SHould the mandate or the entire bill go?

Does anyone know WHY the justices refused to actually read the bill they are being paid to rule on?

Asked and answered. Cruel and Unusual punishment. This isn't surprising since no one has ever read the bill. We pay legislators who never read the bill before they voted on it. The people who wrote it never read it. It was written in sections, by committee. Those who wrote a section never read the sections written by others.

So, in your humble opinion, the justices can make an informed decision on the Constitutionality of the bill without ever reading it?

Well that's how Obama did it. Why would you expect SCOTUS to do more than the POTUS was willing to do?

I think the ruling and opinions will better establish whether any of the law can stand on its own.

But even then? The SCOTUS has shown that they don't necessarily side with the Constitution. (Roe v. Wade) is one case that we still wrestle with as it is a State issue.

Never forget that Maubury v. Madison was a case where the SCOTUS assigned itself powers it didn't have.

The system is what it is. More often than not it works regarding the Supreme Court. Checks and balances still exist. Unless you advocate revolution, what are your choices?

Push Congress for Amendment process into the Constitution so the Supremes can't touch it...and the Amendments written to preserve Liberty of the people over government. ;)

I side with liberty as the Founders every time. :)

2012-03-30-digest-cartoon-1.jpg

:badgrin: Funny. And funnier still was Elena Kagan (Whom should have recused herself from this case)...who pretty much inferred this in the proceedings...

She's probably already called Obama and told him the result of the initial vote. We'll be able to tell next week.....

Wouldn't suprise me. This presidency is full of leaks...Like Obama and Israel...but for another thread...:eusa_shhh:

Asked and answered. Cruel and Unusual punishment. This isn't surprising since no one has ever read the bill. We pay legislators who never read the bill before they voted on it. The people who wrote it never read it. It was written in sections, by committee. Those who wrote a section never read the sections written by others.

So, in your humble opinion, the justices can make an informed decision on the Constitutionality of the bill without ever reading it?

Well that's how Obama did it. Why would you expect SCOTUS to do more than the POTUS was willing to do?

Precisely...or as Justice Scalia inferred....It isn't thier job. They presume Adults in the Congress are cratfting legislation and reading it before voting on it.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
At an earlier fundraiser in Burlington, Obama told backers, "I said that we would get a health care law that would provide near universal coverage so that people don't have to go bankrupt when they get sick in this country; we got it passed."

Obama cites health care -- not high court case

I think he already knows and is pulling what little positive he can from it. This was a theme at two speeches today.

At an earlier fundraiser in Burlington, Obama told backers, "I said that we would get a health care law that would provide near universal coverage so that people don't have to go bankrupt when they get sick in this country; we got it passed."

I think he already knows and is pulling what little positive he can from it. This was a theme at two speeches today.

First time he's talked about it in months. Go figure.

He knew it was doomed to failure.

[Out of REP] For now...

[Out of REP] For now...

Not here for rep, just discussing my POV.

[Out of REP] For now...

Not here for rep, just discussing my POV.
Cool. Just wanted to express appreciation for your POV.

I'd like to see Dick Cheney take Ruth Ginsburg duck hunting.

Ditto RDD.

The enslavement comes from the fact that they get you on it and then make it damned hard if not impossible to get off of it. Yes, it is scary speak. Why is it that liberals are pushing our enslavement so much? I think that has a lot to do with the fact that they themselves have accepted their fate and are already consigned to it. Some of us refuse to do so.

And, RDD, under Obamacare, there is no getting off of it. Once it is in force we are all slaves of Princess Nancy and her entourage. You won't be able to "buy" your own insurance. You will be buying government approved assistence.

And one more thing, in an earlier post, you said, "if you are as truly broke as you claim to be", I don't think I claimed to be "broke". What I said is that I cannot afford $300 a month to buy insurance. At the moment, my cash flow is stable, but adding $3600 a year against me would quickly change that and very quickly eat up what little bit of savings I have retained.

Immie

Immie, everything you believe just isn't true. Can you point to anything in the actual bill that supports what you say, that once you receive assistance you can never get away from it?

I can go better than the bill. I only need to point to history and point out the Welfare System. Once in, it is damned near impossible to escape. That is by liberal design.

As for Obamacare. Once it takes effect there are NO private insurance companies. They are puppets of the government that must offer exactly what the government tells them to offer i.e. abortion services and at the price they are commanded to offer those services at.

The insurance companies must meet strict guidelines in regards to what they offer... they are soon to be puppets of the U.S. Government.

And if you have no choice in whether or not you purchase insurance or what policies to buy, then you HAVE NO WAY OUT.

Immie

But you're purchasing insurance from private companies, not the government. Are you saying that because there are laws regulating those companies, that makes you a slave to the government? Immie, I've got news for you...theres no business in America that doesn't have some sort of law or regulation governing it. If that's what you consider being "enslaved by the government" then you've been a slave for your entire life and this law is nothing new. You need to take off your tinfoil hat.

Immie, everything you believe just isn't true. Can you point to anything in the actual bill that supports what you say, that once you receive assistance you can never get away from it?

I can go better than the bill. I only need to point to history and point out the Welfare System. Once in, it is damned near impossible to escape. That is by liberal design.

As for Obamacare. Once it takes effect there are NO private insurance companies. They are puppets of the government that must offer exactly what the government tells them to offer i.e. abortion services and at the price they are commanded to offer those services at.

The insurance companies must meet strict guidelines in regards to what they offer... they are soon to be puppets of the U.S. Government.

And if you have no choice in whether or not you purchase insurance or what policies to buy, then you HAVE NO WAY OUT.

Immie

But you're purchasing insurance from private companies, not the government. Are you saying that because there are laws regulating those companies, that makes you a slave to the government? Immie, I've got news for you...theres no business in America that doesn't have some sort of law or regulation governing it. If that's what you consider being "enslaved by the government" then you've been a slave for your entire life and this law is nothing new. You need to take off your tinfoil hat.

No, I am saying that those companies are now owned by the U.S. Government. They are puppets being ALLOWED to offer government services. They are no longer free enterprises. This is not simply regulations. This is downright ownership to the point where they are told what products to offer and at what price.

Airlines, automobile manufacturers and oil companies are regulated. Under Obamacare Health Insurance is a government agency.

Immie

Looks like I am getting in on this a little late but I too an inclined to agree with Scalia (shocker). If you remove the only thing that could remotely be argued to pay for the thing (which it won't anyhow) and leave the rest you will bankrupt the states and the insurance industry as a whole (the latter of course the liberals are hoping for).

But I agree with Scalia that if you just remove that you have effectively created a situation where the rest of the law will require repeal and there will never be 60 votes in the Senate to do that. We will end up with a massive financial disaster with no way to get rid of it or alter it to solve the problem.

Toss the whole thing out and start over.

well for those who don't like government run health insurance with a mandate, you had better leave the country before you are 65.....the government "takes" a premium for Medicare out of your check and you don't have a choice....it is a mandate......If the republicans in the house had voted to "stop" the oil subsidies yesterday, maybe they could have used "that" for social security, medicare and medicaid instead of cutting programs......If we had gotten the Public Option, insurance rates would probably not be going up......... Our health care system "used" to be the best in the world, now it has fallen drastically, but we pay much more for the care---#30 in infant mortality now--that is pathetic..........

coersion???? that is what the supreme court tried to call the idea of medicaid expansion yesterday.....several of those conservative justices have been wined and dined by the Koch brothers and other rich and influential republicans, so I know how they will vote, unless Kennedy is not intimidated by them...... the same way they voted that corporations are people and poisoned our whole political system.........I can't wait until November.........[/q

Pure conjecture on your part. Please produce a link to dinner arrangements between the Justices and Koch brothers. TIA.

Oh PLEASE---retreats in Palm Springs, strategy sessions and only God knows what else.......Scalia and Thomas were both asked to recluse themselves from Citizens United and refused to so so.......look it up.....I can't wait until November........

Forum List

Back