction in some people has long been a mystery," said Clare Bryant, the lead author of the study. "Not only did we find out that LPS exacerbates the immune response’s reaction to cat dander, we identified the part of [the] immune system that recognizes it."

Using a drug that inhibits TLR 4, researchers were able to block an allergic reaction. "As drugs have already been developed to inhibit the receptor TLR4, we are hopeful that our research will lead to new and improved treatments for cat and possibly dog allergy sufferers," Bryant added. In the future, the findings could yield a drug that could block the allergic reaction completely. Cat allergy sufferers usually rely on antihistamines, which have side effects such as drowsiness.

Feline Allergy Cure in the Works

Cats are true predators.

They are the wildest of the tame and tamest of the wild.

BUT - they do just fine as inside-only pets.

Be a responsible pet only - keep them inside.

By Marco Evers
Photo Galleries: The Meowing Murderers among Us Photo Galleries: The Meowing Murderers among Us - SPIEGEL ONLINE - International

The house cat -- that cute, furry feline beloved the world over -- is also one of the world's most destructive predators, killing for kicks and hunting rare species into extinction. Cats thrive because people protect them -- but should they?

More @ Killer Cats Threaten the World's Endangered Species - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Yup. They are killers who kill for no reason.

I remember watching a show a few years ago. This show was about a neighborhood who were asked to keep track of what they're cats brought home. This show was from GB and WOW. The shear numbers of mice, bird, rabbits, voles and anything else the cats brought home was mind boggling. Killers? You bet.

My Coon Cat is the terror of the field mice on my land without doubt.

But I note that the overall population of field mice seems pretty stable.

They really are.. i hate to admin this but cats are dangerous sometimes (LIONS, TIGERS, CHEETAH and ETC) Cats eh? xD

All predators kill for food, except the pampered domestic cat. Cats enjoy killing, torturing, taunting and mostly they don't even eat their prey.

For that reason I would NEVER have (and never did) a cat that has its claws and goes outside.

All the cats I ever had were declawed inside cats.

All predators kill for food, except the pampered domestic cat. Cats enjoy killing, torturing, taunting and mostly they don't even eat their prey.

For that reason I would NEVER have (and never did) a cat that has its claws and goes outside.

Just listened to an NPR podcast with a cat expert who said declawing is like amputation. It was on Fresh Air last week.

Just listened to an NPR podcast with a cat expert who said declawing is like amputation. It was on Fresh Air last week.

I agree. Declawing a cat OR dog is a horrible thing to do. If they were born to be without claws, Nature would provide that.:mad:

It's not "like" an amputation, it is an amputation. They can't just remove the claw, so they remove the entire toe joint, claw and all.

It's a mutilation. If people can't handle the claws they shouldn't have cats.

Well, like most problems with domesticated animals, it's their skanky-assed, irresponsible, worthless human owners' fault. And as for feral cat populations, they came to be because of skanky-assed, irresponsible, worthless humans.

Sorry, I'm kind of grouchy today.

Well, like most problems with domesticated animals, it's their skanky-assed, irresponsible, worthless human owners' fault. And as for feral cat populations, they came to be because of skanky-assed, irresponsible, worthless humans.

Sorry, I'm kind of grouchy today.

Exactly my feelings;

Forum List

Back