Six Common Cat Feeding Mistakes

I treat my pets like my current occupation, starve them and eventually they will eat anything.

I call my dog and he comes running.

But when I call my cat who see's me on the internet all the time, he wishes that I 'text' him and he'll get back to me, when he's ready.

My cats are inside/outside cats. When they want food I feed them.

When they were younger I kept food out on the porch all the time, and fed them inside when they wanted it as well. They also get certain scraps...chicken or fish. I don't give them beef or anything in great quantities (that's human food). They get a taste here and there.

When I make oatmeal, all the leftovers, whether it's plain oatmeal in the pot or oatmeal with milk, sugar and butter that the kids leave behind (usually not very much) I always put that down for my dog, who is allergice to wheat and beef, but LOVES oatmeal. And often the kitties will taste that, too, but Mylo pretty much eats most of it.

My cats are super healthy, certainly not too fat...but never hungry, or at least not for long.

I had to quit putting the catfood on the porch because a civet cat or skunk (I'm not sure which, he was upside down and fighting when I saw him. Right before he sprayed my dog, the screen door, me and my two kids who were standing on the other side of the screen.) was coming onto our porch to eat it. Not good.

I have seen indoor kitties get very fat, though, with food available 24/7. Some do, some don't. With cats like people, I'm sure it's hugely genetic.

Cat Feeding Mistakes: Too Much Food

Probably the most common mistake people make when feeding cats is over-feeding, says Joe Bartges, DVM, PhD, DACVIM, DACVN, professor of medicine and nutrition, the Acree Endowed Chair of Small Animal Research, in the College of Veterinary Medicine, at the University of Tennessee. “Obesity is the most common nutritional disease seen in cats.”

Although a pudgy kitty may look kind of cute, obesity is associated with a host of cat health issues, from diabetes to arthritis, urinary tract disease to heart problems. In fact, Bartges tells WebMD that cats may suffer from something similar to that very human condition, metabolic syndrome.

Much more:

Cat Food and Water ? Mistakes People Make Feeding Kitty

I agree. I have two cats myself. One is only 4 years old, but the other is 12 years old and she pukes all over the house. We feed them a half of can of wet food every morning and then we just fill a small bowl of dry food once a day. For some reason she gorges herself at night and pukes everywhere. I mean I Love her and all, she has been with me since back in my single days, but I am reaching my limit. Cleaning up cat puke everyday is getting old real quick. ~BH

Cat Feeding Mistakes: Too Much Food

Probably the most common mistake people make when feeding cats is over-feeding, says Joe Bartges, DVM, PhD, DACVIM, DACVN, professor of medicine and nutrition, the Acree Endowed Chair of Small Animal Research, in the College of Veterinary Medicine, at the University of Tennessee. “Obesity is the most common nutritional disease seen in cats.”

Although a pudgy kitty may look kind of cute, obesity is associated with a host of cat health issues, from diabetes to arthritis, urinary tract disease to heart problems. In fact, Bartges tells WebMD that cats may suffer from something similar to that very human condition, metabolic syndrome.

Much more:

Cat Food and Water ? Mistakes People Make Feeding Kitty

I agree. I have two cats myself. One is only 4 years old, but the other is 12 years old and she pukes all over the house. We feed them a half of can of wet food every morning and then we just fill a small bowl of dry food once a day. For some reason she gorges herself at night and pukes everywhere. I mean I Love her and all, she has been with me since back in my single days, but I am reaching my limit. Cleaning up cat puke everyday is getting old real quick. ~BH

My cat spends a great deal of time on the floor registers in the winter. This causes dry skin and in turn leads to excessive grooming. On occasion that means hair balls. Other times I can stop that with a change in food brand. This is most associated with the dry food.

I'm an owner of my first cat. He is at least 16 lbs. I have one of those food dispenser dishes. He eats a few bites every half hour it seems. He doesn't pig out on one eating but rather two bites per half hour. I've tried taking that dish away and just giving him two feedings a day but that didn't work out at all. He bites me, and will not leave me alone, knocks stuff off of tables, and just plain out becomes a rebellious cat.

I love my Smokey cat, he doesn't seem to suffer from anything. He gets exercise but he has this big floppy belling. What to do?

I'm an owner of my first cat. He is at least 16 lbs. I have one of those food dispenser dishes. He eats a few bites every half hour it seems. He doesn't pig out on one eating but rather two bites per half hour. I've tried taking that dish away and just giving him two feedings a day but that didn't work out at all. He bites me, and will not leave me alone, knocks stuff off of tables, and just plain out becomes a rebellious cat.

I love my Smokey cat, he doesn't seem to suffer from anything. He gets exercise but he has this big floppy belling. What to do?

Just a guess, but you may have a really bored cat. Get another one about the same age, but slightly younger. Like people, they eat when there's not much else to do.

Just a guess, but you may have a really bored cat. Get another one about the same age, but slightly younger. Like people, they eat when there's not much else to do.
That isn't an option for me in the near future. I play with him, he drags his favorite toy (shoestring) all over the house so I pick it up and play with him all day long. HE is bored huh? What else to keep him busy besides another cat?

That isn't an option for me in the near future. I play with him, he drags his favorite toy (shoestring) all over the house so I pick it up and play with him all day long. HE is bored huh? What else to keep him busy besides another cat?

Catnip.

Forum List

Back