CDZ Should prison guard unions be banned, to prevent the increase in for profit prisons?

Then I saw a transport officer lay the cell phone checked out to him for the transport on a counter top in the unit medical facility and walk away from it. One of the nurses looked at it, and then me and just shook her head. I took possession of it. Should have have just let them lock the unit down over it.

You cannot know how glad I am that I no longer work in that place.

I know a little. I have never been a CO. I had an offer some 13, 14,15 years ago. That is one of the most dangerous jobs to do. You can't trust the inmates, you can't trust the people you work with and you can't trust the people you work for. There is zip communication---like a lot. The male COs didn't like female COs. I'm 5'3"---I get it. It's the whole carry on an affair with a male CO for "protection" thing I didn't get. All of the above plus the stellar salary? I thought it would be much more productive if I just went into a bathroom with a box of razor blades.

All unions should be prevented in prisons, public or private.

Private prisons should be banned, period.

I think for-profit prison industry is a bad bad idea - to make profit off of human misery is wrong. Worse - it seems that it would encourage the creation of more prisons and more reasons to put people into prison rather than using alternative methods.

If unions encourage this - I would oppose them.

There have been a lot of expose's on the private prison industry lately that are very revealing - severely understaffed, undertrained, underpayed and violence is a lot higher in those institutions. Prisons are one area where you can't afford to cut corners.

I think for-profit prison industry is a bad bad idea - to make profit off of human misery is wrong. Worse - it seems that it would encourage the creation of more prisons and more reasons to put people into prison rather than using alternative methods.

I think you will find that the request for more prisons is due to overcrowding.

There is a disturbing trend across most of the Western world of private for profit prisons, I support privatisation but I don't support the privatisation of prisons.

So yes private prisons should be banned, I also I'm anti-Unions, so I think Unions should be banned, they historically have been in the control of those who line their own pockets at the expense of those who often are strong-armed and/or shamed into joining the Union and that sort of thing still happens today.

We agree on the banning of private prisons, but how in general are prisons "human misery"?

Prisons are institutions for punishment and for banishment from society either for a fixed period or for a lifetime period, the situation is if they don't want to have to endure that harsh treatment then they should think twice before committing crimes.

There are too many people in prison that shouldn't be in prison, that's why prisons are overcrowded.

I think prisons should only be for people who are a danger to society, armed robbery, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers, arsonists, murderers....of course I think that ALL rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers and murderers should be executed, but that's for a different thread.

So people who have not paid a fine or have stolen some food, what we can call minor crimes that are not a danger to society, these people should not be in prison, some type of community service would be a lot better instead of a custodial sentence. If you released all those people depending on the size of the prison population of the nation, you could immediately have available between 50,000 to several million prison places and with that you solve the prison overcrowding situation.

There are too many people in prison that shouldn't be in prison, that's why prisons are overcrowded.

I think prisons should only be for people who are a danger to society, armed robbery, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers, arsonists, murderers....of course I think that ALL rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers and murderers should be executed, but that's for a different thread.

So people who have not paid a fine or have stolen some food, what we can call minor crimes that are not a danger to society, these people should not be in prison, some type of community service would be a lot better instead of a custodial sentence. If you released all those people depending on the size of the prison population of the nation, you could immediately have available between 50,000 to several million prison places and with that you solve the prison overcrowding situation.

First of all there is a difference between jail and prison. You aren't going to prison for minor crimes unless it's a violation. You usually have multiple violations before you are sent back. There are a plethora of diversionary programs out there.

None of those people whom you say should not be in prison, were in the prison I worked at. Also, the prison I worked at was not over crowded, it seemed to always have about 50 beds available.

The convicts misery where I worked as all the result of being incarcerated. They were allowed many freedoms.

I have a friend and a family member who were COs.....they didn't last long, the job is a soul killer....

First of all there is a difference between jail and prison. You aren't going to prison for minor crimes unless it's a violation. You usually have multiple violations before you are sent back. There are a plethora of diversionary programs out there.

On my Continent, the European Continent we have private prisons and we also send people to prison for minor offences such as non payment of fines and if they have taken something from a shop etc.

In my opinion we are too liberal with putting people into prison for these minor crimes, they usually have short sentences of between three and six months.

There were funnies as well. This one female I worked with, Miss Jones was short. Very short, about 5 foot one. An older but still attractive woman. A few of the cons during one of my rounds told me they wanted her to come in the dorm, and I asked why. They said that they had a boyfriend for her. I said "WTF"? Then they said it's not what you think, and they showed me. Ok, so I went back out to the hallway and a con called Jones over and said they found a boyfriend for her. She was getting pissed, but then the convicts trotted out a convict that was one of the "Little people". He must have been 4 foot 3. I laughed my ass off. Jones told me to do something evil. LOL!

On my Continent, the European Continent we have private prisons and we also send people to prison for minor offences such as non payment of fines and if they have taken something from a shop etc.

In my opinion we are too liberal with putting people into prison for these minor crimes, they usually have short sentences of between three and six months.

Stealing is a serious crime Lucy Hamilton.

The convicts misery where I worked as all the result of being incarcerated. They were allowed many freedoms.

"The convicts misery where I worked as all the result of being incarcerated."

Which is why I commented if they don't want to go to prison, they shouldn't commit the crime that's going to result in them going to prison.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for convicted criminals who then whine about being in prison.

Stealing is a serious crime Lucy Hamilton.

Yes it is but it depends what you steal, if you do a jewel heist then you go to prison, if you steal food from a shop to feed yourself and/or your family then I don't think you should go to prison.

Depending on the state, you can get picked up on fines but the fines are related to the case or the prior case/s. Incarceration can literally boil down to the county someone is caught in.

So yes private prisons should be banned, I also I'm anti-Unions, so I think Unions should be banned, they historically have been in the control of those who line their own pockets at the expense of those who often are strong-armed and/or shamed into joining the Union and that sort of thing still happens today.

I absolutely disagree with that. If people paid attention to the money that is behind some of the massive changes rolled out it then it would be different. They don't. ANY part of the criminal justice system should have a union so that the people doing the job do not get caught up in the politics. The vast majority of the people working in it do not give a damn about the politics.............just want to do the job. Silence is mandatory.

If people don't give a hot damn about vague questionnaires that decide if someone qualifies as being released into society or if ankle monitors are tracking in real time then by all means unions who are watching these things need to be there.

I just watched a state decide the mentally ill needed to be removed from the state prisons and decided they should be shipped back to the counties as if there were better resources for the mentally ill there. There aren't. That whole mental health thang should have been squared away long before incarceration. People don't give a damn about that either.

So, until people do give a damn, unions are necessary.

I'm kind of of the opinion that the prison should be mainly for violent offenders and those who pose a threat to society. There are other methods of punishing non-violent offenders as well as reforming them. Short prison terms combined with other alternatives like community service or alternative methods entirely even. The one size fits all that seems to be the prevailing notion is one reason our country has the nebulous distinction of one of the largest proportions of our population in prison. When you add a profit motive - you have to ask - are we really doing the right thing by throwing them in jail or...is it to make money? :dunno:

Depending on the state, you can get picked up on fines but the fines are related to the case or the prior case/s. Incarceration can literally boil down to the county someone is caught in.

I absolutely disagree with that. If people paid attention to the money that is behind some of the massive changes rolled out it then it would be different. They don't. ANY part of the criminal justice system should have a union so that the people doing the job do not get caught up in the politics. The vast majority of the people working in it do not give a damn about the politics.............just want to do the job. Silence is mandatory.

If people don't give a hot damn about vague questionnaires that decide if someone qualifies as being released into society or if ankle monitors are tracking in real time then by all means unions who are watching these things need to be there.

I just watched a state decide the mentally ill needed to be removed from the state prisons and decided they should be shipped back to the counties as if there were better resources for the mentally ill there. There aren't. That whole mental health thang should have been squared away long before incarceration. People don't give a damn about that either.

So, until people do give a damn, unions are necessary.

I really hadn't thought about it that way, but you make a good point.

Forum List

Back