Six Common Cat Feeding Mistakes

AquaAthena

America First...MAGA
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 16, 2010
Central Coast
Cat Feeding Mistakes: Too Much Food

Probably the most common mistake people make when feeding cats is over-feeding, says Joe Bartges, DVM, PhD, DACVIM, DACVN, professor of medicine and nutrition, the Acree Endowed Chair of Small Animal Research, in the College of Veterinary Medicine, at the University of Tennessee. “Obesity is the most common nutritional disease seen in cats.”

Although a pudgy kitty may look kind of cute, obesity is associated with a host of cat health issues, from diabetes to arthritis, urinary tract disease to heart problems. In fact, Bartges tells WebMD that cats may suffer from something similar to that very human condition, metabolic syndrome.

Much more:

Cat Food and Water ? Mistakes People Make Feeding Kitty

Giving a cat food is the first mistake.

Never feed cats, lest they breed and stay around.

☭proletarian☭;2110578 said:

lol...yeah, that would work like another entitlement program, wouldn't it???

Unless you give cats all they can eat, they just won't shut the fuck up.

Sound like kittie's in control?? I'm in control at my house. :) And my cat is the perfect weight and quiet. She knows who is the "Pack Leader."

If you put them in the dryer for 5 minutes before you feed them it will cut your cat food bill in half.

My cats have a buffet of four different varieties of dry cat food, 24/7/365.

They get special treats in separate bowls twice a day.

Unlike dogs, cats will not wolf down food until it's all gone. They will graze if food is available consistently, all the time. I have to replenish the buffets about once a week.

None of my cats have any weight issues whatsoever. KEY to all this is, fresh water kept available 27/7/365. Cats drink alot more than is generally known and will drink alot if you keep fresh water available.

The accepted wisdom of not feeding your cats to control weight is wrong. Keep food available 24/7 and they won't eat as much! They will graze with little nibble sessions a few times a day.

My cats have a buffet of four different varieties of dry cat food, 24/7/365.

They get special treats in separate bowls twice a day.

Unlike dogs, cats will not wolf down food until it's all gone. They will graze if food is available consistently, all the time. I have to replenish the buffets about once a week.

None of my cats have any weight issues whatsoever. KEY to all this is, fresh water kept available 27/7/365. Cats drink alot more than is generally known and will drink alot if you keep fresh water available.

The accepted wisdom of not feeding your cats to control weight is wrong. Keep food available 24/7 and they won't eat as much! They will graze with little nibble sessions a few times a day.

I do the same thing, leaving dry food out. They just eat a bit and walk away, coming back later. Until I read the rest of the above article though, I didn't know WHY cats are prone to kidney disease, more so than any other and at a early age, for some. Apparently they need the moisture from the wet cat food. My girl won't eat wet food though. None of it. And I do change her water everyday and she still sips very little. I think there may not be enough salt in dry food??

The article is a very good one for those of us who love our pussies. :) *meow*

☭proletarian☭;2110578 said:

Pfft. I'd put the life of my cat above a very large portion of human beings on this planet.

Ohh I thought this was about feeding cats to other critters.
That works best if the cat is dead first.

Another horney grim reaper...:lol: :lol: :lol: Men who hate cats, usually fear women. As cats, some of us women will not be controlled...

Another horney grim reaper...:lol: :lol: :lol: Men who hate cats, usually fear women. As cats, some of us women will not be controlled...

I have 4 outside cats and one inside 3 legged cat on which I have likely spent close to $1,000 so far.

Yep I am a cat hater ;)

I have 4 outside cats and one inside 3 legged cat on which I have likely spent close to $1,000 so far.

Yep I am a cat hater ;)

Ahh, seeeeeee, you were just teasing the mermaid. :confused: Do you know that cats have 10 bones in their tails? They are very protective of their tails, for good reason..lol

i ask my vet about the dry food and wet food...she said you can feed just dry food blah blah blah....i keep water out for the cats ...more than the toilet bowl...which they do seem to like...cats seem to enjoy cold water too...we normally give them ice in their water...the little one likes to play with the ice

Forum List

Back