Should Santorum and Gingrich drop out of this race?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by oreo, Mar 17, 2012.

?

Should Santorum and Gingrich drop out of this race?

Poll closed May 16, 2012.
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  2. No

25 vote(s)
    64.1%
  1. oreo

oreo Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150
    It looks like the writing is on the wall on these two candidates. Delegate math says there is no possible way for either of them to win--even if one of them dropped out. They would literally have to win California--and other Romney type states even to get within 200 delegates of Romney.

So the theory in some minds--is take enough delegates from Romney--so he doesn't reach the required 1144 delegates to secure the nomination and then let's have a brokered convention at the end of August-giving us only a little over two months to launch a campaign against Barack Obama.
    Even if this went all the way to the convention Santorum nor Gingrich would be picked. I don't believe that the GOP would disenfranchise the overall winner of delegates--so it would be a Romney nominee anyway.

Now while the WAR on WOMEN campaign is running full strength against the likes of Rick Santorum along with Rush Limbaugh's comments--it's more than clear to me that the longer Santorum and Gingrich stay in this race---the less time we have to form a solid base and stand behind a single candidate--the more campaign cash we run out of--and the odds of Santorum and Gingrich saying something that could be used to attack the GOP is much greater--and the LESS time we have to campaign against Barack Obama.

So while I have been a strong supporter of Newt Gingrich--I am throwing in the towel right now--and conceding the nomination to Mitt Romney.

In my opinion the worst thing that could happen is that Rick Santorum stays in this race. EXAMPLE: As some know Santorum has been an almost a continual nightly guest on the Greta Van Sustren (Fox News program). Donald Trump confronted Greta Van Sustren on FOX News about this last night--via telephone. I have never heard Trump raise his voice like this. When she asked him--what he thought of a Santorum nominee. He said you're kidding right? This man does not have any business experience--he has been a legislator all of his life--she interrupted him--and asked why he would lose to Obama--and he interrupted her and said WOMEN WILL NOT VOTE FOR SANTORUM. Greta looked stunned. I couldn't agree more with Trump's comment. Santorum is off the cliff when it comes to his Roman Catholic beliefs on birth control contraception, sonograms for women, etc. --and he is very vocal about it. The longer Santorum stays in this race--the more women voters we lose.

So -(in an effort to defeat Obama in November)--I think Gingrich (who I am a supporter of) and Rick Santorum should drop out of this race at this time.

Your thoughts?

2. Kevin_Kennedy

Kevin_Kennedy Defend Liberty

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,027
    Yes, along with Mitt Romney.

3. GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I prefer the brokered convention...

4. oreo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

There is absolutely nothing healthy about going to the end of August with a GOP fight. It will be used against us by the Obama reelection committee.

5. oreo

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,150

What do you expect to gain out of a brokered convention? The last time we had one--we lost in an all out landslide.

6. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    I also prefer a brokered convention.

7. occupied

occupied Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,732
    I prefer they stay in and show everyone just how far the GOP establishment is willing to go to get who they want.

8. sfcalifornia

sfcalifornia Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +496
    Should they drop out of the race?

Absolutely not, especially Santorum.

The longer Santorum stays in the race, the more idiotic he makes the GOP look.

For the Democrats, that's a good thing.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. GuyPinestra

GuyPinestra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I expect the GOP to get their collective ass handed to them, as they so richly deserve. Conservatives want a conservative candidate, not another big government, neocon, warmonger with a hard-on for the Constitution.

10. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,472
    Says who?