Signups for Official USMB Mafia Game #3

I agree.....some are acting as if this is a real life lynching.... I know we all want to make sure we make the right decision, but damn, over scrutinizing it just makes you more frustrated.

Use your best judgment, if we make a mistake so be it, we're learning.

So far I've learned that I'm not very good at figuring it out, but I'm giving it my best. If that makes me suspicious, so be it, but damn, just vote.

To be fair, no one is really good at figuring out. We are all guessing. We are right sometimes. We are wrong other times.

Most people are afraid to be wrong though. It's just a natural instinct in life. If we practice making choices and failing in the game, perhaps we can use it to work on it better in real life as well.

That's why I've been enjoying the game. I can see practical skills I can use in real life.

Exactly. Especially in the beginning where it's all guesses. Unless, like poor Moonglow, a mess up happens.

Later in the game it's a bit more deducing and teamwork. Scum is a team, but town still, for the most part, play as individuals. That's the only real lesson to be learned as far as playing the game goes. That was what sameech was trying to explain. Still don't understand his meltdown :(

I agree.....some are acting as if this is a real life lynching.... I know we all want to make sure we make the right decision, but damn, over scrutinizing it just makes you more frustrated.

Use your best judgment, if we make a mistake so be it, we're learning.

So far I've learned that I'm not very good at figuring it out, but I'm giving it my best. If that makes me suspicious, so be it, but damn, just vote.

To be fair, no one is really good at figuring out. We are all guessing. We are right sometimes. We are wrong other times.

Most people are afraid to be wrong though. It's just a natural instinct in life. If we practice making choices and failing in the game, perhaps we can use it to work on it better in real life as well.

That's why I've been enjoying the game. I can see practical skills I can use in real life.

Exactly. Especially in the beginning where it's all guesses. Unless, like poor Moonglow, a mess up happens.

Later in the game it's a bit more deducing and teamwork. Scum is a team, but town still, for the most part, play as individuals. That's the only real lesson to be learned as far as playing the game goes. That was what sameech was trying to explain. Still don't understand his meltdown :(

I think his meltdown came due to him being overrated by several people and then being lynched immediately. The ego takes a beating and the anger comes out. I've been angry when I've been the object of suspicion because I can't believe they can't see that I'm telling the truth. What I've learned is that what you say makes you either suspicious or safe....so I guess learning how to measure your words is big in this game, both for Town and Mafia.

Two things he mentioned that is absolutely true. Silence and town not working together is frustrating. I've seen both here and it is very difficult to play later in the game when people make comments like "I never agree'd to that" or "you know we aren't here 24/7 and when we are here we aren't going to be paying attention to what you are saying anyway" Hey, that's a great strategy for scum but if you are town playing that way, it is VERY frustrating. And if you come in and say "I got nothing" and then don't say anything else for days or if you make one comment and disappear or if you hardly post at all, yep, that makes it all the more difficult-unless you are scum, I don't get that at all. If that kind of attitude continues in the games, I will be bowing out. You have to play. You don't have to spend a ton of time here, but you have to play. Some of you are likely getting frustrated at me for pushing this and that's fine. If we shorten the days under these conditions, I see many mis-lynches or no-lynches and even more frustration in the future. This probably should be in the game right now but this is general for future game play so if you are going to delete it Wake, please let me copy it and put it in the game first. Thanks

Never mind. I'll put it there also.

Last edited:
Two things he mentioned that is absolutely true. Silence and town not working together is frustrating. I've seen both here and it is very difficult to play later in the game when people make comments like "I never agree'd to that" or "you know we aren't here 24/7 and when we are here we aren't going to be paying attention to what you are saying anyway" Hey, that's a great strategy for scum but if you are town playing that way, it is VERY frustrating. And if you come in and say "I got nothing" and then don't say anything else for days or if you make one comment and disappear or if you hardly post at all, yep, that makes it all the more difficult-unless you are scum, I don't get that at all. If that kind of attitude continues in the games, I will be bowing out. You have to play. You don't have to spend a ton of time here, but you have to play. Some of you are likely getting frustrated at me for pushing this and that's fine. If we shorten the days under these conditions, I see many mis-lynches or no-lynches and even more frustration in the future. This probably should be in the game right now but this is general for future game play so if you are going to delete it Wake, please let me copy it and put it in the game first. Thanks

Otherwise, just don't join the game. Easy peasy

It is true that Scum thrives when Town is inactive.

I know I am enjoying the games. They have been a great stress relief for me because work is even more frustrating than this game is. :lol:

I would definitely like to see people work more together. I also hope that people who join the game find a way to post a couple of times a day. I understand everyone is busy. My thoughts are if you are so busy IRL you can't check in to the game a couple of times a day or more maybe you should wait until you are less busy. Not saying anyone has to live on the board to play though.

I know I am enjoying the games. They have been a great stress relief for me because work is even more frustrating than this game is. :lol:

I would definitely like to see people work more together. I also hope that people who join the game find a way to post a couple of times a day. I understand everyone is busy. My thoughts are if you are so busy IRL you can't check in to the game a couple of times a day or more maybe you should wait until you are less busy. Not saying anyone has to live on the board to play though.

Shoot and I bought a tent for the next game.

As a generic rule applicable to most games, learning to adapt to and learn new strategies as circumstances evolve serve players better in the end than sticking to one set path from beginning to end in every game. Everybody will have their own angle on things. Lulls create opportunities to review old information, form new strategies, analyze game dynamics, etc. If you think it is frustrating now, wait until you play a complex closed game with fluidity designed into the set up if you allow yourself to become too dependent on talk and word parsing, or trying to trick the truth out of people in the form of slip ups. It is a flaw in most people's chess games--they become too dependent on a couple pieces and never learn to play well with the others individually or in combinations.

(For whatever it is worth. I am a quitter, jerk, prick, meltdowning whatever)

Last edited:

As a generic rule applicable to most games, learning to adapt to and learn new strategies as circumstances evolve serve players better in the end than sticking to one set path from beginning to end in every game. Everybody will have their own angle on things. Lulls create opportunities to review old information, form new strategies, analyze game dynamics, etc. If you think it is frustrating now, wait until you play a complex closed game with fluidity designed into the set up if you allow yourself to become too dependent on talk and word parsing, or trying to trick the truth out of people in the form of slip ups. It is a flaw in most people's chess games--they become too dependent on a couple pieces and never learn to play well with the others individually or in combinations.

Nah, you aren't a jerk. I'm very open to listening to what you have to say. I'm learning the game and maybe I am being too impatient. A person who is never willing to listen or be flexible isn't really doing themselves any favors in a game like this. It's weird because I can go fishing for hours or deal with a 5 year old and never lost patience. I get to Day 4 and I've about had it already. It's not the lulls that bug me so much as the lack of play I am seeing. Anyway, thanks for your input. I'd be happy to play with you any time.

I do have experience, but I too am susceptible to getting mad. No, flying off my damned rocker angry. :lol::D

How the game goes is directly up to the playerbase. When at MS.net there'd be some people I quite liked playing with, and certain players that just drove me nuts. How you play the game and navigate through different personalities is up to your people skills. Persuasion, flattery, likeability, and charm are extremely powerful weapons in your arsenal, among others. Get good in these aspects, and you'll hold more sway over other players.

It's a game not just of analysis and deceit, but of influence.

Nah, you're cool. You took one for Mebelle, but it still doesn't look good for her

I've played werwolf game many times, but never saw the kind of tension we get here and you guys describe.

Maybe it's the idea of killing people that makes it more stressful. :dunno:

If it were "you walk into the other room," instead of "you get your neck broken," it'd probably be different. :D

Nah, you aren't a jerk. I'm very open to listening to what you have to say. I'm learning the game and maybe I am being too impatient. A person who is never willing to listen or be flexible isn't really doing themselves any favors in a game like this. It's weird because I can go fishing for hours or deal with a 5 year old and never lost patience. I get to Day 4 and I've about had it already. It's not the lulls that bug me so much as the lack of play I am seeing. Anyway, thanks for your input. I'd be happy to play with you any time.

You are not being too impatient I am sure (well maybe a little). I have never been in a game without some lurkers. Take a break, drink a beer, crochet some socks or whatever it is you do, maybe think big picture about the game if you have to think about it at all, and let someone else do the heavy lifting. The game does drag on too long when people use the deadline as a crutch not to do anything until the last day, but we all live in different places, have different things going on in our lives, so getting that many people together in a short duration game can be a challenge. Town can't lose and ruin my perfect record :)smiliehug:)

I could go as short as 4 or 5 days. And a 24-hour night.

I'm going to tell you guys something I did as Jailer. Before we went to night I PM'd Wake with my target. Was I cheating? No.

There were crazy bad storms going on at the time. I'd already had my internet provider shut down the week before from a nasty lightning strike, plus the power here is iffy in any big storm. So, just in case the storms predicted for Night 1 killed my internets, I told Wake early.

I can't recall what the weather was like Night 2, and Night 3 was non-stormy, so it didn't matter, I sent the PM during the Night.

So, a question - is it okay for Protectors and any other non-Scum roleplayers to PM their choices of action in advance?

Last edited:
I could go as short as 4 or 5 days. And a 24-hour night.

I'm going to tell you guys something I did as Jailer. Before we went to night I PM'd Wake with my target. Was I cheating? No.

There were crazy bad storms going on at the time. I'd already had my internet provider shut down the week before from a nasty lightning strike, plus the power here is iffy in any big storm. So, just in case the storms predicted for Night 1 killed my internets, I told Wake early.

I can't recall what the weather was like Night 2, and Night 3 was non-stormy, so it didn't matter, I sent the PM during the Night.

So, a question - is it okay for Protectors and any other non-Scum roleplayers to PM their choices of action in advance?

I have done it in games on other sites when I wasn't going to be around due to vacation, RW stuff, and the mods took them. I also did it with alternate target in case the person I targeted was lynched. This is a bad time of year for games since people vacation on different schedules.

Alright, we're inching closer and closer towards the next saga. To be sure, here's a current list of the next players in that game:

AyeCantSeeYou
TemplarKormac
Wolfsister77
CafeAuLait
MeBelle60
Moonglow
Grandma
manifold
tn5421
Shaitra
Mertex
RosieS
FA_Q2
Luissa
ZZZX
R.D.

If you don't think you can play, please let me know. I'm going to run this one simpler than the 2nd. When it comes to rules clarification et al, I'll include them in the bottom of each post count, instead of editing posts or commenting in-thread. I want my influence in the game to be brief and limited only to VCs and Death Scenes. The less I have to post in the game, the better; I would rather let the personality dynamics work themselves out.

Flavor-wise, this story's gonna be one long horror movie. I'm picking out the scariest monsters and villains out there, and the best and scariest horror movie trailers I can find. All of this themed stuff will have no actual bearing on our game; it just makes things more interesting. :D

As with the current game, I aim to add a lengthy review post in-thread once each game commences. I'll provide my own humble opinions on things and pull back the curtains to reveal gears and issues happening in the background. This includes mistakes, and my interventions in order to make each subsequent game go even more smoothly. I want the game to be convenient and enjoyable for you, so on my end I'm open to all suggestions and advice in order to make it better and funner for you guys.

On the issue of Power Roles, we're going to be delving into more of them, and more peeps are going to have a taste of the power. However, it won't be unlimited, like the PRs in our current game. This is called Diffusion of Power. Instead of giving 4 Townies these abilities that can be used indefinitely, they're instead given a limit. The doctor can only protect twice in the game. A Tracker can only use her ability three times, etc. On the flip side, however, a lot more people are going to have neat and powerful abilities. Because it'll be limited, you'll have to wisely choose when to use your abilities.

Here are the list of PRs that may be used:

As for the way this game will go, players will be given more roles, but they'll be limited. This will give more players a taste of night action madness. We'll go with 2 main factions, again; that's easiest for newer players.

Here's a more refined list of possible roles:

2-Shot Town Cop ~ You can inspect another player to learn their alignment. This may only be used twice during the game, once a Night.

2-Shot Doctor ~ You can protect other players from kills. Each protection stops one kill, and lasts for one night. This may only be used twice during the game, once a Night.

1-Shot Jailkeeper (2nd Night) ~ You may roleblock and protect one player from death during the Night. This can only be used once during this game. May only be used during Night 2.

3-Shot Watcher ~ You can watch another player. You will be told if that player used an ability. Twice per game.

1-Shot Roleblocker (3rd Night) ~ You can block another player's action each night. You are immune to roleblocks. May be either Town or Scum. Ability may only be used Night 3.

1-Shot Vigilante (4th Night) ~ You may target and attempt to kill one player. Once per game, and only during Night 4.

2-Shot Tracker ~ You can track another player. You will be told who that player targeted, if any. Twice per game.

2-Shot Hider ~ You may hide behind someone else during the Night. This makes you immune to targeting. If you hide behind Scum you die. If the person you're hiding behind is targeted, that ability/kill will affect you as well. Twice per game.

Town/Scum Interrogator ~ During the Night you may PM the host the name of one player. I'll create a QuickTopic thread and send it to both the Interrogator and target, and the Interrogator will attempt to ask questions/discuss innocence with the target. As nature would have it, the Interrogator could be evil, too.

Town/Scum Hexer (Hex Words: ___, ___, ___) ~ The Hexer may hex one player with three specific words of the host's choosing, and PMs the host the name of one player each Day. The host will PM the target and tell that person he or she must use at least one of those specific words in each post during that specific Day, and that all three must be used at least once. If the target fails to do so in a post three times during that Day, a strike is given to that player by the host. Three strikes means he or she dies. A strike will be given to the Hexer's target if he or she mentions he or she has been hexed, or directly states there is one in the game. Also, the three words given to you must be used in your posts, too, so have fun with it. A player who has been hexed during Day 1 cannot be given a strike if not targeted by that same Hexer during Day 2. There may be multiple Hexers.

Chicken-Loving Hippie ~ The Chicken-Loving Hippie will target 2 or 3 players each Night, and toss a drumstick at them from the shadows. This has no effect, besides thwarting hunger. Town/Scum.

Neighbors ~ At the beginning of the game a certain number of players will be given a link to a QT thread. They will be allowed to talk during both the Day and the Night. Neighbors may be of any alignment. There may also be multiple neighborhoods.

2-Shot Mafia Frame Artist ~ You can frame another player during the night. Inspections on that player will give a 'mafia' result. Twice per game.

Mafia Godfather ~ Inspections on you will give a result of "Innocent."

One-Shot Redirecter ~ You can redirect another player's ability to target another player. Your ability can only be used once. Once per game. Mafia/Scum.

Any of these roles may be used. There may also be additional roles in our game that aren't on the list. Because this game is a Semi-Closed Setup, you'll have an understanding of what might be showing up at the party, but you'll never know for sure. It is possible that there could be duplicate Roles in this game, which will add yet another layer to the game. Besides the Mafia-aligned roles, any of these roles can be Town or Scum. The 2-Shot Hider, for example, may be Town or Scum.

So, yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. No scenarios being brought into the game, either. Just simple, basic Mafia. I can tell you there will be only two factions in the 3rd game: Town and one Scum team. How MANY members in that Scum team I will keep secret. If there are Neighbors in this game, there may be multiple neighborhoods, and anyone in them can be Town or Scum.

Sameech, Rat, SB, dblack, everyone: you are more than welcome to come on in and play with us. Everyone is welcome to play. Anyone can be Scum, too. Just because you were Scum in this game doesn't mean you can't be Scum in the next, and vice versa for Townies. :badgrin:

I'm going to improve on this next game, guys. I want you to have some good fun. :D:smiliehug:

[MENTION]AyeCantSeeYou[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43268]TemplarKormac[/MENTION]
[MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION]
[MENTION=854]Avatar4321[/MENTION]
[MENTION]CafeAuLait[/MENTION]
[MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30820]Moonglow[/MENTION]
[MENTION=34688]Grandma[/MENTION]
[MENTION=8806]manifold[/MENTION]
[MENTION=49365]tn5421[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39075]Shaitra[/MENTION]
[MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION]
[MENTION=39688]RosieS[/MENTION]
[MENTION=21905]FA_Q2[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11865]Luissa[/MENTION]
[MENTION=49445]ZZZX[/MENTION]
[MENTION=27986]R.D.[/MENTION]

[MENTION=48997]sameech[/MENTION]
[MENTION=23063]Rat in the Hat[/MENTION]
[MENTION=11703]strollingbones[/MENTION]
[MENTION=30065]dblack[/MENTION]

Last edited:
cant wait. I have read the ENTIRE game 2 thread and followed the game as it progresses. Really frustrating that I cant comment and share my ideas. Cant wait to be able to :D

I can't wait. :D

Whenever games end, they become open for everyone to talk on.

Forum List

Back