Should Republicans Go for More Minorities?

Perhaps I did go a bit overboard with "bringing the south to its knees" .. but germaine to the topic of this thread .. if the Republican Party has any chance of recruiting minorities, it will have to divest itself of everything confederate, including the confederate flag. No self-respecting African-American would sit through any discussion where that flag is displayed, nor would they entertain the idea there is anything noble or courageous about the wrong side of the Civil War.

I don't think we agree on what the "wrong side" of the Civil War was either.

"Should Republicans Go for More Minorities?"

IMO ................ no.
the bigger question should be, shouldnt more minorities go for the GOP

YES
they should find out the platforms and go for the one closest to what they believe

the bigger question should be, shouldnt more minorities go for the GOP

YES
they should find out the platforms and go for the one closest to what they believe

That is more in line with how I feel about it. I think the republican party needs to first find it's self, build it's platform and message, not based on what particular groups may want to hear, but, based on what they want the party to stand for. Then package it, market it, present it and hold true to it. Those who agree will join, those who don't, won't. It will succeed or fail on it's own merits, not by pandering to certain groups, that would be a phoney platform and would at some point crumble from within.

Your thoughts here may actually make sense in the insular world you seem to exist in, but in the real world it appears the rantings of a child-man.

Most were bribed? With what and who got paid? It is a mindlessly stupid thought and only meant for complete morons.

You say it's true and a fact .. prove it. .. You can't.

Bribes aren't neccessary when there are people like you on the other side.

The confederate flag is quite simply the garbage of losers. A pitiful sight in my opinion. The vestiges of horror that some southern backwoods idiots trump as some sort of "heritage." Laughable.

I live in Georgia and about the only places one sees displays of the confederate rag are in rural areas where no one else wants to live. It has been removed from the view of people with brains and relagated to pockets of the state where the neanderthals live .. a dying breed.

As southern states continue to get blacker and browner .. the day will soon come when that piece of trash will only be found in museums and in the pages of history under the title Ungodly Horror.

Nothing else to say about YOUR post other than I enjoyed responding to it .. just as I will enjoy any response you make.

Yeah right, whatever!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL Gotta love the ostriches.:eusa_whistle:

What Old Rocks said.

The distinction exists because the north/Old Glory recognized the evil and tried to get rid of it, while the south/confederate flag did not and determined that slavery was their God-given right.

Ironically, as christians, they were right about the christian God giving them the right to enslave.

Leviticus 25:44 (In red, directly from the lips of God) "You may take your slaves from the heathen nations around you" .. and goes on to say .. "And you may will them to your children like cattle."

I grew up wondering why God didn't know slavery was an ungodly act? .. Then I figured it out early in life ... God was not real.

True Christians don't even go by anything the Old Testament says. That part of the Bible is supposed to be used as a form of history and moral teaching and nothing more. The New Testament is the book of Christians, at least normal Chrsitians.

Last edited:
The economy of the south did not depend on slavery. Slave owners were a minority, not a majority, and they were, obviously, only the wealthiest of the south. Economist Thomas DiLorenzo, among others, has argued that by seceding the south basically made it so that slavery would no longer be profitable, because the north would no longer have to abide by the Fugitive Slave Act. Therefore slavery would have eventually phased itself out.

You're offering rationalizations for Old Glory and our society. If the Confederate flag represents slavery simply because the people that lived under that flag practiced slavery, then Old Glory deserves the same consideration.

Very well said!!!!:clap2:

while i can see some of their points as being valid, i dont support the use of the confederate flag at any party functions

Who does? I don't either, but I see nothing wrong with people having it personally. I think that most in this country go way overboard when it comes to PC crap and all. It makes me sick, to say the least.

Many of us aren't Republicans and never claimed to be. I am Independent and have voted for Dems and Pubs and now mostly just third party since the Dems and pubs are two sides of the same coin.

The confederate flag plays a large role in this nations history and I see no reason to hide it. We have several different national flags and the confederate flag is one of them. I suppose it all plays into ones personal insecurities as to how they view certain things.

A great many fine American's were born, raised and lived under that flag and many families have roots back to that time in our nations history. In our home we showcase remembrance to many national things, some are fond events to remember, some are not, but they all represent this nation. For me personally I accept the confederate flag in the same light and it too serves as a historical remembrance in honor of many great American's and a time in our nations past.

That is more in line with how I feel about it. I think the republican party needs to first find it's self, build it's platform and message, not based on what particular groups may want to hear, but, based on what they want the party to stand for. Then package it, market it, present it and hold true to it. Those who agree will join, those who don't, won't. It will succeed or fail on it's own merits, not by pandering to certain groups, that would be a phoney platform and would at some point crumble from within.

I love it and you are absolutely correct!!!!:clap2::clap2:

The economy of the south did not depend on slavery.

I think it most assurely did, Kevin.

By 1860 the Southern system has 4,000,000 slaves, and cotton (no longer tobacco) was king.

The majority of capitalization in the Southern economy existed in the form of slaves.

The South exported about 4,500,000 bales of cotton a year by 1860.

Slave owners were a minority, not a majority, and they were, obviously, only the wealthiest of the south.

One in four families in the South owned slaves.

Economist Thomas DiLorenzo, among others, has argued that by seceding the south basically made it so that slavery would no longer be profitable, because the north would no longer have to abide by the Fugitive Slave Act. Therefore slavery would have eventually phased itself out.

An interesting theory but not likely one we'll ever be able to test.

The fact is that the plantation system was becoming more profitable thanks to the cotton gin, and manufacturing advances (in England and the North) making Southern short fiber cotton THE fabric of the age.

If anything, the SOUTH would have spead the slave plantation system into the West precsiely because it was so profitable.

The confederate flag plays a large role in this nations history and I see no reason to hide it. We have several different national flags and the confederate flag is one of them. I suppose it all plays into ones personal insecurities as to how they view certain things.

A great many fine American's were born, raised and lived under that flag and many families have roots back to that time in our nations history. In our home we showcase remembrance to many national things, some are fond events to remember, some are not, but they all represent this nation. For me personally I accept the confederate flag in the same light and it too serves as a historical remembrance in honor of many great American's and a time in our nations past.

The confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of slavery and repression by tens of millions of americans, and I would guess by virtually every single black american. I think black americans view it in much the same way, that jewish americans view the Nazi flag.

The GOP can either choose to accept that fact, or they can choose to keep earning less than 10% of the african american vote.

Man, I debated with myself whether I should let you republicans in on a little secret, one that would help your party attract minorities. I know I'm gonna hate myself, but here it goes.

Do you know how dehumanizing it is to suggest a whole class of people are being bribed into voting for a party? That's really an attack on their character. And your not the only republican that pulls out this little talking point. Almost every republican in cyberspace does it. Its insulting to people of color to be told that they're being bribed. It makes them sound like children, who can be manipulated with a bag of candy.

And don't think they don't notice shit like this. Believe me they do. They notice when republicans defend flying the confederate flag over State capitols, or when republicans giggle about jokes about welfare moms.

Its dehumanizing. The confederate flag is an insult, and its a symbol of slavery.

How many Jewish american votes do you think the GOP would get, if you defended and glorified the Nazi swastika?

Do YOU realize how sheeplike it is that whole demographs of people ARE bribed into voting Democrat with offers of more handouts?

You really should take up the study of politics. And common sense. You repeatedly prove you have neither.

The confederate flag is a an insult and symbol of slavery? Only to dipweeds that spin it into that. What you call the "confederate flag" is actually a battle flag. It was NEVER the official flag of the Confederate States of America nor representative of anything but military units.

Guess how many rank and file Confederate troops owned slaves? About as many as there were rank and file troops from wealthy Northern families in the US military. Not many.

People like YOU have turned that flag into something it is NOT. But then, most of your posts should be in a creative writing section versus anything that contains actual fact.

I think it a GOOD thing that Americans can fly the stars and bars.

I think that is a good thing for exactly the same reason I think FREE SPEECH is a good thing.

Its helps us to know who the assholes are.

Do YOU realize how sheeplike it is that whole demographs of people ARE bribed into voting Democrat with offers of more handouts?

You really should take up the study of politics. And common sense. You repeatedly prove you have neither.

The confederate flag is a an insult and symbol of slavery? Only to dipweeds that spin it into that. What you call the "confederate flag" is actually a battle flag. It was NEVER the official flag of the Confederate States of America nor representative of anything but military units.

Guess how many rank and file Confederate troops owned slaves? About as many as there were rank and file troops from wealthy Northern families in the US military. Not many.

People like YOU have turned that flag into something it is NOT. But then, most of your posts should be in a creative writing section versus anything that contains actual fact.

Fine with me if you don't want to recognize that the confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of slavery by many people.

This entire thread is epitomized by conservatives claiming the confederacy were the "good guys"; that blacks would have been better off if the confederacy had either won the war, or been left alone, and conservatives ( and I include dixiecrats in the lexicon) have a long history of arguing against civil rights legislation, the MLK holiday, and generally being racially insensitive.

Suggesting that blacks are so child like, that they have to be bribed into voting Democratic is just one more example of racial insensitivity.

And yet you wonder why blacks vote against republicans in large numbers? Would you wonder why Jews voted against republicans, if the republican base were defending the Nazi flag, and claiming that the Nazis were the good guys? No, you wouldn't wonder. You would know exactly why they would vote against the GOP, given those conditions.

If you want to believe the confederate flag is a proud statement on an honorable period of american history, I won't dissuade you. I'm just telling you the facts: defense of the confederate flag, and defense of the confederacy in general is highly offensive to a lot of americans.

so was the term "black hole" people are offended cause they want to be offended. Being offended is a convenience for some.

Fine with me if you don't want to recognize that the confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of slavery by many people.

This entire thread is epitomized by conservatives claiming the confederacy were the "good guys"; that blacks would have been better off if the confederacy had either won the war, or been left alone, and conservatives ( and I include dixiecrats in the lexicon) have a long history of arguing against civil rights legislation, the MLK holiday, and generally being racially insensitive.

Suggesting that blacks are so child like, that they have to be bribed into voting Democratic is just one more example of racial insensitivity.

And yet you wonder why blacks vote against republicans in large numbers? Would you wonder why Jews voted against republicans, if the republican base were defending the Nazi flag, and claiming that the Nazis were the good guys? No, you wouldn't wonder. You would know exactly why they would vote against the GOP, given those conditions.

If you want to believe the confederate flag is a proud statement on an honorable period of american history, I won't dissuade you. I'm just telling you the facts: defense of the confederate flag, and defense of the confederacy in general is highly offensive to a lot of americans.

Well I can only speak for myself, since it seems that I'm being lumped into the group that defends the "evil Confederates."

The states that made up the Confederate States of America allowed slavery, that's a fact. There were also states that remained in the Union that allowed slavery, however. Where's the condemnation? Why didn't Lincoln, the "Great Emancipator," ride in on his white horse and free the slaves in his own country? Because he had no problem with slavery, and even supported an amendment to make slavery permanent in the states where it already existed.

So the Civil War cannot be looked at as a nation of free men vs. a nation of slave-owners.

The south left the Union to form a new government that would better protect their liberty, and they had every right to do so. If governments derived their power from the consent of the governed, as the founders of our nation believed, then is it not a logical conclusion that secession was a perfectly legitimate right of the free and independent states? If the Union no longer had the consent of the southern states, what right did the Union have to force them to adhere to it's laws? None.

That is why I am forced to defend the Confederate States of America, because they were unconstitutionally forced to submit to the will of the federal government that was never designed to be able to force the free and independent states to do anything.

That's what they say.

I don't know... what, exactly, is the motivation a black person has to vote GOP? Or a Hispanic or Asian? They've got the DEMOCRATS!

And please, DO NOT give me any crap about how blacks are "actually pretty conservative," because not liking homosexuals does not quite equate with "conservative." Or crap about how Hispanics have "family values" when all social indices say otherwise.

But, since that's what every single pundit's reaction to the Obama win was, I'm throwing it out for discussion.

No they should go for the Gays.

Why should I recognize what you and some other dummies choose to villify because you're dummies?

Project much? Who said accepting bribery is childlike? YOU. I wouldn't consider accepting cash as bribery childlike. I'd consider voting for the promise of "change" actually believing it's going to happen childlike.

For your edification: I have NEVER presented myself as ANYTHING BUT racially insensitive. I could really just give a fuck less what color anyone is. You can either hump your load AND some ammo or you can't.

I never stated the CSA was some proud moment in US history. I just prefer some reality to bullshit propaganda. I have a COnfederate Battle Flag for the simple reason that it pisses off goobers like YOU and gets you all worked up in faux, self-righteous indignation.

I understand what the facts are. People are offended by the Confederate Battle Flag because one, they're told it's THE flag of the CSA which it is not, and because they need an excuse to be offended about something because the sheepledog has decreed that all sheeple will be offended.

You don't even know what you're fighting for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycurgus

The confederate flag is viewed as a symbol of slavery and repression by tens of millions of americans, and I would guess by virtually every single black american. I think black americans view it in much the same way, that jewish americans view the Nazi flag.

The GOP can either choose to accept that fact, or they can choose to keep earning less than 10% of the african american vote.

I already addressed my opinion on this thread and the GOP. It was in a post different from the one you quoted. The above post of mine is strictly about the confederate flag, as it is written as such.

As far as the south goes or the confederates, a great deal more transpired there in our history than merely slavery. A great deal of it, unlike slavery were worthy events, people and happenings. Slavery is but one part, of many parts which make up the historical relevance and the current beauty of the south.

Forum List

Back