Should we or should we not legalize drugs?

Gop guy

Apr 17, 2004
West Reading PA
Well?

In my opinion, this war is TOTALLY POINTLESS.

Federal Agents die EVERYDAY, and for what!? So some addict can get arrested, get back out on the streets, and kill to get more money for drugs?

IF A PERSON WANTS SOMETHING BADLY ENOUGH, HE WILL FIND A WAY TO GET IT, IT'S A SIMPLE CONCEPT.

Some would say that this is a liberal standpoint, I think it's more liberatarian, I don't care either way, it's a LOGICAL standpoint.

We should legalize it, legalize it and place MASSIVE TAXES ON IT.

If they are going to be idiots, lets at least make some money off of them.

Your thoughts....

If we legalize certain drugs...like cocaine, marijuana, etc....then I want to legalize all drugs and make them available OTC. That way, there will be much lower costs on the prescriptions that my family has to take.

I would also expect the repeal of every single other law that's put in place to protect people...

I don't think it should be legalized. To me that is like giving up. Why not legalize rape if it's happening too much? I feel like if it's legalized,people will be smokin it as casually as they do cigarettes and getting in their cars driving and putting me and my children in even more danger on the road. I understand that they can do that now,but I think the fear of getting caught squelches some of the abuse. Plus,if it is legalized are we going to put an age on it? I just feel it is way to dangerous and would cause way to many social problems if we do. People would be doing this stuff in public....do you want your kids around that? I don't

Originally posted by krisy
I don't think it should be legalized. To me that is like giving up. Why not legalize rape if it's happening too much? I feel like if it's legalized,people will be smokin it as casually as they do cigarettes and getting in their cars driving and putting me and my children in even more danger on the road. I understand that they can do that now,but I think the fear of getting caught squelches some of the abuse. Plus,if it is legalized are we going to put an age on it? I just feel it is way to dangerous and would cause way to many social problems if we do. People would be doing this stuff in public....do you want your kids around that? I don't

Todays "war on drugs" is like prohibition. We "gave up" on that one too. But, lets face it, like alcohol during prohibition, drugs fuel and finance a huge percentage of crime across the board and across borders. By decriminalizing the use of drugs, we can tax and regulate it. And the money goes into the maw of government. Also, many dedicated DEA agents no longer have to worry about getting killed trying to interdict this stuff. It seems hypocritical to allow tobacco and alcohol to operate openly when both are proven killers. The difference is that the columbian cartels haven't figured out how to lobby congress yet.

I see your point-I really do. We can't just let people do things though because it is too tough to stop them. I think something definitely needs to be done about the borders too. I believe part of the problem is that parents are not staying involved enough in their kids lives. We need to know everything they are doing at all times,especially when they are teens becuase this is when they get hooked. No matter how young. I know that most people are going to experiment at one point or another,but I don't want to promote it by legalizing anything. At least the Reagans tried with the "Just Say No" campaign. A lot of people make fun of it,but it was a lot more than Clinton ever tried to do. Now that we have moral leadership,we should crack down on this problem again.

I totally agree with you!:clap:

Originally posted by pegwinn
Todays "war on drugs" is like prohibition. We "gave up" on that one too. But, lets face it, like alcohol during prohibition, drugs fuel and finance a huge percentage of crime across the board and across borders. By decriminalizing the use of drugs, we can tax and regulate it. And the money goes into the maw of government. Also, many dedicated DEA agents no longer have to worry about getting killed trying to interdict this stuff. It seems hypocritical to allow tobacco and alcohol to operate openly when both are proven killers. The difference is that the columbian cartels haven't figured out how to lobby congress yet.

Tobacco doesn't make people get in their cars and drive erratically and kill people though. As far as alcohol goes,I could care less about it,because I don't drink. I don't believe cigs can be compared to drugs. Drugs are mind altering,cigarettes may be addictive,but don't cause the problems in society that drugs do such as murder,rape,abuse of all kinds.theft etc...

I won't argue about the effects of nicotine,but it just can't compare to drugs in society.

My tendency is to say "legalize it". Government should focus on protecting people from one another. Protecting people from their own bad habits is impossible. Legalize it. Tax it. Put some money into education rehab facilities.

There's is still a part of me that just doesn't think it would be wise to sell crack at convenience stores, however.

Originally posted by JIHADTHIS
Seal the borders. Cuts off the supply, eventually the demand goes away......

No the price skyrockets, incenting thugs to commit even more heinous violence to control the lucrative black markets.

I am actually for putting a substantial amount of military on the borders,then we can stop this ridiculous immigration problem as well.

Tobacco doesn't make people get in their cars and drive erratically and kill people though. As far as alcohol goes,I could care less about it,because I don't drink. I don't believe cigs can be compared to drugs. Drugs are mind altering,cigarettes may be addictive,but don't cause the problems in society that drugs do such as murder,rape,abuse of all kinds.theft etc...

I won't argue about the effects of nicotine,but it just can't compare to drugs in society.

Alcohol is mind altering and we only have a law that says if your caught driving intoxicated your in trouble. People make fools of themselves when they are drunk. People that do drugs would do the same. I too feel that the War on Drugs is a futile one. That money can be better spent in the War on terror or in other needed areas of our country.

...THey're going to find a way to do it. Legalize the drugs, tax them, and use the proceedds for rehab, treatment programs and education, the latter to nip the problem in the bud before it gets well under way.

Forum List

Back