Should Republicans Go for More Minorities?

I would suggest that you at least take the few minutes it takes to google what I say before you challange it.

SEE: Kansas-Nebraska ACT.

The Republicans were certainly opposed to the expansion of slavery, but they had no issue with slavery where it already existed.

Not bothering to read a lot of the thread... just going to say a litle something

It should not be about "going after" any particular race, creed, etc... it should be based on the values, and appealing to any and all people (regardless of race, creed, etc) who fit those core values.. ensuring that the word is out how all people with conservative values are welcome, wanted, and needed

That's what they say.

I don't know... what, exactly, is the motivation a black person has to vote GOP? Or a Hispanic or Asian? They've got the DEMOCRATS!

And please, DO NOT give me any crap about how blacks are "actually pretty conservative," because not liking homosexuals does not quite equate with "conservative." Or crap about how Hispanics have "family values" when all social indices say otherwise.

But, since that's what every single pundit's reaction to the Obama win was, I'm throwing it out for discussion.

They have to, simple as that, whites will be in a minority in a couple decades if not sooner.

They typically try to appeal to hispanics for example on social issues, and will add immigration to the list of appeal issues.

The Republicans were certainly opposed to the expansion of slavery, but they had no issue with slavery where it already existed.

Yes they did.

Their plan was to concentrate on northern states where they would gain enough power to pressure southern states on slavery.

They didn't challange slavery on moral issues, but rather from the perspective of unpaid jobs and the effect it was having on white workers.

During Reconstruction and beyond, blacks were republicans.

Not bothering to read a lot of the thread... just going to say a litle something

It should not be about "going after" any particular race, creed, etc... it should be based on the values, and appealing to any and all people (regardless of race, creed, etc) who fit those core values.. ensuring that the word is out how all people with conservative values are welcome, wanted, and needed

If Obama filled his administration with all qualified black people .. no matter how qualified they may be .. I'm betting you'd have a different argument.

Yes they did.

Their plan was to concentrate on northern states where they would gain enough power to pressure southern states on slavery.

That must be why they supported a Constitutional amendment to make slavery a permanent fixture where it already existed.

They didn't challange slavery on moral issues, but rather from the perspective of unpaid jobs and the effect it was having on white workers.

I agree with this, they certainly saw no moral dilemma with slavery. Though to add to it, the Republicans were opposed to the expansion of slavery because it meant that Southern Democrats would get more power in Congress because of the Three-Fifths Clause.

During Reconstruction and beyond, blacks were republicans.

Yes, blacks were Republicans during Reconstruction. They were told they would be given property if they registered Republican, and were often threatened if they tried to register as a Democrat.

If Obama filled his administration with all qualified black people .. no matter how qualified they may be .. I'm betting you'd have a different argument.

Since WHEN have I EVER stated any support for racism or choice (or denial) by race?? I don't care if there fucking Aleutians, Black, Pygmy tribespeople from Brazil, or whatever...

It's the issues, stances, etc.... not anything to do with race

That must be why they supported a Constitutional amendment to make slavery a permanent fixture where it already existed.

That caused a split in the Republican Party .. but that is not where it began.

My statement was the Republican Party BEGAN as an anti-slavery party. It has gone through many iterations since that beginning.

I agree with this, they certainly saw no moral dilemma with slavery. Though to add to it, the Republicans were opposed to the expansion of slavery because it meant that Southern Democrats would get more power in Congress because of the Three-Fifths Clause.

Yes, blacks were Republicans during Reconstruction. They were told they would be given property if they registered Republican, and were often threatened if they tried to register as a Democrat.

Their biggest threat came from democrats, not republicans .. and that truth remained throughout the reign of the dixiecrats. The Klan was most often made up of democrats.

Blacks were elected to offices as republicans they have not achieved again to this day as democrats in the south.

Since WHEN have I EVER stated any support for racism or choice (or denial) by race?? I don't care if there fucking Aleutians, Black, Pygmy tribespeople from Brazil, or whatever...

It's the issues, stances, etc.... not anything to do with race

It's a hypothetical sir and it does not imply that you must be racist.

If Obama filled his cabinet with all black people I WOULD HAVE QUESTIONS. That doesn't make me racist, it demonstrates that I'm aware that qualified Americans come in all flavors and I recognize the value of government that looks like its people.

It's a hypothetical sir and it does not imply that you must be racist.

If Obama filled his cabinet with all black people I WOULD HAVE QUESTIONS. That doesn't make me racist, it demonstrates that I'm aware that qualified Americans come in all flavors and I recognize the value of government that looks like its people.
actually, I'm kind of surprised at his picks so far

but i agree with you, its the content of their character not the color of their skin that matters

The GoP is all over the place Lord Haw haw.

It is unfocused and directionless, it needs a message and a goal first before it wories about attracting minority voters.

See, I think this is just completely, 100 percent wrong.

"Values" are total bullshit. They're a flag under which races rally. Nobody comes together over "values." They come together over booty and blood.

Blacks don't give a crap about "liberalism" and whites don't give a crap about "conservatism." It's about race.

That's what they say.

I don't know... what, exactly, is the motivation a black person has to vote GOP? Or a Hispanic or Asian? They've got the DEMOCRATS!

And please, DO NOT give me any crap about how blacks are "actually pretty conservative," because not liking homosexuals does not quite equate with "conservative." Or crap about how Hispanics have "family values" when all social indices say otherwise.

But, since that's what every single pundit's reaction to the Obama win was, I'm throwing it out for discussion.

Well since your an obvious racist I see why you won't want minorities in your quest for White America. However, non-Latino whites make up 200 million of the 300 million Americans and shrinking! I voted for McCain (actually wanted Romney) and consider myself a fiscal conservative (but socially liberal). Republicans should go after Blacks and Latinos specifically in CA, the biggest state:
(1) Who is hurt most by illegal immigrations. Legal Latinos (who get lumped in with illegals to get lower pay), Blacks competing for some of the jobs illegals are taking like construction and the poor whites. The R do not go after any of these groups well!
(2) The hospitals are going under in CA and charging a ton because of illegal immigration! Again this hurts the poor black community (yes I know many aren't poor and are middle class, but the majority is poor) and poor latino communities
(3) CA as state is going bankrupt. Yes part of that can be placed in the national economy and poor state management, but prime force behind it is free healthcare, free education and free money via food stamps, welfare and section 8 to so many illegals (actually to too many people altogether, but that is another thread).
(4) Because minorities make up 100 million (1/3 of the population) and its predicted that in 2050 whites will be less than 50% of the population.

Conservative minority candidates must be competent first and foremost. Just tossing one up their because he or she is a minority is smart. There are some very good minority options: (1) Jindal -LS Governor (although I would like to see him do more before giving him the 2 thumbs up), (2) Colin Powell (don't let the Obama endorsement fool you he is very much a conservative), (3) Henry Bonilla (Former TX Mex-American House Rep - great guy), (4) There are bunch of good fiscal and immigration Cuban-American Candidate Congressman from FL.

If the republicans could get a hispanic jewish gay woman to run I think they would stand a chance, don't you WJ?

What would you and your "buddies" be saying in those hotel room meetings then?

Jews are too loyal to their party. See how quickly they turned on Liberman! Used to be the American Jews darling!

Man, I debated with myself whether I should let you republicans in on a little secret, one that would help your party attract minorities. I know I'm gonna hate myself, but here it goes.

Do you know how dehumanizing it is to suggest a whole class of people are being bribed into voting for a party? That's really an attack on their character. And your not the only republican that pulls out this little talking point. Almost every republican in cyberspace does it. Its insulting to people of color to be told that they're being bribed. It makes them sound like children, who can be manipulated with a bag of candy.

And don't think they don't notice shit like this. Believe me they do. They notice when republicans defend flying the confederate flag over State capitols, or when republicans giggle about jokes about welfare moms.

Its dehumanizing. The confederate flag is an insult, and its a symbol of slavery.

How many Jewish american votes do you think the GOP would get, if you defended and glorified the Nazi swastika?

I am sorry but you have gone out into left field, no pun intended! Most were bribed. Don't like it? Tough, because it is true and that is a fact.

The confederate flag, as you call it is not what you say it is just because you say it. It is not an insult except to people who are looking to be a victim, which the Dems are so good at pushing.

Nothing else to say about your post because it is so out in left field.

The Confederate flag is a symbol of rebellion against a tyrannical government, but it's true that many racists will cling to this flag because the Confederate states were slave states. However, if the Confederate flag is a symbol of slavery, then so is old glory.

No, you are completely wrong. Old Glory represents the blood that it took to make America a land of freedom for all our citizens. My great-grandfather fought under that flag at Fort Donaldson and Shiloh. The Confederate flag does represent slavery, for the economics that created the Civil War were all about slavery. The Southern States could not have had the class system in existance at that time without slavery.

See, I think this is just completely, 100 percent wrong.

"Values" are total bullshit. They're a flag under which races rally. Nobody comes together over "values." They come together over booty and blood.

Blacks don't give a crap about "liberalism" and whites don't give a crap about "conservatism." It's about race.

OK, we understand the sewer that your mind wallows in. But the great majority of the American People do not care to go there.

That's what they say.

Fat lot of good the Democratics have really been to them, eh?

Most people are basically conservative...sadly the Republican party most just talk about being conservative, just as the Democratic party gives lip service to caring about the working class.

The pundits apparently didn't look at who ALSO voted for Obama.

They apparently did not notice that Blacks didn't vote in number much larger than they normally do.

White people like me (in your head I guess that means traitors to my race) put Obama in office, William. We (mostly I suppose) did that because Bush proved to be the most incompent POTUS in US history and McCain appeared to offer more of same.

As to whether the Republican Party will pander to minorities?

I suspect their demographers are at least as competent as the Dem's demogrpahers are, don't you?

As this nation gets increasingly less White, I think we can expect to see BOTH parties catering to the concerns of non-White voters.

See?

This is at least one of the reasons that a parlimentary system might make sense.

In that system it would be possible (and likely) that splinter groups would be able to form parties with potential to vote in some national candidates who can really represent the values of smaller minorities, like for example, the smaller minority of people who are concerned about what happens to the White culture.

Of course, they'd be competing with other smaller splinter groups who'd be representing quite the opposite virews, too, but hey...that's politics.

Last edited:
In the end we are all minorities, and if sometimes life hits us hard, and we need a little help, I'm not sure why that is bad thing. Get off it and consider this brief moment of existence, why waste it looking at others for some bizarre sort of self justification.

Forum List

Back