Should We Have Disbanded The Iraqi Army?

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by NATO AIR, Dec 23, 2004.

1. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    this may seem like an old question beyond debate, but I respectfully disagree. I still consider it to be the worst decision made in our occupation of Iraq. And when I read wishy wash crap like this

I feel sick. There is a sliver of truth in the author's opportunist article, and that is that the Iraqi Army was rotten to the core. That, for quite a bit of the senior leadership, is quite true, perhaps even for a good number of the enlisted leadership as well. Nevertheless, there are good NCO's in almost any army, even enemy ones, and to discount their likely contribution to the defense of their homeland against Iranian/Syrian/Jihadist forces is a serious mistake. We sent hundreds of thousands of men with weapons training (and weapons) home with no contact, no promise of future work, no offer of assistance. Big, big mistake, one our guys are now paying for.

I can argue with opinions and viewpoints, but JON LEE ANDERSON, a journalist who was in Iraq before, during and after the invasion (on his own, not embedded or alligned with Saddam) cooly shows the truth of this mistake and others in an article from the New Yorker, which offers pointed advice to the Bush administration on how to deal with the insurgency. This is a journalist who wants the US to succeed in Iraq, if nothing more than to help the Iraqis succeed. He was in Afghanistan right after 9/11 as well, and the book he wrote about his experiences there with Northern Alliance forces was a fair, detail-rich portrayal of the liberation of Afghanistan. So was his more recent book, the Fall Of Baghdad, which was also fair and detail-rich, without being anti or pro-American to a fault.

2. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    Interesting story --I wonder what Bremers' reasoning was??

3. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Really is a tough call. The Baathists were very oppressive in their rule of Iraq. They had proved themselves to be very underhanded in their dealings not only with the US but the UN and other countries as well. Not sure how much we could or should have trusted them right after the fall of Iraq. On the other hand, a lot of institutional knowledge went right out the window.

4. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    I never got a good excuse/reason I could understand or like. Perhaps someone on here can enlighten me and others about this.

I see it as a mistake that along with the idiocy of widespread de-baathifcation cost us lives, money, time and a whole lot of good opportunity to do other, more productive things in Iraq.

I don't think Bremer did a very good job at all. Tenet either. Tommy Franks did great though. (of the 3 people have been screaming about as well as rumsfield)

5. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i would think the SENIOR of senior batathists should have been imprisoned and punished. the rank and file guys (those with the knowledge and the expertise) should have been held to a high standard but given a 2nd chance.

6. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Not arguing with you here...trying to figure it out myself. I wonder just how far down the ranks the you had to go before you got to the rank and file you speak of. I certainly do not understand why the Iraqi Army "rank and file" were disbanded either.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I hate to say bad intel but it could have been that plus getting some bogus suggestions from Chalabi who wanted it all for himself. We trusted that dude too long IMO.

8. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    oh no no argument from me on this one. the funny thing is it seems all of us (at least the open-minded ones) are stumped about this, i guess its one for the historians to figure out.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. NATO AIR

NATO AIR Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i definitely agree about him and the other exiles.

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    This is honestly where I think the initial victory came to swiftly and while we were prepared for a war that possibly included chemical weapons the thought of post war planning was one that was still in the beginning stages. Decisions had to be made quickly which easily leads to making the wrong ones.