Should we be controlling guns or psychiatric medications?

These pstchotropic drugs cause mental illness..they cause murder and suicide and all scientific evidence shows they are no more effective that a placebo

This is a failure of a post. Do you want actual research to look over?

Watchers of a February broadcast of “60 Minutes” may have been stunned to learn that studies have been conducted that seem to prove that antidepressants, on the whole, are no more effective than placebo.

This revelation about antidepressants – among the top-selling and top-prescribed drugs in the United States – may have been new news to some, but the studies conducted by Irving Kirsch, PhD, and colleagues, have been raising eyebrows and garnering attention since 1998. Which begs the question, have Kirsch’s studies had any impact on the sales of antidepressants and/or on the prescribing patterns of doctors?

The end of antidepressants? Studies show they’re no more effective than placebo yet carry serious health risks « CCHR International

New Research on the Antidepressant-vs.-Placebo Debate | TIME.com

I would suppose they have no more effect than a placebo on certain people. They have a negative effect on some, but a positive effect on most.
I myself took Xanax for a short time. (6 weeks)
I was undergoing wound therapy after a staph infection nearly took my left hand. Daily, I endured an hour or two of 2 therapists unpacking the wound, cutting away necrotic flesh and then redressing my hand.
I took massive amounts of opiates to relieve the pain, but short of risking respiratory arrest, it still hurt. The hand surgeon prescribed Xanax, as he said, to keep me from strangling his therapists.

My experience was that even though what the ladies were doing hurt about 16 on a 1 to 10 scale, I didn't much give a shit. For the first month, I was seen by either a doctor, a therapist or both, 7 days a week. For the next 2 months, I was seen 3 times/week. I'm sure a major change in my personality would have been noticed and medications adjusted.

Last edited by a moderator:
388280_315503278566185_1740198632_n.png

There is no gun control, they are inanimate objects.
It is all about people control they are the ones misusing the inanimate objects to harm others.

500 homicides in Chicago in 2012. That matches the peak year for US military deaths in Afghanistan in 2010 of 500. 300 Americans killed in Afghanistan this year, which translates to 200 fewer deaths than people living in Chicago. They must have better gun control in Afghanistan lately.

Dumb asses.

all major antidepressant drugs other than prozac, known as ssris, are set to be be banned for children under 18 by the government today, amid concerns that the drugs cause young patients to commit suicide.

the british government ban for use of all but one ssri antidepressant drug in children and teens (dec 10, 2003) is reverberating wherever these drugs are widely prescribed. The action was taken after an independent committee of experts examined the raw data from controlled clinical trials that had been conducted by these drugs' manufacturers. The evidence shows that contrary to the claims made by their promoters, ssris are neither effective against depression in children, nor safe. The hazards posed by ssris--of which the most serious is self-harm and aggression toward others--had been detected during company controlled clinical trials, but the hazards were concealed--even in published reports in academic journals. Thus, doctors who prescribed the drugs and patients and families for whom they have been prescribed were kept in the dark.

uk - major antidepressants banned - suicide threat

ok my keyboard scholars....allow me to get a break from studies and i will give you some research articles and abstracts to look at. I will also assist interpret certain meaning for you.

how are you going to muster that when you appear to not even grasp the basics yet ?

The highlighted above I'm assuming was the cited research from The New England Journal of Medicine if I'm not mistaken was a critique on antidepressants--including SSRI's (Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors) and other medication MAY NOT be any different than placebos in treating most forms of depression. Now, this may be a different research article than the one that I've reviewed so if you can get the actual article it would give me a better idea. most news articles tend to review the conclusion, and not the actual result section (the result section usually consist of, well, the obvious results from the statistical formula they used to measure whether the method was multivariate, cross-sectional, or simply a questionnaire).

Rather than a total dismissal based on your lack of understanding because you saw something on the internet, its best to keep in mind of the pros and cons of antidepressant efficacy rate. In the following article, it sites that certain anti-depressants along with cognitive behavioral therapy has shown positive results, see the following:

JAMA Network | JAMA | Switching to Another SSRI or to Venlafaxine With or Without Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Adolescents With SSRI-Resistant DepressionThe TORDIA Randomized Controlled Trial

To add to insult to injury of EOTS post, a 2003 2004 study showed the following:

"In October 2003, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) issued a public health advisory regarding several reports of children and teenagers taking antidepressants who attempted or committed suicide. In December 2003, in the United Kingdom, the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency issued a letter to doctors advising against the use of almost all antidepressants in anyone under 18 years of age. A similar warning was issued by the European Medicines Agency the same month. In February 2004, the FDA issued a public health advisory providing further caution to physicians, patients, and families about a possible link between suicide and antidepressants. In October 2004, the FDA ordered pharmaceutical companies to add a black box warning to the labeling of all antidepressants used with pediatric patients regarding a possible increased risk of suicidality in pediatric patients taking antidepressants. This FDA action was based on data from randomized controlled trials suggesting a twofold increase in suicidal ideation and behavior when antidepressants, including SSRIs, were prescribed to youths who were not actively suicidal (11). In December 2006, the FDA’s Psychopharmacologic Drugs Advisory Committee reviewed the agency’s data from randomized controlled trials with adults (12) and concluded that the black box warning should be extended to young adults. A major limitation of the studies in the FDA’s database is that no suicides were reported in the pediatric studies and only eight suicides were reported in the adult studies—two of 36,049 patients receiving placebo, five of 53,030 patients receiving test drug, and one of 11,217 patients receiving active control drug. Thus, even the combination of 372 studies involving nearly 100,000 patients provided little or no evidence regarding the effects of antidepressants on suicide.

The FDA’s findings for children appear to be inconsistent with psychological autopsy studies of suicide victims suggesting that few pediatric suicide victims have been exposed to SSRIs (13) and with ecological studies on completed suicides (7) and suicide attempts that indicate an overall protective effect of SSRIs in children and adolescents (14–16). Gibbons et al. (17) found a significant inverse relationship between county-level SSRI prescription rates and adult suicide rates both within counties over time and between counties. Ludwig and Marcotte (18) found an inverse association between SSRI prescription rates and suicide rates from 1980 to 1999 in 26 European countries, and similar results have been obtained in the United States (19). More recently, Bramness et al. (20) confirmed a significant inverse association between SSRI sales and suicide rates from 1980 to 2004 in a county-level analysis in Norway. Isacsson (21) hypothesized that a fivefold increase in antidepressant prescriptions in Sweden (from 1% to 5%) would be associated with a 25% reduction in suicides. In a natural experiment, he observed that a 3.5-fold increase in antidepressant prescriptions in Sweden was associated with a 19% decrease in suicides.

Taken as a whole, these ecological data on suicide rates suggest that a decrease in the number of prescriptions written for the newer antidepressants (SSRIs and non-serotonergic-specific antidepressants) will lead to an increase in the suicide rate. In this article, we examine the question of whether the public health warnings in the United States and Europe led to decreases in SSRI prescription rates for children and adolescents in the United States and the Netherlands and whether these decreases in prescription rates were associated with increases in suicide rates in children and adolescents."

See Reference: PsychiatryOnline | American Journal of Psychiatry | Early Evidence on the Effects of Regulators

These pstchotropic drugs cause mental illness..they cause murder and suicide and all scientific evidence shows they are no more effective that a placebo

Go away retard. These medications work on 70 to 80 percent of mentally ill people. You would deny life saving medication to people cause you are a fucking loon.

I take said medication and have over the years taken most of them. Other then helping they have never caused any problems well except halydol which made me feel funny and they stopped it right away.

The problem is not the medication. The problem is people are so fucked up as the meds begin to work they go back through the stages of depression on the way up and before the med is fully working they do something stupid. Cause of the ILLNESS not the meds. The meds just made them well enough at that point to act on their thoughts.

And that is a very small percentage of the people that take those medications. But no you would deny treatment to MILLIONS cause you are to stupid to know what you are complaining about.

Most psychiatrist and psychologist would say that in certain cases antidepressants are no different than placebos as some research studies have shown, however I personally would say that if in fact that is true, then we need to discuss alternatives especially in situations where there are people suffering from unipolar disorders or schizoaffective disorders. We should not totally dismiss psychiatric medication simply because we saw a special on ABC or saw an article on google. All psychiatrist and psychologist do not have a unanimous opinion on whether the efficacy of psychotropic drugs are no better than placebos whether the subjects are adolescents or adults.

I think the general public should be more educated on the pros and cons and alternitives to psychiatric medicine.

Go away retard. These medications work on 70 to 80 percent of mentally ill people. You would deny life saving medication to people cause you are a fucking loon.

I take said medication and have over the years taken most of them. Other then helping they have never caused any problems well except halydol which made me feel funny and they stopped it right away.

The problem is not the medication. The problem is people are so fucked up as the meds begin to work they go back through the stages of depression on the way up and before the med is fully working they do something stupid. Cause of the ILLNESS not the meds. The meds just made them well enough at that point to act on their thoughts.

And that is a very small percentage of the people that take those medications. But no you would deny treatment to MILLIONS cause you are to stupid to know what you are complaining about.

:clap2:

Forum List

Back