Should The U.S. Government Bale out California?

There are 3 states whose profligate spending and generous deals with public employees put them in danger of bankruptcy: NJ, NY, and CA.

NJ has started to address its spending problem with Gov. Christie, NY has yet to address it but come next year perhaps the new Governor will do so but CA is arguably worse off then both of them for two mains reasons. Its noble attempts at inexpensive higher education, generous benefit package for state employees, its own Cap and Trade and other public spending promise to deliver them unto penury. Second and probably more importantly is the very mindset of leftist dependency on the government shared by a significant amount of the CA electorate. If the populace has become so dependent on public spending and subsidies that the dreaded tipping point of no return to personal responsibility has been reached, should the rest of America bail them out? Would doing so present moral hazard writ large?

JM

It is no time to be zealous over government dependency, when California has a history of supporting 2-3 other states annually with it's federal taxes. And with it's resources and import/exports, you would only be cutting your own throat. I live here, but I don't give a damn what your do or think. If the economy goes to shit, the property devalues and I can take advantage of investments and lower interest rates. If you help with aid, my property portfolio will increase in value.

Do you know why the conservabots called Brown "moonbeam"? This is a riot. Back in the early 70s, Brown had this whacked idea that we should like, get this, put a ring of, Omigod, I'm giggling when i think of it, satellites around the planet. LOL! Yeah, the idiot thought it would be a good idea to "beam" communications signals off these sattelites and thereby, what a moron, have near instantaneous global communications!

Can you believe it? No wonder the neanderthalls calling themselves conservatives came up with a cute derogatory name for the man!
Wrong.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/weekinreview/07mckinley.html?_r=1
The nickname was coined by Mike Royko, the famed Chicago columnist, who in 1976 said that Mr. Brown appeared to be attracting “the moonbeam vote,” which in Chicago political parlance meant young, idealistic and nontraditional.
The term had a nice California feel, and Mr. Royko eventually began applying it when he wrote about the Golden State’s young, idealistic and nontraditional chief executive. He found endless amusement — and sometimes outright agita — in California’s oddities, calling the state “the world’s largest outdoor mental asylum.”
I was born and raised in California so I lived through Governor Moonbeams' reign. I don't recall ever hearing him saying anything nearly as intelligent as what you described.

Piss off you Cali haters!! You're just jealous of our great state's natural beauty, hot babes, and awesome weather!!

People want to live here and business's want to stay here, we just need to help make it happen with pro-business policies and taxation. As on the Federal level, we do not have an income problem in California, we have a spending problem - the next governor has his/her work cut out for them.

Last edited:
Do you know why the conservabots called Brown "moonbeam"? This is a riot. Back in the early 70s, Brown had this whacked idea that we should like, get this, put a ring of, Omigod, I'm giggling when i think of it, satellites around the planet. LOL! Yeah, the idiot thought it would be a good idea to "beam" communications signals off these sattelites and thereby, what a moron, have near instantaneous global communications!

Can you believe it? No wonder the neanderthalls calling themselves conservatives came up with a cute derogatory name for the man!

In 1976, a Chicago newspaper columnist wrote that Jerry Brown would get "the moonbeam vote."

The writer was Mike Royko, who then started referring to the then-38-year-old Brown as "Gov. Moonbeam." Royko was suggesting that Brown was attracting California's New Age crowd.
History lesson: Why Jerry Brown is called 'Moonbeam' | Top of the Ticket | Los Angeles Times
:eusa_whistle:

I lived there and never heard any of the global communication yarns. Although, he was dating Linda Ronstadt during his first tenure.

There are 3 states whose profligate spending and generous deals with public employees put them in danger of bankruptcy: NJ, NY, and CA.

NJ has started to address its spending problem with Gov. Christie, NY has yet to address it but come next year perhaps the new Governor will do so but CA is arguably worse off then both of them for two mains reasons. Its noble attempts at inexpensive higher education, generous benefit package for state employees, its own Cap and Trade and other public spending promise to deliver them unto penury. Second and probably more importantly is the very mindset of leftist dependency on the government shared by a significant amount of the CA electorate. If the populace has become so dependent on public spending and subsidies that the dreaded tipping point of no return to personal responsibility has been reached, should the rest of America bail them out? Would doing so present moral hazard writ large?

JM

I think we should bail out California with the revenues from Iraqi oil we're getting,

for bailing them out.

There had been TV satellite coverage since the mid 60's.

Yeah, like twice. The 1964 Olympics and some bullshit we sent to Japan in 1963. The first truly geosync communications sattelite serving the North American continent was launch by canada in 1972 and wasn't followed by a United States Sattelite of the same class till 1974.

Did I mention that i used to work for space command?

Yeah, like twice. The 1964 Olympics and some bullshit we sent to Japan in 1963. The first truly geosync communications sattelite serving the North American continent was launch by canada in 1972 and wasn't followed by a United States Sattelite of the same class till 1974.

Ground control to Maj. L-Nuts........

I am not so sure that we SHOULD bail out either of those three states, but if we felt we HAD TO bail out banks and the auto industry then I think the answer will be that we MUST bail out the states as well... more government spending we can't afford.

Immie

WTF? :cuckoo:

I am not so sure that we SHOULD bail out either of those three states, but if we felt we HAD TO bail out banks and the auto industry then I think the answer will be that we MUST bail out the states as well... more government spending we can't afford.

Immie

So.....they can do it all over again, Immie? Ca. won't change, and maybe the feds should run the state like they are with GM?

Wondering where you are picking up your really wrong information about what conservatives, neanderthals or otherwise, have done:

The nickname was coined by Mike Royko, the famed Chicago columnist, who in 1976 said that Mr. Brown appeared to be attracting “the moonbeam vote,” which in Chicago political parlance meant young, idealistic and nontraditional.

The term had a nice California feel, and Mr. Royko eventually began applying it when he wrote about the Golden State’s young, idealistic and nontraditional chief executive. He found endless amusement — and sometimes outright agita — in California’s oddities, calling the state “the world’s largest outdoor mental asylum.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/weekinreview/07mckinley.html?_r=1

Immie

So.....they can do it all over again, Immie? Ca. won't change, and maybe the feds should run the state like they are with GM?

Maybe the FEDS should ANNEX Kaleefornya...into a Federally Protected Zone? [And Make the rest of the States pay for the folly?

;)

JM

I think we should bail out California with the revenues from Iraqi oil we're getting,

for bailing them out.

Good luck with this shit.

Given that there will be an electoral Tsunami due to the fact the banks and the auto firms got bailed out, no politician is going to go to that poisoned well again in a hurry.
Tarp killed off several republicans in 2008, and now the democrats will get their punishment for it. The best California can hope for is to have Celine Dion sing at the funeral.

WTF? :cuckoo:

Indeed, :cuckoo: . He seems so well informed on the subject.

Space Command to Earth:

s5g5dj.png

Wondering where you are picking up your really wrong information about what conservatives, neanderthals or otherwise, have done

Uh, from further on in that article...

But the nickname accompanied Governor Brown as he declared his fascination with outer space, proposed that California launch its own space satellite

Forum List

Back