Simple SOLUTION to gun control

Why would any sane person object to banning the sale of 100 round magazines?
Because they have yet to head a sound argument to that end, with a specific and detailed explanation as to how said ban does not violate the Constitution.

Givie it a try. I dare you.

it's not overly complicated. one could simply argue that a magazine itself was not a weapon.
Hmm. Words are not speech; by your argument it is OK to ban words.

further, as a nation we've already decided that the second amendment isn't absolute. we don't allow people to own surface to air missiles, large bombs, or chemical weapons. we limit the arms people have a right to keep all the time.
The issue here is the absence of a sound argument for banning a magazine for a legal weapon that is protected by the constitution. Your statement here does not achieve that goal.

The question then becomes where is the line and do or should large magazines cross it?
Yes. And I'm looking for a sound argument fot that ban, one that does violate the Constitution.

it is my opinion that since they serve no other practical purpose than to enable mass shootings...
Show this to be the case.

BTW, I do at least thank you for trying.

it's not overly complicated. one could simply argue that a magazine itself was not a weapon.

further, as a nation we've already decided that the second amendment isn't absolute. we don't allow people to own surface to air missiles, large bombs, or chemical weapons. we limit the arms people have a right to keep all the time.

the question then becomes where is the line and do or should large magazines cross it?
it is my opinion that since they serve no other practical purpose than to enable mass shootings they should be more closely regulated if not outright banned.

The 1939 Supreme Court ruling would disagree with you. In order to be protected under the second Amendment a weapon must be in use, of use or previously in use by the military. That clearly includes high capacity magazines.

A magazine is not a weapon. That aside your criteria only fixes a minimum standard. We clearly do not allow individuals to own all weaponry used by the military.
US v Miller states that to fall under the protection of the 2nd, a weapon must be suitable for service in the militia, be of a kind in common use at the time, and one that is part of the ordinary military equipment.

AR-15s w/ hi-cap mags fits perfectly into that description.

Just because you set conditions for the argument doesn't make the conditions legitimate.
As I said:
Your agument fails, and my statement stands - because no one has heard a sound argument to that end, one that specifically explains how that ban does not violate the Constitution.

Get back to me when you figure out a way to address the question.
You claimed that in order for there to be constitutionally sound limitations put on the rights to free speech and gun ownership, there has to be a clear, immediate, and present danger that the law is addressing.
There is no such criterion.
This is a lie, or abject ignorance.
Decide which and let us know.

the question then becomes where is the line and do or should large magazines cross it?
it is my opinion that since they serve no other practical purpose than to enable mass shootings they should be more closely regulated if not outright banned.

The 1939 Supreme Court ruling would disagree with you. In order to be protected under the second Amendment a weapon must be in use, of use or previously in use by the military. That clearly includes high capacity magazines.

That would also include fully automatic weapons, so by your logic the Aurora killer should have been able to legally purchase and own those to carry out his act.
Yep. Perfectly legal for him to do so under state and federal law.

Sorry, but that's the dumbest "solution" I've seen anyone come up with...and that's saying a lot.

I love my guns and want to keep them. I also support sensible gun laws.

So explain what sensible gun laws need to be passed. Ohh and make sure they do not violate my second amendment rights or my supposed right to privacy.

I like the idea to limit magazine/clip size. Your thoughts?
Please present a sound argumet for same, including an explanation as to how such a ban does not violate the Constitution.

So explain what sensible gun laws need to be passed. Ohh and make sure they do not violate my second amendment rights or my supposed right to privacy.

Please present a sound argumet for same, including an explanation as to how such a ban does not violate the Constitution.

It forces someone to re-load instead of spraying seemingly limitless numbers of rounds into formerly breathing individuals. It's not a ban (nice try). Clips/magazines aren't mentioned in the Constitution of the US.

It forces someone to re-load instead of spraying seemingly limitless numbers of rounds into formerly breathing individuals.
What's the difference in time between firing off 3x20 magazines and 6x10 rd magazines from an AR-15, and how does that difference in time support the necessity of the ban you propose?

It's not a ban (nice try).
A magazine ban isnt a ban?

Clips/magazines aren't mentioned in the Constitution of the US.
Hmm. Neither are words. By your argument, words can be banned as well.

That would also include fully automatic weapons, so by your logic the Aurora killer should have been able to legally purchase and own those to carry out his act.

Automatic weapons are considered crew served or squad weapons as such the Supreme Court ruled them not protected. However in 37 States one can legally purchase a fully automatic weapon. One must get a federal license to do so.

As I said:
Your agument fails, and my statement stands - because no one has heard a sound argument to that end, one that specifically explains how that ban does not violate the Constitution.

Get back to me when you figure out a way to address the question.
You claimed that in order for there to be constitutionally sound limitations put on the rights to free speech and gun ownership, there has to be a clear, immediate, and present danger that the law is addressing.
There is no such criterion.
This is a lie, or abject ignorance.
Decide which and let us know.

You're denying you said this?

You can ban yelling fire in crowded theatre despite the free speech protection in the Constitution.

Becauase doing so places people in a condition of clear, present and immediate danger.

Quote:
You can ban using a 100 round magazine equipped rifle to kill people in a crowded theatre, despite the 2nd amendment.

Presuming your previous statement is relevant to this one...

Specifcally, how does simple ownership/posession of a 100-round magazine place others in a condition of clear, present and immediate danger?

Unless you can answer that question, your agument fails and my statement stands.

Who typed that if you didn't?

It forces someone to re-load instead of spraying seemingly limitless numbers of rounds into formerly breathing individuals.
What's the difference in time between firing off 3x20 magazines and 6x10 rd magazines from an AR-15, and how does that difference in time support the necessity of the ban you propose?
Re-loading time. When you're not firing, the police can take shots at you with more accuracy, people you're shooting at can get away.

It's not a ban (nice try).
A magazine ban isnt a ban?
No, its a limit on the size of magazines/clips. Not a ban.

Clips/magazines aren't mentioned in the Constitution of the US.
Hmm. Neither are words. By your argument, words can be banned as well.
[/QUOTE]

Only an idiot would make such a statement.

PS: Certian words are not protected by the first amendment--yelling "fire" in a crowded movie theater--no pun intended. You cannot say certain words on the public airwaves. Again, nice try.

Forum List

Back