“Shovel Ready Jobs”

most of the construction jobs are held by hispanics.. a lot of them illegal.. they work,, they work hard,, they don't pay taxes,, they send their money to mexico and they vote democrat... everybody is happy.. stimulus money make mexico happy! :clap2:

they all vote? got any proof of that? how many illegals have been caught voting?

I agree. The construction industry is better than it once was and their are more "trained" workers. But, lets face facts, the majority of people on any construction site are grunts. Also, a lot of construction companies aren't even hiring labor jobs anymore. They go to day labor companies that offer minimum wage (or less than a living wage) and no benefits to the employee whatsoever.

You can thank the 20 million illegal aliens in this country for that.

Better, you can thank the millions of citizens unwilling to get a little dirty for that. They are filling a vacuum that shouldn't exist, if there wasn't a vacuum then they wouldn't benefit from being here so much (after we get rid of the other appealing factors of course).

You drank the kool aid

most of the construction jobs are held by hispanics.. a lot of them illegal.. they work,, they work hard,, they don't pay taxes,, they send their money to mexico and they vote democrat... everybody is happy.. stimulus money make mexico happy! :clap2:

they all vote? got any proof of that? how many illegals have been caught voting?

ever hear of identity theft?? lol dead people vote,, now put your bead back where the moon don't shine..

Why Shovel-Ready Infrastructure is Wrong (Right Now)

By Erik Sofge

Erik L. Sofge
eric_sofge.jpg

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Astoria, New York, USA
New York, New York, USA
Purchase, New York, USA

male, 31 yrs

Life:
Work: Associate Editor, Contributing Editor, Popular Mechanics

School: Literature/creative Writing, Attended 1994 - 1998, State University Of New York - College At Purchase

I have said for many years that Americans have lost a lot of work ethic, we shipped to many labor jobs to other countries (often in the guise of "saving the planet") and now suddenly it's wrong to dig in and do hard work. The labor jobs are an important part of a countries strength, but we forgot that. When we did have a ton of those jobs here, before the environuts and greedy folk moved all the plants out of the country, we were strong enough to survive any financial crisis. The biggest depression on record and in spite of all the bad things that happened here, we still prevailed. Now, we're screwed.

Oh geez, don't get me started on work ethic.
Oops, too late, you already did.
I grew up watching my dad go to work everyday, he never once took a bogus 'sick day', the man didn't know the meaning of slacker. It's a work ethic I learned and still carry with me today. At my last job, in 14 years, I called in sick 3 times. I never took a bogus 'sick day'.
At my current job, I work in IT, I use a computer all day long, and I never fuck off on the internet. A lot of the under 30 crowd that I work with think it's ok to spend time screwing off on the internet during working hours. My oldest daughter works in IT also, she spends all day working on a computer. She told me it just amazes her how many of her coworkers spend time screwing off on the internet during working hours. Those same coworkers of hers can't seem to understand why she got a promotion and fat raise after only 6 months on the job. Hey dipshits, it's because she has a good work ethic, and actually works while she is at work. Like my father before me, I can at least say I instilled a strong work ethic in my children. And that will get them a lot further in their chosen careers than butt-smooching the boss will.

Now, about shipping those jobs overseas. You ever been to a major shipping port? I have. I never once saw a container labeled "JOBS" that was being loaded on a ship and sent elsewhere. Jobs aren't shipped overseas. Jobs are removed via numerous methods which include (but are not limited to) crappy work ethics (as discussed above), stupid government regulation, stupid government laws, over-priced labor and taxes. But you know what, it's damn expensive to transport product from overseas. That's why 70% of Toyota cars sold in the US are built in the US. Have you ever read a news article about the Japanese complaining about their jobs (building Toyota's) being exported to the US?
Almost everybody that complains that American jobs are being shipped overseas seems to forget that Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes Benz, Hyundai, Honda all have manufacturing plants in the USA. And those are just the auto companies.

By Erik Sofge

Erik L. Sofge
eric_sofge.jpg

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Astoria, New York, USA
New York, New York, USA
Purchase, New York, USA

male, 31 yrs

Life:

School: Literature/creative Writing, Attended 1994 - 1998, State University Of New York - College At Purchase

Another "attack the author when you can't attack the text" post. Imagine that!

Last edited:
At my current job, I work in IT, I use a computer all day long, and I never fuck off on the internet. A lot of the under 30 crowd that I work with think it's ok to spend time screwing off on the internet during working hours.

Here's a cure...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRkiouh5NEI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRkiouh5NEI[/ame]

I agree. The construction industry is better than it once was and their are more "trained" workers. But, lets face facts, the majority of people on any construction site are grunts. Also, a lot of construction companies aren't even hiring labor jobs anymore. They go to day labor companies that offer minimum wage (or less than a living wage) and no benefits to the employee whatsoever.

You can thank the 20 million illegal aliens in this country for that.

Better, you can thank the millions of citizens unwilling to get a little dirty for that. They are filling a vacuum that shouldn't exist, if there wasn't a vacuum then they wouldn't benefit from being here so much (after we get rid of the other appealing factors of course).

I can't quite go along with that KK. I've never had a "sit down" job in my entire life. I've always worked with my hands, and I've had some hard, dirty jobs, like the Railroad. They redid the tracks in SW Wisconsin and I worked on QC following the Tie Gang, and every morning, and I mean EVERY morning, people would show up looking for a job. Dozens. In fact I've never had a construction job where people WEREN'T looking for work. So there's no way you're going to convince me that we NEED illegal aliens to work construction because Americans won't. That's just not true.

It would be awfully hard to see reality by simply looking at life through a monitor. For anyone that has not worked in the construction field to spout diatribe on the what the average construction worker is like is utter crap.

If I hear the term “Shovel Ready Jobs” one more time, I think I’m going to loose it. Who the hell wants a job that includes shoveling or physical labor for that matter??? Have you ever been on a construction jobsite? Most of the workers like androids powered by alcohol, drugs, ignorance, or a combination thereof, with few exceptions. Their knowledge is limited to the repetitiveness of the tasks they’re taught to perform. Those tasks are invariably dictated to them by foremen who are little more than liaisons between an engineering company and the robots performing the actual construction tasks.

So who are all these people that are going to fill these “shovel ready jobs” that are going to save the country and what are we going to do with them when the job is done or the money runs out?

This has to be the biggest joke perpetrated on the American people since the 16th amendment was passed.

You need to slow your roll here a bit, junior. I'm a commercial electrician and it involves a LOT of digging. How do you think that power gets from the line to the building? The Force?

With few exceptions, most of us are powered by the desire to do the job and do it right. Now if you think you can android your way into running 300 feet of 4" condiut x 4, 6 feet down and encase in concrete to a slab that hasn't been poured yet AND get it inside a wall that isn't built yet, I've got a job for you.

Then you only have to pull the wire feeders into a panel and hook them up correctly so you don't blow the building up the second you turn the power on and if you want to do that powered by drugs, alcohol, ignorance or any combination thereof I GUARANTEE your ass a SHORT career.

The biggest joke is your ignorant post. You don't know what you're talking about.

I have said for many years that Americans have lost a lot of work ethic, we shipped to many labor jobs to other countries (often in the guise of "saving the planet") and now suddenly it's wrong to dig in and do hard work. The labor jobs are an important part of a countries strength, but we forgot that. When we did have a ton of those jobs here, before the environuts and greedy folk moved all the plants out of the country, we were strong enough to survive any financial crisis. The biggest depression on record and in spite of all the bad things that happened here, we still prevailed. Now, we're screwed.

I grew up watching my dad go to work everyday, he never once took a bogus 'sick day', the man didn't know the meaning of slacker. It's a work ethic I learned and still carry with me today. At my last job, in 14 years, I called in sick 3 times. I never took a bogus 'sick day'.
At my current job, I work in IT, I use a computer all day long, and I never fuck off on the internet. A lot of the under 30 crowd that I work with think it's ok to spend time screwing off on the internet during working hours. My oldest daughter works in IT also, she spends all day working on a computer. She told me it just amazes her how many of her coworkers spend time screwing off on the internet during working hours. Those same coworkers of hers can't seem to understand why she got a promotion and fat raise after only 6 months on the job. Hey dipshits, it's because she has a good work ethic, and actually works while she is at work. Like my father before me, I can at least say I instilled a strong work ethic in my children. And that will get them a lot further in their chosen careers than butt-smooching the boss will.

Now, about shipping those jobs overseas. You ever been to a major shipping port? I have. I never once saw a container labeled "JOBS" that was being loaded on a ship and sent elsewhere. Jobs aren't shipped overseas. Jobs are removed via numerous methods which include (but are not limited to) crappy work ethics (as discussed above), stupid government regulation, stupid government laws, over-priced labor and taxes. But you know what, it's damn expensive to transport product from overseas. That's why 70% of Toyota cars sold in the US are built in the US. Have you ever read a news article about the Japanese complaining about their jobs (building Toyota's) being exported to the US?
Almost everybody that complains that American jobs are being shipped overseas seems to forget that Toyota, Nissan, Mercedes Benz, Hyundai, Honda all have manufacturing plants in the USA. And those are just the auto companies.

I use "jobs shipped over seas" as a euphemism so :razz:

But I hear you. My father was a mechanic by trade, but later when those jobs dried up he got a "custodial engineer" job (fancy janitor). He didn't complain about it, didn't whine and whimper that he had to take a pay cut and clean toilets, he just did it, and did the best he can do until the job market he liked got better. Now, when people lose one job they just sit on unemployment and whine that there are no jobs out there, when in fact there are tons of labor jobs and those who hire illegals would love to find regular legal employees willing to do the jobs instead (why risk thousands in fines when you can pay a few hundred more for the legal workers?).

my dad never was sick, by the time he left his government job and retired, he had 60 some days or more of sicktime, in which they PAID him....

I think you can only carry over half, each year if you do not use them....

must be nice working for the government....:eusa_whistle:

at the last corp I worked for, they did allow you to carry over half of your sick time, each year...

they finally changed it to "personal days", so you could use your own sicktime throughout the year, for whatever you wanted... it used to be 6 paid sick days and 2 personally holidays, which changed to just 8 personal days... added to your 10 Paid Holidays and 3 weeks vacation time....plus if needed 3 days pay for bereavment pay and 3 days pay for jury duty if needed (Gotta thank unions for these kinda benefits up here in the northeast...even though our corp had no union workers they kept up with the pay and benefits of the local unions)

Corpoprations are pretty laxed with their benefits as well...as our government is...from my experience

If I hear the term “Shovel Ready Jobs” one more time, I think I’m going to loose it. Who the hell wants a job that includes shoveling or physical labor for that matter??? Have you ever been on a construction jobsite? Most of the workers like androids powered by alcohol, drugs, ignorance, or a combination thereof, with few exceptions. Their knowledge is limited to the repetitiveness of the tasks they’re taught to perform. Those tasks are invariably dictated to them by foremen who are little more than liaisons between an engineering company and the robots performing the actual construction tasks.

So who are all these people that are going to fill these “shovel ready jobs” that are going to save the country and what are we going to do with them when the job is done or the money runs out?

This has to be the biggest joke perpetrated on the American people since the 16th amendment was passed.

You need to slow your roll here a bit, junior. I'm a commercial electrician and it involves a LOT of digging. How do you think that power gets from the line to the building? The Force?

With few exceptions, most of us are powered by the desire to do the job and do it right. Now if you think you can android your way into running 300 feet of 4" condiut x 4, 6 feet down and encase in concrete to a slab that hasn't been poured yet AND get it inside a wall that isn't built yet, I've got a job for you.

Then you only have to pull the wire feeders into a panel and hook them up correctly so you don't blow the building up the second you turn the power on and if you want to do that powered by drugs, alcohol, ignorance or any combination thereof I GUARANTEE your ass a SHORT career.

The biggest joke is your ignorant post. You don't know what you're talking about.

NoBrains is used to THIS:

US contractor in Iraq accused of electrocution deaths

Jul 11, 2008

WASHINGTON (AFP) — The biggest US military contractor in Iraq, KBR, was steeped in another scandal Friday as lawmakers, families and experts accused it of recklessly causing the electrocution deaths of US soldiers.

"While I had always been prepared to hear that one of my sons died by way of a firefight or a roadside bomb, I was dumbstruck to hear that my son was electrocuted while taking a shower in his living quarters," said Cheryl Harris, mother of army Staff Sergeant Ryan Maseth, who died in January.

Maseth's "burnt and smoldering" body was found under still-running, electrically charged water by a fellow soldier who kicked down the door of the bathroom at an army base in Baghdad, Harris told a hearing of the Senate Democratic policy committee.

KBR, a former subsidiary of the Halliburton energy firm which was once led by Vice President Dick Cheney, was contracted to maintain facilities at the base and had been informed of electrical problems in the building where Maseth died.

But, said Harris, KBR showed "extreme recklessness and a total disregard for public safety" by failing to fix the problem as well as others that have caused at least 13 electrocution deaths among soldiers and civilian contract workers in Iraq.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ggIzyaVjgrtoH9EBT4obMw3JIq4Q

One small factory in this town we live by. Yes they do have factories overseas now. They closed the factory here two months ago. It was the only factory left in this small rural town. That small sewing factory provided jobs for people here for seventy years. Rod's mom raised six children working at the factory and when she retired from that sewing factory job she started doing other type work. She worked for her daughter the painting contractor. Then she asked for a job we had and she went to work for me.

The Maytag factory that sustained Newton for 113 years closed in 2006 when it was purchased by Whirlpool. Two of the people that worked at that factory for more than ten years work with my son. The wife was offered a job to go to China to train their factory workers in China. They wanted her to take less pay and leave her family for three months to work in China. At the end of that three months for training Chinese workers she would recieve a nice bonus.

The reality is many small manufacturing jobs have gone overseas because they can make more money and the employees will do the work and live in small little cubicles provided by the employers. The corporate slave mentality has not work as well here. Wait working for the company and buying the company products at the company store went by the way side overe seventy years ago. Twenty years before I was born. Monopolistic corporates want to starve the people into going back to that and like it or else.

The Utopia regime has filled people enough shit to smother the economic growth by over fertilization here in the US with their BS lies.

It is great you and your daughters work in IT and you are happy with that. I prefer to work outside and get my hands dirty building something. Some people like working in factories. Some like farming. Some people like being salesman and others like working in offices. Regardless of how many times it is said I will that all of the American public is simply lazy and unwilling to get their hands dirty I will say bullshit. We cannot all work in a job that can be taught by a college. Sorry you cannot just simply teach anyone a natural talent of finishing concrete or operating a road grader or running any tool for that matter. You can teach them the mechanics of the operation of the tools or equipment but you can't give them those skills without them having some natural talent and abilities to go along with it. I can show you how to paint a fine oil painting but I cannot give you anything more than the concept, materials and pattern for what it takes to get the oil painting from start to finished. If you do not have some natural talent within yourself first you won't be able to do it. I can show you how to operate a D-10 but if you do not have the knack for it within you won't be able to do anything other than make gouges in the dirt with the machine. The same goes for your IT job. You may be able to give me the details of what you do but if it is not in me to understand the concept of it I will not ever be good at it. The same goes for any profession out there.

We are not machines that can be simply programed. Humans have the ability to learn most anything if it is in their hearts to learn it. That which is in their hearts to learn it part is the natural talent built within them. We don't all fit in the same box.

I see it as more of a social problem that has been lingering for years that has not been addressed. My children both make a decent living. They both have had to make those choices of what they wanted to be when they grow up on their own. Neither has a college education. Yet they both have a tremendous amount of skills. We kept them busy while they were growing up. Then again we both worked for ourselves and we had time to work with them. A lot of parents do not have that time. They depend on the schools to teach their children work skills.

Most employers have to either hire competent people or train their workforce. My children both tell me now they are grateful they got to learn so much growing up. Many children do not have that same situation. The parents work fulltime for someone else and the children come home to play on the computer or watch tv. Ours always had chores and we were always working on a project of some kind. They both were allowed to learn viable skills prior to moving out on their own.

Plus how many people out there think that you should do that work for ten bucks an hour... And LIKE IT!

By Erik Sofge

Erik L. Sofge
eric_sofge.jpg

Brooklyn, New York, USA
Astoria, New York, USA
New York, New York, USA
Purchase, New York, USA

male, 31 yrs

Life:

Another "attack the author when you can't attack the text" post. Imagine that!

NOBrains... I'm sure your author did very well in his 4 years of Literature/creative Writing.

Now, as far as the topic, I'd be happy to hazard some guesses...

Some of it is for political reasons...a big part of recovery is perception and confidence... the administration wants people to see immediate results...

Most infrastructure jobs that have made it all the way to "shovel ready" are probably jobs that are badly needed builds, rebuilds or repairs...

Although it would be nice to have only the highest impact jobs in the stimulus, the main focus is creating jobs and jump starting the economy.

The time required for a project from planning and engineering to "shovel ready" is usually YEARS, not days...

It would be chaos if more that a few major road jobs were running at the same time in one town. There are traffic routing and environmental concerns...

And it's getting tougher Gunny. The Electrician I've been helping for years is currently in school to get his Master Electrician. If he doesn't get it, in 2013 he won't be wiring anything anymore in Wisconsin. Funny thing is, I've been helping him study because I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, and this class and the code book reads more like electrical engineering that it does electrical wiring.

And it's getting tougher Gunny. The Electrician I've been helping for years is currently in school to get his Master Electrician. If he doesn't get it, in 2013 he won't be wiring anything anymore in Wisconsin. Funny thing is, I've been helping him study because I have a degree in Electrical Engineering, and this class and the code book reads more like electrical engineering that it does electrical wiring.
That is another big problem. We have people throughout the construction industry that know their job inside out yet there are those out there that think they should have to go get a college degree and learned loads of non applicable crap before they can perform that work?

And you’re full of shit. On every commercial construction job I've ever been part of, those
electricians and plumbers show up with helpers that do their digging and those guys are using labor-pools for help, as well. I'm talking about grunt LABOR, not licensed tradesmen. Shovel ready jobs, what a joke.

Last edited:

I've been on thousands of construction sites, and your characterization is not only false, it shows your stupidity...

Ditto. Good reply.

Forum List

Back