Shutting Down Debate and Criticism

It's reality: Trump won, and the GOP kept the House and the Senate. I accept it. The foundation of our republic requires the peaceful transition of valid authority.

But that doesn't mean the the President-elect has carte blanche to institute policies and apoint government officials as though over half the American electorate doesn't exist without raising the concerns and criticisms of those who more skeptically view his future administration.

So, instead of conservatives and Trump supporters engaging with these concerns and criticisms with reason and argument many shut down any debate with "We won. You lost. Sit down and shut up."

Now it may very well be true that some liberals responded similarly to concerns and criticism aimed at the Obama administration in late 2008 into 2009, but if conservatives are supposed to be principled and represent the party of personal responsibility, maturity, and reason then such a rejection of any possibility of supporting conservative policies seems counter to principled conservativism.

I don't include all conservatives in this observation. Notably Boss Paulie martybegan Uncensored2008. and others who have voiced concerns about potential Trump policies and appointees.

Excluding liberals from debate is not only expanding the rifts caused by the political polarization that has occurred over the last 30 years, especially during this scorched-earth campaign but is un-American and childish.

In the long term it fails to win over converts to conservative principles. The GOP didn't win by a landslide, especially Trump and he will face another challenge to his administration in 2020. If his policies are so extreme as to energize the left and push moderates to vote Democrat, he will be a one term POTUS.

In 2009 the GOP vowed to obstruct Obama. The Democrats have made it clear they are willing to work with Trump and the Republicans. Even Trump in his victory speech was magnanimous and accepted victory with equanimity.

Is this unwillingness to debate because conservatives are also doubtful of the very establishment trend in Trump's policy statements and appointments as President-elect that seem contrary to the non-politician outsider who campaigned to shake up the status quo and institute real change in DC?

President elect Trump vowed to be the president of all the people, including you. So your voice and opinions will be considered not dismissed out of hand. Now that said be realistic, Trump ran on a platform of campaign promises he's not going to adopt a Hillary position on an issue just because you favor her position over his. But as best as he can he will try to represent all the people.

Of course I don't expect the Trump administration to promote the liberal agenda. But he is signaling a very extreme rightwing agenda. I don't mean Obamacare, immigration or SCOTUS appointees; I mean Sessions as AG, Mnuchin as Treasury Secretary, Price as HHS Secretary, privatizing SS, Medicare/medicaid, opening up private land to resource exploitation, drilling in protected lands like ANWR, and totally denying concerns over accelerated global warming.

The OP's author strikes truth into the very middle of the political divide, and for the most part so far, gets piled on for not being part of the tribe on the Right and therefore gets the shit from the monkeys of that collective thrown at him for having the temerity of speaking logically with reason. So fucking typical and Pavlovian!
Or maybe people aren't going to try and kick the football anymore.

lucy-football1.jpg

The message is clear, "sit down and shut up", at least until the president elect is sworn in. It should be noted that after his election with a majority in the Senate and House Barry Hussein told the Republican party "I won and it's my way or the highway" and Republicans were literally locked out of debates about Obamacare. Revenge is sweet. and Barry looks small and vindictive compared to Trump.
He looks small and vindictive next to freaking Nixon.

The message is clear, "sit down and shut up", at least until the president elect is sworn in. It should be noted that after his election with a majority in the Senate and House Barry Hussein told the Republican party "I won and it's my way or the highway" and Republicans were literally locked out of debates about Obamacare. Revenge is sweet. and Barry looks small and vindictive compared to Trump.

But is revenge principled? Is it high-minded? Does it help the conservative cause?

"So, instead of conservatives and Trump supporters engaging with these concerns and criticisms with reason and argument many shut down any debate with "We won. You lost. Sit down and shut up."

(snip)

Excluding liberals from debate is not only expanding the rifts caused by the political polarization that has occurred over the last 30 years, especially during this scorched-earth campaign but is un-American and childish."

Were you even paying attention during the first years of the current regime?

As I acknowledged in the OP.
Stupid ass fucking loser

It's reality: Trump won, and the GOP kept the House and the Senate. I accept it. The foundation of our republic requires the peaceful transition of valid authority.

But that doesn't mean the the President-elect has carte blanche to institute policies and apoint government officials as though over half the American electorate doesn't exist without raising the concerns and criticisms of those who more skeptically view his future administration.

So, instead of conservatives and Trump supporters engaging with these concerns and criticisms with reason and argument many shut down any debate with "We won. You lost. Sit down and shut up."

Now it may very well be true that some liberals responded similarly to concerns and criticism aimed at the Obama administration in late 2008 into 2009, but if conservatives are supposed to be principled and represent the party of personal responsibility, maturity, and reason then such a rejection of any possibility of supporting conservative policies seems counter to principled conservativism.

I don't include all conservatives in this observation. Notably Boss Paulie martybegan Uncensored2008. and others who have voiced concerns about potential Trump policies and appointees.

Excluding liberals from debate is not only expanding the rifts caused by the political polarization that has occurred over the last 30 years, especially during this scorched-earth campaign but is un-American and childish.

In the long term it fails to win over converts to conservative principles. The GOP didn't win by a landslide, especially Trump and he will face another challenge to his administration in 2020. If his policies are so extreme as to energize the left and push moderates to vote Democrat, he will be a one term POTUS.

In 2009 the GOP vowed to obstruct Obama. The Democrats have made it clear they are willing to work with Trump and the Republicans. Even Trump in his victory speech was magnanimous and accepted victory with equanimity.

Is this unwillingness to debate because conservatives are also doubtful of the very establishment trend in Trump's policy statements and appointments as President-elect that seem contrary to the non-politician outsider who campaigned to shake up the status quo and institute real change in DC?

President elect Trump vowed to be the president of all the people, including you. So your voice and opinions will be considered not dismissed out of hand. Now that said be realistic, Trump ran on a platform of campaign promises he's not going to adopt a Hillary position on an issue just because you favor her position over his. But as best as he can he will try to represent all the people.

Of course I don't expect the Trump administration to promote the liberal agenda. But he is signaling a very extreme rightwing agenda. I don't mean Obamacare, immigration or SCOTUS appointees; I mean Sessions as AG, Mnuchin as Treasury Secretary, Price as HHS Secretary, privatizing SS, Medicare/medicaid, opening up private land to resource exploitation, drilling in protected lands like ANWR, and totally denying concerns over accelerated global warming.

(sigh) okay name one "extreme" rightwing agenda item. Secure the borders, deport illegal bad guys, keep jobs in America, bring jobs and money back to America from other countries, kill terrorist fuckers who are running around cutting peoples heads off. None of that sounds "extreme" to me.

"So, instead of conservatives and Trump supporters engaging with these concerns and criticisms with reason and argument many shut down any debate with "We won. You lost. Sit down and shut up."

Exactly my thinking on the subject. Didn't have to be that way but what goes around comes around. Whining about it is not likely to help much but feel free.

Sounds like what Republicans were told when Obama took office. We won so shut up. I remember that.

Please read the entire OP.

Your OP 'sucks balls'. Democraps haven't been willing to compromise since 'Hector was a pup'..........and that was a long, long time ago, in a faraway galaxy.

We all remember Obama telling Republicans "I won, just sit in the back and don't do a lot of talking" its like these liberals memories wipe every 10 days. Trump would be fully justified in telling the left to fuck off.

I am no longer willing to engage in *debate* with the left because the left doesn't engage in *debate*. They engage in spreading propaganda, lies and fear mongering. They change the subject when the *debate* isn't going their way, and call people racists, and their commentary "hate speech" if it is critical of their own actions or words. They seek to shut down free speech, and only seek *compromise* when they have lost, decisively.

As long as the left clings to the 'politics of difference', they will continue to lose decisively. That's the good news.

But he is signaling a very extreme rightwing agenda. I don't mean Obamacare, immigration or SCOTUS appointees; I mean Sessions as AG, Mnuchin as Treasury Secretary, Price as HHS Secretary, privatizing SS, Medicare/medicaid, opening up private land to resource exploitation, drilling in protected lands like ANWR, and totally denying concerns over accelerated global warming.
Elections have consequences. Deal with it.

You had your 8 year run -- running over the average American over the twisted idiotology of the coasts.

We KNOW you'll do everything in your power to destroy President Trump and any progress we make in fixing the mess you guys made of the country.

Just deal with it. WE won.

(sigh) okay name one "extreme" rightwing agenda item. Secure the borders, deport illegal bad guys, keep jobs in America, bring jobs and money back to America from other countries, kill terrorist fuckers who are running around cutting peoples heads off. None of that sounds "extreme" to me.

I didn't list any of those as extreme. I did list those which I do perceive to be extremely rightwing. Read my entire response.

Sounds like what Republicans were told when Obama took office. We won so shut up. I remember that.

Your OP 'sucks balls'. Democraps haven't been willing to compromise since 'Hector was a pup'..........and that was a long, long time ago, in a faraway galaxy.

We all remember Obama telling Republicans "I won, just sit in the back and don't do a lot of talking" its like these liberals memories wipe every 10 days. Trump would be fully justified in telling the left to fuck off.

Indeed he should, as they do not seek any iota of unity.

He'd be fully justified in starting to load up the helicopters.

I didn't list any of those as extreme. I did list those which I do perceive to be extremely rightwing. Read my entire response.

I don't have time to read your manifesto, list the top 2 in 2 lines or less otherwise I'll move on.

It was read. And you should be expelled until your ilk proves different!

Indeed he should, as they do not seek any iota of unity.

Here's what's going to happen. Trump will attempt to be the president of all the people and work with Dems. Dem's will take a giant shit on him. Trump will then blow a gasket and tell the Dem's to go fuck themselves and get it done without them.

Forum List

Back