Should the Next Doctor be a Woman?

Should a woman play the Next Doctor?

• Yes, it's about time a woman played The Doctor.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, that would be too weird.

Votes: 8 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
My own opinion. While it has been suggested a Time Lord can change gender with a regeneration, we haven't seen that much. The Doctor has been male through all 11 of his incarnations. The Master has been male in all of his regenerations (although a few of those have involved stolen bodies.) For the Time Ladies, they've maintained their gender as well. (Although the only two we've seen are Romana and River Song.)

As you may or may not have heard, Matt Smith is leaving Doctor Who at Christmas, opening the door for the 12th incarnation of the Doctor.

So should it be a woman or not?

Poll to follow.

no.....After 900 years + of being a male....i think it would be rather strange....a female with a mans thoughts and behavior....Dr. Tranny......i would probably stop watching....

My own opinion. While it has been suggested a Time Lord can change gender with a regeneration, we haven't seen that much. The Doctor has been male through all 11 of his incarnations. The Master has been male in all of his regenerations (although a few of those have involved stolen bodies.) For the Time Ladies, they've maintained their gender as well. (Although the only two we've seen are Romana and River Song.)

dont forget Susan and Chancellor Flavia and the Rani....

Did any of them actually regenerate? I was referring specifically to Gallifreyans who have regenerated, either on or off screen.

As far as I know, only Kate Omara ever played The Rani. Only Carol Ann Ford ever played Susan (and it was never actually verified she was Galifreyan.) Only Dinah Sheridan ever played Flavia (Okay, I had to look that one up.)

The other Time lord who regenerated numerous times was Cardinal/Chancellor/President Borusa, who was played by a different actor every time he showed up.

The only reference Canonically to a gender changing Time Lord was one called The Corsair, mentioned in The Doctor's Wife, who the doctor referred to as being "a bad girl" when she was female.

Did any of them actually regenerate? I was referring specifically to Gallifreyans who have regenerated, either on or off screen.

As far as I know, only Kate Omara ever played The Rani. Only Carol Ann Ford ever played Susan (and it was never actually verified she was Galifreyan.) Only Dinah Sheridan ever played Flavia (Okay, I had to look that one up.)

The other Time lord who regenerated numerous times was Cardinal/Chancellor/President Borusa, who was played by a different actor every time he showed up.

The only reference Canonically to a gender changing Time Lord was one called The Corsair, mentioned in The Doctor's Wife, who the doctor referred to as being "a bad girl" when she was female.

Only Carol Ann Ford ever played Susan (and it was never actually verified she was Galifreyan.)

well the 1st Doctor and his other selves have referred to her as his Grand Daughter.....he has never referred to any of the other real young girl companions as that.....besides like Paramount does with the trek novels,once a series ends the Authors can start filling in the holes.....in the 5th Doctor Novel Divided Loyalties he reminisces back to when he was a student at the Time Lords' Academy with the Master and 4 other young Time Lords and their plan to steal a TARDIS and go for a joy ride.....only he was the one who ended up doing it and realized he was putting his Grand Daughter in danger....because he was not that good at piloting them....and he of course picked out an old model on top of that.....

I don't know. It would depend who they selected. And would the Doctors sidekick have to be a male?

I think it's not so much the actor portraying the doctor that has made this franchise successful, but the writing and directing. That is the crux of the biscuit.

oh i dont know about that.....David Tennants Doctor from what i understand brought in a bunch of new fans....the 6th Doctor was not that well liked and some fans were letting the producers know....it is believed that Colin Baker was let go because of that.....

I think it's not so much the actor portraying the doctor that has made this franchise successful, but the writing and directing. That is the crux of the biscuit.

Not really.

What killed the original series was that Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were geniunely unlikable actors. (Colin Baker had the unique distinction of being the only actor FIRED from the role.)

And frankly, the direction of the original series, where they would put in a lot of filler between cliff hangers in a four part serial, was kind of dull. (The best thing they did in the new series was make the stories one episode affairs.)

Not really.

What killed the original series was that Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy were geniunely unlikable actors. (Colin Baker had the unique distinction of being the only actor FIRED from the role.)

And frankly, the direction of the original series, where they would put in a lot of filler between cliff hangers in a four part serial, was kind of dull. (The best thing they did in the new series was make the stories one episode affairs.)

really?.....in a fan poll.....McCoy was voted the best of the Doctors by Doctor Who Magazine in 1990 even over Tom Baker...so the fans liked the guy.....i thought he was pretty decent myself.....

Not really.

really?.....in a fan poll.....McCoy was voted the best of the Doctors by Doctor Who Magazine in 1990 even over Tom Baker...so the fans liked the guy.....i thought he was pretty decent myself.....

I never liked him. Not that it was entirely his fault, but in his period, the stories just started getting weirder, he was just doing a warmed over Troughton's doctor.

As for the Poll, maybe folks were reflecting on the fact the show had just been cancelled and were hoping for a revival.

I will give him street cred. It was pretty awesome that he came back for the 15 minutes of the Doctor Who Movie and did a Regeneration scene. That was kind of classy of him.

Forum List

Back