Should the control of public schools be returned to the states?

MacTheKnife

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2018
As most should know but maybe they do not...Public Schools are under control of the Federal Government.

How did that come about? Most probably do not remember the days when most kids lived closed enough to their public school they could walk or bike there.

All that changed when the government became obsessed with forcing integration on everyone. We all know how that has big one stupdenouos failure to the tune of billions and billions of dollars....and there is no end in sight....the the Feds keep puring money into that failed concept trying to make it work. If they had spent all that money on creating quality schools for blacks as well as for whites....we would have one fantastic school system.

Does anyone know just how one program alone involved with that costs us billions of dollars....bussing......huge,huge, hugely expensive and all it has done is to transfer ghetto problems to the suburbs.

No one knows the problems of the public schools like the local officials...but what is happening of course is that bureaucrats in Washington far removed .....are creating the policies for our public schools.

Depite all the evidence that Washington is the huge problem in so many areas....some want to give more and more control to the Feds. Why is that?

Federal dollars are only 10% of my district's school revenues, and yes, they have to jump through ridiculous loops that actually harm education rather then help it; we could buy home schooling materials for around $600-$1,020 per student and teach them with those that and do it cheaper ourselves without Federal 'aid' and 'guidelines', so they really do no good. They did much better before it became a radical goal to seize control of the schools and use them for indoctrination camps in the 1970's.

We have more bureaucrats than teachers now, teachers aren't allowed to discipline kids, and parents are of course a major problem themselves. The small 6th grade classroom in the field down the block was turned into an administration building back in the 1980's; those now cover the entire 10 acres, and our district has been failing the standards tests the last two years, mainly due to criminal illegal aliens flooding the system as well as massively useless bureaucrats with no apparent function other than satisfying racial quotas.

Last edited:
You want school resources to be based even more on local wealth?

map-us.png

Week 1: Why America's Schools Have A Money Problem
More broadly: "You've got highly segregated rich and poor towns," says Bruce Baker of Rutgers University, who studies how states pay for their public schools. "[They] raise vastly different amounts of local revenue based on their local bases, and [Illinois] really doesn't put much effort into counterbalancing that."

To be fair, Illinois gives more money to Ridge than it does to Rondout. It's just not nearly enough to level the playing field.

Too bad having more money doesn't do much. The generation that sent people to the moon and created all kinds of new inventions and science went to schools that had only blackboards and chalk; today they have all kinds of gadgets, laptops, and other rubbish and they're producing mostly halfwits with high self-esteem.

Too bad having more money doesn't do much. The generation that sent people to the moon and created all kinds of new inventions and science went to schools that had only blackboards and chalk; today they have all kinds of gadgets, laptops, and other rubbish and they're producing mostly halfwits with high self-esteem.
Yeah, you want school resources to be determined by community wealth. Just come out and say it.

One of those other districts sits less than an hour north, in Chicago's affluent suburbs, nestled into a warren of corporate offices: Rondout School, the only campus in Rondout District 72.

It has 22 teachers and 145 students, and spent $28,639 on each one of them.

What does that look like?

Class sizes in Rondout are small, and every student has an individualized learning plan. Nearly all teachers have a decade of experience and earn, on average, more than $90,000. Kids have at least one daily break for "mindful movement," and lunch is cooked on-site, including a daily vegetarian option.

Yeah, you want school resources to be determined by community wealth. Just come out and say it.

One of those other districts sits less than an hour north, in Chicago's affluent suburbs, nestled into a warren of corporate offices: Rondout School, the only campus in Rondout District 72.

Class sizes in Rondout are small, and every student has an individualized learning plan. Nearly all teachers have a decade of experience and earn, on average, more than $90,000. Kids have at least one daily break for "mindful movement," and lunch is cooked on-site, including a daily vegetarian option.
I'll come out and say it.

IT is unconstitutional of the Federal Government to be involved in Education.

Let the States deal with it, if at all.

When the Government gets involved in education, the temptation to indoctrinate is too tempting.

Why do you think "education" is compulsory and not voluntary? Because what they have constructed is no longer education, it is indoctrination.

It is a fallacy to believe that MORE RESOURCES = BETTER EDUCATION. This first needs to be proved.

More Money Does Not Equal Better Public Schools

Few schools can't afford blackboards and chalk, dumbass.

Actually all school districts are independent locals, not state run, with the exception of universities and the like, just to clear up some confusion on who is nominally in control of public schools K1-K12.

You're assuming that's a result of teachers. I called home an unruly student last week. He shows no respect to myself, my classroom, to the other students, and flat out nobody. While I'm on the phone with his mom and I hear him yell at her "who's on the phone you bitch?!", and mom kind of chuckled it off...I realized in that precise moment that nothing I could do would ever make him respect anybody. He's a product of his upbringing. When parents raise a group of entitled kids, they're going to bring that entitlement to the classroom. Wen those entitled kids become adults (which we're starting to see), don't be surprised when they act in such a fashion in all walks of life, including school.

Last quarter I had a senior-an 18 year old student-demand that I give him a "B", despite him doing NO WORK. He told me the work was pointless and stupid...which even if that was the case, it's still illogical to expect a "B". I told him that's not fair to the students who put in effort and earn their "B's", and that that's not the way the world works. Mom was in the main office the following morning demanding to speak to me and explain why her kid had an "F". When I say he did no work-I literally mean he did no work. I told his mom that I'd show her example of his work and discuss with her, but that he's never handed any in so I didn't even have that to show her.

TLDR: Entitlement is an issue that transcends the school system.

One assumes yours couldn't afford science labs or libraries.

One assumes yours couldn't afford science labs or libraries.

Actually I did very well in science, microprocessor and assembly language programming, and worked in lasers and elector-optics and vacuum technology for many years, including international travel setting up communications and GPS networks in many countries; my last contract was setting up safety systems in Singapore's new LPG port, using lasers to monitor storage tanks' contractions and expansions in real time 3D to detect defects and formations of cracks and the like. Of course, your own use of 'logic' on this board points to you probably not even being able to make change for a dollar.

You're assuming that's a result of teachers. I called home an unruly student last week. He shows no respect to myself, my classroom, to the other students, and flat out nobody. While I'm on the phone with his mom and I hear him yell at her "who's on the phone you bitch?!", and mom kind of chuckled it off...I realized in that precise moment that nothing I could do would ever make him respect anybody. He's a product of his upbringing. When parents raise a group of entitled kids, they're going to bring that entitlement to the classroom. Wen those entitled kids become adults (which we're starting to see), don't be surprised when they act in such a fashion in all walks of life, including school.

Last quarter I had a senior-an 18 year old student-demand that I give him a "B", despite him doing NO WORK. He told me the work was pointless and stupid...which even if that was the case, it's still illogical to expect a "B". I told him that's not fair to the students who put in effort and earn their "B's", and that that's not the way the world works. Mom was in the main office the following morning demanding to speak to me and explain why her kid had an "F". When I say he did no work-I literally mean he did no work. I told his mom that I'd show her example of his work and discuss with her, but that he's never handed any in so I didn't even have that to show her.

TLDR: Entitlement is an issue that transcends the school system.

I'm aware of all that and more. It doesn't change the fact that teachers and their unions let admins get away with poor rules and stupid sociological experiments, and are their own worst enemies. I've met teachers that are barely educated themselves, complete airheads, had all the pop psychology crap down pat while not knowing squat about the subjects they're supposed to be teaching. Most are fine with kids being taught complete rubbish re American history as well.

I agree about parents being a big problem as well; the solution to that is of course expelling the little animals and let their parents worry about them; how many teachers will stand up to admins and fight for that, though? Probably very few.

Actually all school districts are independent locals, not state run, with the exception of universities and the like, just to clear up some confusion on who is nominally in control of public schools K1-K12.

Who really runs our schools?

Nice opinion piece; doesn't change the fact that all public schools are under local control, and no one has to take Federal money and subject themselves to Federal strings attached to the money.

Forum List

Back