Single Pay Education

random3434

Jun 29, 2008
How is it that we are willing to spend so much on kids once they are found guilty of crimes but so little when they are still innocent? What kind of society spends more than 10 times as much to incarcerate a child as it does to educate him?

It's time we start looking at education reform in bold and different ways, to stop protecting little parcels of partisan turf and start thinking outside the box. To consider the possibilities. To look past our own political backyards at what might lie on the other side of the mountain.

What I see on the other side of the mountain is a single-payer education system.

In a single-payer health care plan, the federal government provides coverage for all U.S. citizens and legal residents. Patients don't go to a government doctor -- they just have the government pay the bill.

And that's how it would work with education. In a single-payer education plan, the federal government, in conjunction with the states, would provide an education allotment for every parent of school age children.

Arianna Huffington: So We Can't Have Single Payer for Health Care, But How About Single Payer for Education?

How about parents taking responsibility for educating their own kids, instead of looking to government to wipe their butt for them?

how about single payer employment....housing ....food.....transportation......

the government could just print money and pass it out to the people.....

So how would you solve the country's education problems?

How about parents taking responsibility for educating their own kids, instead of looking to government to wipe their butt for them?

Let's all homeschool! Perfect!

Why should I have to pay for the education of a kid in another state? You won't find that kind of thinking in Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution. Is personal responsibility a bad thing with you? What is with the sarcasm?

Why should I have to pay for the education of a kid in another state? You won't find that kind of thinking in Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution. Is personal responsibility a bad thing with you? What is with the sarcasm?

Is this what bothers you?

And that's how it would work with education. In a single-payer education plan, the federal government, in conjunction with the states, would provide an education allotment for every parent of a K-12 child. Parents would then be free to enroll their child in the school of their choice

You don't think parents should be able to chose which school their child attends?

Tell me then, what are your ideas on how we can change the education system in this country.

And that's how it would work with education. In a single-payer education plan, the federal government, in conjunction with the states, would provide an education allotment for every parent of a K-12 child. Parents would then be free to enroll their child in the school of their choice

You don't think parents should be able to chose which school their child attends?

Tell me then, what are your ideas on how we can change the education system in this country.

Actually, unless parents are paying for a private education, children should be required to attend the schools in the area they live in. Much like I'm required to pay a school tax when I don't even have kids just because I live here.

And that's how it would work with education. In a single-payer education plan, the federal government, in conjunction with the states, would provide an education allotment for every parent of school age children.

Arianna Huffington: So We Can't Have Single Payer for Health Care, But How About Single Payer for Education?

My god she rambles. She needs to get a better editor. But I'm amazed that she's on-board with a (gasp) Conservative idea:

In education, the government would be responsible for accrediting the schools among which parents could choose.

As long as private schools are excluded, I agree.

so you would have supported the school voucher system?

Parts of it has good ideas. Dive, what are your ideas on how we should/could change the education system in this country? You must be interested since your posting on this thread, I bet you have some great ones!

Have you met most parents?

I have met many inner city parents. Some, not all, really want to make a better life for their children,and know a good education is the way out of poverty. A lot of them don't know how to be good role models, because they didn't have them. I think breaking the cycle through better education is a step in the right direction. But it's not going to happen overnight, and there need to be changes made. The NCLB has good points and bad points, and some expectations that can never be met.

Parts of it has good ideas. Dive, what are your ideas on how we should/could change the education system in this country? You must be interested since your posting on this thread, I bet you have some great ones!
well, i say drop the fed dept of education, cut taxes by the amount that funds it, allow the locals/states to collect that money however they wish to do it and then let them run their own schools

well, i say drop the fed dept of education, cut taxes by the amount that funds it, allow the locals/states to collect that money however they wish to do it and then let them run their own schools

Interesting. So no Dept of Ed. That means no NCLB! :lol:

Where do you think the states would get the extra money that is not provided by the government? What taxes would need to be increased in each state to make up the difference?

Parents CAN choose what school their child attends. It's called moving to be in a certain district. Want to be in a good school district? Buy or rent in that district. On the other hand, if you want to put your kid in a good private school, cough up the cash.

My mom moved when I was in second grade so my brother and I could be in a better school district. It wasn't difficult, at all.

Have you met most parents?

What does that have to do with the core issue? Why is it, so many people complain about the political whores in Washington, and the ever growing expanse of government, and then want government to fix another problem that they helped to create? That is illogical.

According to the Constitution, the federal government has no business in the education business to begin with. But people have gotten so used to their big government wipe my butt for my ways, they see the Constitution way as foreign and wrong.

If people of the respective states want to have their government wipe their butt for them in this area, then they can pay for it themselves. i want no part of paying for someone else in a different state.

It is sad that so many feel lost without the feds. And it is just as troubling, that so many self-professing conservatives rail on the self-professed liberals for loving their welfare, while being in love with it themselves.

How about we actually follow the Constitution, instead of trying to cherry pick it apart? How about people start practicing personal responsibility and accountability?

For those that don't have the ability to home school or make other private entity arrangements, and for those who are orphans, education can still be accomplished, without the federal government. A lot of people don't want to hear all that though. It is too hard for them. It requires too much time and sacrifice. It is easier for them to pawn their kids off on someone else to babysit / teach.

New Topics

Forum List

Back