Should We Sell American Citizenship? - Michael Sandel

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBmCb7nancc]YouTube - Should We Sell American Citizenship? - Michael Sandel[/ame]

Now, this does raise some good questions.

-What is the 'meaning' of citizenship?
-What reasons are there for limiting entrance?
- How should we determine whom to let in?
-Is citizenship a right, a reward, an advantage, or something else?
----If it is a right, how can we justify denying entrance to people?
----If it is a reward, then what it is a reward for?
-Should birth = citizenship? Why or why not?

thoughts?

-What is the 'meaning' of citizenship? The privelege of having been born in a certain country
-What reasons are there for limiting entrance? To keep the population down to maintain a certain standard of living - espeically if that standard is high - How should we determine whom to let in? Whom to let in is the right of each and every country - they set the rules-Is citizenship a right, a reward, an advantage, or something else? Citizenship is what is - you are born in a certain country, that gives you the right; the reward; the advantage----If it is a right, how can we justify denying entrance to people? No justification is needed nor warranted----If it is a reward, then what it is a reward for? The reward is purely subjective
-Should birth = citizenship? Why or why not? Of course - that is the entitlement to what every country has to offer

Should we?

I don't know but it's damned certain we do sell it.

As do most countries, BTW.

Doubt me?

Go check out how instantly you can get citizenship into most nations if you're bringing huge amounts of money to invest in a business in this or other nations.

I color code so that people like you are able to follow - yikes!!! You people are touchy! And on this note I will say good-bye - it's been fun but a little boring. Adios!

If you don't know what it is, then you can't actually sell "it" because there isn't an "IT" to sell. It's a concept, not a commodity. This is idea is absurd. Did this fellow serve as an advisor to Monty Python?

Hey. News flash. I don't know what Art or Happiness is, either. I do know bullshit. Let's sell Bullshit on the NASDQ. Yep. Oh they did that, already. They called that Dervatives. Yeah, and since that market crashed, these guys are still looking for a new way to market the wheel.

On further thought, I would add this: What is the point of putting citizenship up for sale when illegal aliens just take it for free? That is sort of the point Mr Sandel is missing. THAT is why it is an issue. Some wealthy honest person paying 50 grand for citizenship? All they have to do is apply for free , it doesn't cost anything. This is absurd.

Forum List

Back