Should we be controlling guns or psychiatric medications?

Ernie S.

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2010
Sweet Home Alabama
After all, Mark and Louise Tambascio, family friends of the shooter and his mother, were interviewed on CBS’ “60 Minutes,” during which Louise Tambascio told correspondent Scott Pelley: “I know he was on medication and everything, but she homeschooled him at home cause he couldn’t deal with the school classes sometimes, so she just homeschooled Adam at home. And that was her life.” And here, Tambascio tells ABC News, “I knew he was on medication, but that’s all I know.”
Read more at The giant, gaping hole in Sandy Hook reporting

A very interesting read. The article talks about numerous mass shootings by both children and adults and points out that in many cases, the perpetrator was on, or recently had been on psychiatric medications.

Seeing as how Big Pharma wants all Americans on at least one prescription drug then yeah, we should be controlling the drugs.

The Drugs and Big Pharma are the problem.

Psychiatric drugs have their place. Some people are actually able to function pretty much normally on them, but patients on them should be evaluated OFTEN and their access to firearms restricted if they are judged to be a danger to themselves or others.

I am not saying anyone on a mood altering drug should loose their 2nd Amendment rights, as there are valid reasons to prescribe these drugs to otherwise rational people.

It's sad that we live in a society where we have to question whether psychiatric medication "needs to be controlled." Unfortunately, people misappropriate social stigma upon psychiatric medicine and mental health...Sad.

These pstchotropic drugs cause mental illness..they cause murder and suicide and all scientific evidence shows they are no more effective that a placebo

This is a failure of a post. Do you want actual research to look over?

In certain instances people who are on sedatives or "psychotropic" medication are also in counseling sessions. This isn't simply popping a pill and hope for the best. There is a lot of monitoring by the psychologist/psychiatrist. People need to stop making baseless claims.

controlling guns

Sight.JPG

Controlling psychiatric medications

2762-300.jpg

Using psychotropic drugs

4986648-psychotropic-hallucinations-metaphor-green-pepper-syringe.jpg

It's sad that we live in a society where we have to question whether psychiatric medication "needs to be controlled." Unfortunately, people misappropriate social stigma upon psychiatric medicine and mental health...Sad.

Maybe you misunderstood my premise. I did not say psychiatric medicines need to be controlled. I said people using them should be carefully monitored.
The linked article cites numerous cases where there have been unanticipated adverse effects caused by medication. It would appear that Luvox has actually caused school shootings while the same can't be said for guns, yet Liberals want to reduce magazine capacity and not dosage.

If as has been suggested, Adam Lanza was on medication, why was he not monitored for these adverse reactions?
They are playing with the chemistry in someone's mind. They should be damned sure they're getting the desired results and not creating another Eric Harris.

Maybe you misunderstood my premise. I did not say psychiatric medicines need to be controlled. I said people using them should be carefully monitored.
The linked article cites numerous cases where there have been unanticipated adverse effects caused by medication. It would appear that Luvox has actually caused school shootings while the same can't be said for guns, yet Liberals want to reduce magazine capacity and not dosage.

If as has been suggested, Adam Lanza was on medication, why was he not monitored for these adverse reactions?
They are playing with the chemistry in someone's mind. They should be damned sure they're getting the desired results and not creating another Eric Harris.

Ok perhaps misunderstood.

But now that you mentioned the word "controlled" what does that mean? Institutionalized? Monitored? If monitored what type of monitoring? Normally people with psychiatric disorders that are being monitored normally do not have the capacity to load up assault weapons, that requires higher cognitive function. Someone with severe mental deficiency can barely wipe their ass let alone load up an assault rifle, so please be more specific.

These pstchotropic drugs cause mental illness..they cause murder and suicide and all scientific evidence shows they are no more effective that a placebo

This is a failure of a post. Do you want actual research to look over?

Watchers of a February broadcast of “60 Minutes” may have been stunned to learn that studies have been conducted that seem to prove that antidepressants, on the whole, are no more effective than placebo.

This revelation about antidepressants – among the top-selling and top-prescribed drugs in the United States – may have been new news to some, but the studies conducted by Irving Kirsch, PhD, and colleagues, have been raising eyebrows and garnering attention since 1998. Which begs the question, have Kirsch’s studies had any impact on the sales of antidepressants and/or on the prescribing patterns of doctors?

The end of antidepressants? Studies show they’re no more effective than placebo yet carry serious health risks « CCHR International

New Research on the Antidepressant-vs.-Placebo Debate | TIME.com

Last edited by a moderator:
All major antidepressant drugs other than Prozac, known as SSRIs, are set to be be banned for children under 18 by the Government today, amid concerns that the drugs cause young patients to commit suicide.

The British government ban for use of all but one SSRI antidepressant drug in children and teens (Dec 10, 2003) is reverberating wherever these drugs are widely prescribed. The action was taken after an independent committee of experts examined the raw data from controlled clinical trials that had been conducted by these drugs' manufacturers. The evidence shows that contrary to the claims made by their promoters, SSRIs are neither effective against depression in children, nor safe. The hazards posed by SSRIs--of which the most serious is self-harm and aggression toward others--had been detected during company controlled clinical trials, but the hazards were concealed--even in published reports in academic journals. Thus, doctors who prescribed the drugs and patients and families for whom they have been prescribed were kept in the dark.

UK - Major antidepressants banned - suicide threat

Last edited:
Psychiatric drugs have their place, and that place is to make pharmaceutical companies rich.
It would be more effective to ban Psychiatric drugs than to ban guns. There is no reason that school age
kids should be prescribed Psychiatric drugs.

Last edited:
All major antidepressant drugs other than Prozac, known as SSRIs, are set to be be banned for children under 18 by the Government today, amid concerns that the drugs cause young patients to commit suicide.

The British government ban for use of all but one SSRI antidepressant drug in children and teens (Dec 10, 2003) is reverberating wherever these drugs are widely prescribed. The action was taken after an independent committee of experts examined the raw data from controlled clinical trials that had been conducted by these drugs' manufacturers. The evidence shows that contrary to the claims made by their promoters, SSRIs are neither effective against depression in children, nor safe. The hazards posed by SSRIs--of which the most serious is self-harm and aggression toward others--had been detected during company controlled clinical trials, but the hazards were concealed--even in published reports in academic journals. Thus, doctors who prescribed the drugs and patients and families for whom they have been prescribed were kept in the dark.

UK - Major antidepressants banned - suicide threat

Ok my keyboard scholars....Allow me to get a break from studies and I will give you some research articles and abstracts to look at. I will also assist interpret certain meaning for you.

all major antidepressant drugs other than prozac, known as ssris, are set to be be banned for children under 18 by the government today, amid concerns that the drugs cause young patients to commit suicide.

the british government ban for use of all but one ssri antidepressant drug in children and teens (dec 10, 2003) is reverberating wherever these drugs are widely prescribed. The action was taken after an independent committee of experts examined the raw data from controlled clinical trials that had been conducted by these drugs' manufacturers. The evidence shows that contrary to the claims made by their promoters, ssris are neither effective against depression in children, nor safe. The hazards posed by ssris--of which the most serious is self-harm and aggression toward others--had been detected during company controlled clinical trials, but the hazards were concealed--even in published reports in academic journals. Thus, doctors who prescribed the drugs and patients and families for whom they have been prescribed were kept in the dark.

uk - major antidepressants banned - suicide threat

ok my keyboard scholars....allow me to get a break from studies and i will give you some research articles and abstracts to look at. I will also assist interpret certain meaning for you.

how are you going to muster that when you appear to not even grasp the basics yet ?

Ok perhaps misunderstood.

But now that you mentioned the word "controlled" what does that mean? Institutionalized? Monitored? If monitored what type of monitoring? Normally people with psychiatric disorders that are being monitored normally do not have the capacity to load up assault weapons, that requires higher cognitive function. Someone with severe mental deficiency can barely wipe their ass let alone load up an assault rifle, so please be more specific.

Are you even paying attention to what you are replying to?

I wrote:
I did not say psychiatric medicines need to be controlled. I said people using them should be carefully monitored.

Forum List

Back