Sign up if you want to call a Convention of States to impose fiscal limitations on pig-like Congress

justaschmuck9

Platinum Member
Aug 1, 2022

This needs to be done..

I'm not sure this includes term limits (just checked: it does :) ) but... Charles Grassley is the only one in Congress I don't have a problem with vis a vis how long he 's been there. . He's been there 40 years, I believe. But still, I think we need term limits going forward.. can't pick and choose who does term limits and who does not..

This needs to be done..

I'm not sure this includes term limits (just checked: it does :) ) but... Charles Grassley is the only one in Congress I don't have a problem with vis a vis how long he 's been there. . He's been there 40 years, I believe. But still, I think we need term limits going forward.. can't pick and choose who does term limits and who does not..
OK. how do you do that? You don't know, do you?

"Sign up if you want to call a Convention of States to impose fiscal limitations on pig-like Congress"

Just FYI...

If the 2/3rds of States Legislatures were to transmit to Congress applications to call a Constitutional Convention, there is no mechanism for that Convention to be limited. Once seated they could approve any amendment they desire:
  • Changing the Presidents term to a single 6-year, non renewable position? On the table.
  • Balance Budget Amendment? On the table
  • Abortion restriction (or abortion right)? On the table.
  • Gun control? On the table.
  • Same-sex Marriage? On the table.
Watch what you ask for, you might not like what you get.

(Then of if you get the 34 State Legislatures to call for the Convention, you would still need 38 states for the required 3/4 ratification.)

WW

This needs to be done..

Nope. If a Constitutional Convention is called they can simply eliminate every civil right that they don't like. No 1st, 2nd, 4th etc. Amendments any longer.

It is suicide to call for one.

States can’t agree on anything any more than Congress can

In the context of the Constitutional requirements ... it's much easier to gather 2/3's of each house of Congress, and then 3/4's the States and pass an amendment the normal way ...

But 2/3's of each house of Congress can pass a law requiring a balanced budget ... or just pass a balanced budget ...

We elect shit for legislators ... we get shit for government ... they don't teach this in Middle School anymore? ...

no it isn't. 2/3 have t o pass an amendment

2/3!

1661038254866.png

Not correct. It is not "2/3 have t o pass an amendment".

2/3rds of State Legislatures are required to apply to Congress for Congress then to call a Constitutional Convention into existence. It says nothing about the requirements for such a Convention to pass amendments out for ratification. That would be determine by the Convention once it meets and established their rules. It could be a simple majority (50%+1), it could be 2/3rds, it could be 3/5ths, it could be 3/4rs.

Once passed by the Convention, then it goes to Congress who gets to choose a method of ratification. Be it either 3/4 of State Legislatures or 3/4 of Conventions in the states.

WW

A Convention REWRITES the Constitution my misguided friend.

A convention under Article V can only propose amendments ...

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

emphasis mine

A convention under Article V can only propose amendments ...

"The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate."

emphasis mine

Uh, yeah. How does that invalidate what I just said? Get enough people to vote for it and poof, no more Bill of Rights.

You think you are only going to have Constitutionalists on the panel?

View attachment 685187

Not correct. It is not "2/3 have t o pass an amendment".

2/3rds of State Legislatures are required to apply to Congress for Congress then to call a Constitutional Convention into existence. It says nothing about the requirements for such a Convention to pass amendments out for ratification. That would be determine by the Convention once it meets and established their rules. It could be a simple majority (50%+1), it could be 2/3rds, it could be 3/5ths, it could be 3/4rs.

Once passed by the Convention, then it goes to Congress who gets to choose a method of ratification. Be it either 3/4 of State Legislatures or 3/4 of Conventions in the states.

WW

You think you can get 33 States to agree on anything?

This needs to be done..

In

Forum List

Back