CDZ Should prison guard unions be banned, to prevent the increase in for profit prisons?

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
Government unions are pushing for profit prisons......should they be prohibited to prevent the spread of for profit prisons?

http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/02/are-for-profit-prisons-or-public-unions

But there's a far larger lobbies invested in large prison populations—corrections officers and their associated unions, whose bread and butter are the bodies the Post seems to worry only private prisons can "commodify," and police unions, whose jobs, too, are in part dependent on there being a demand to fill prisons up.

The California prison guards union, for example, poured millions of dollars to influence policy in California alone—it spent $22 million on campaign donations since 1989, more than CCA and GEO have combined, and continues to push for prison expansions. The National Fraternal Order of Police, meanwhile, spent $5 million on lobbying efforts since 1989, more than GEO did. That's not to mention the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, which includes a "Corrections Union" and lobbies on behalf of all kinds of policies that seek to turn citizens into revenue sources for public employees. They've spent $187 million on campaign donations since 1989, making a far stronger case to be labeled the biggest lobby nobody's talking about than private prisons.

The left's narrative wants to suggest that public unions spend money in politics simply to get better contract deals. While that, too, is morally problematic, it's also an incomplete account. Public unions also spend money to get policies passed that will increase the value of and need for their employees, policies that will naturally treat people like revenue sources.

Despite The Post's assertions, people are cluing in to for-profit prisons, opposition to which-especially of the CCA—seems to be becoming a cause du jour on the left. The way public unions push policies that seek to turn the governed into cash cows for government employees is a far less appreciated problem. In that way, private prisons are a distraction. It's not the CCA, but government employees at all levels, who have profited more, for example, from the drug war that's fueled the rise in the U.S. prison population. In a rare moment of honesty, Hillary Clinton admitted as much when she was secretary of state, saying the drug war couldn't be ended because "there is just too much money." The Clintons know a thing or two about how lucrative the business of government can be.

All unions should be prevented in prisons, public or private.

Private prisons should be banned, period.

imo

For America?

It's all for someone's profit anyway. Better to have both as the private sector gives a balance to the government and it's standards & regulations that can show stifling effects which the private sector will prove out.

Government unions are pushing for profit prisons......should they be prohibited to prevent the spread of for profit prisons?

Are For-Profit Prisons, or Public Unions, the Biggest Lobby No One’s Talking About?

But there's a far larger lobbies invested in large prison populations—corrections officers and their associated unions, whose bread and butter are the bodies the Post seems to worry only private prisons can "commodify," and police unions, whose jobs, too, are in part dependent on there being a demand to fill prisons up.

The California prison guards union, for example, poured millions of dollars to influence policy in California alone—it spent $22 million on campaign donations since 1989, more than CCA and GEO have combined, and continues to push for prison expansions. The National Fraternal Order of Police, meanwhile, spent $5 million on lobbying efforts since 1989, more than GEO did. That's not to mention the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, which includes a "Corrections Union" and lobbies on behalf of all kinds of policies that seek to turn citizens into revenue sources for public employees. They've spent $187 million on campaign donations since 1989, making a far stronger case to be labeled the biggest lobby nobody's talking about than private prisons.

The left's narrative wants to suggest that public unions spend money in politics simply to get better contract deals. While that, too, is morally problematic, it's also an incomplete account. Public unions also spend money to get policies passed that will increase the value of and need for their employees, policies that will naturally treat people like revenue sources.

Despite The Post's assertions, people are cluing in to for-profit prisons, opposition to which-especially of the CCA—seems to be becoming a cause du jour on the left. The way public unions push policies that seek to turn the governed into cash cows for government employees is a far less appreciated problem. In that way, private prisons are a distraction. It's not the CCA, but government employees at all levels, who have profited more, for example, from the drug war that's fueled the rise in the U.S. prison population. In a rare moment of honesty, Hillary Clinton admitted as much when she was secretary of state, saying the drug war couldn't be ended because "there is just too much money." The Clintons know a thing or two about how lucrative the business of government can be.
/--- I have two friends who worked on Rickers Island. With what they put up with from both the population and their supervisors they need a union.

I don't know.

I do know the prison I worked for was a for profit prison, and it was horrible, management wise. Over half the officers and most of the supervisors would not follow policy and routinely violated security procedures day in and day out. This situation is why I agreed to work in the segregation unit because I did not have to work with any of them.

Are For-Profit Prisons, or Public Unions, the Biggest Lobby No One’s Talking About?

I read the WAPO article. This is one of the weakest responses that I have ever read. But... but... but... unions are the problem. It's unions that are making sure there is a war on drugs....it's the police union too that need the prisons

That's some BS. That's called..........awe....WAPO smacked Rubio.

The CCA and GEO actually write legislation via ALEC for their benefit.

I think blaming the unions is probably the wrong idea.

Are you against privatized prisons and for big government?

Personally I think privatized prisons and even police forces (Yes, Union Pacific, that's you I'm talking about) are a questionable idea at best even if I have little knowledge of anything nefarious the U.P. has done with their police force lately.

There is no such thing as totally "public" prison. A large portion of services are contracted out. INCLUDING some staff positions, and critical daily services. Govt don't need to build and own the real estate. If it were MANAGED properly -- either would work fine.

CCA and GEO are notoriously understaffed and underpaid. Their people aren't trained as well and when they get sued tax payers cover the cost. Finally, they will often use inmates to clean outside and it makes it very easy for people to leave contraband for them to pick up. CCA and GEO will have to cover the cost of medical care so they aren't keen on sending inmates to the hospital.

While WAPO is determined to pretend this is all brand spanking new, this argument has been going on since the '90s. It's actually more expensive with private prisons.

CCA and GEO are notoriously understaffed and underpaid. Their people aren't trained as well and when they get sued tax payers cover the cost. Finally, they will often use inmates to clean outside and it makes it very easy for people to leave contraband for them to pick up. CCA and GEO will have to cover the cost of medical care so they aren't keen on sending inmates to the hospital.

While WAPO is determined to pretend this is all brand spanking new, this argument has been going on since the '90s. It's actually more expensive with private prisons.
This is exactly how lots of contraband enters the prison, that and the officers not searching them and or searching them properly them like they are required to do.

Prisoner transport is the most dangerous thing an officer can do. Transport is supposed to come as a surprise to the inmate population, but when stupid officers, or accomplice officers, run their mouths about upcoming transports in front of the convicts, plans can be put in place for that convict to be paid back, or freed during the transport. Joe convict hears officer dumb ass saying that jimmy convict is being taken to Mercy hospital in 2 hours. Joe convict calls a friend from the convict phone and tells someone "that a friend" is going to the hospital. Other scum can then show up and kill him or free him.Then you have stupid officers who allow convicts to use the phone in hospitals, and ignorant medical staff who allow it. Then you have totally ignorant medical staff in hospitals that complain about you refusing to help a convict be unloaded form a transport van at the hospital. Now, why on earth would I want to go near that convict while I am carrying a firearm?

Prisoner transport is the most dangerous thing an officer can do. Transport is supposed to come as a surprise to the inmate population, but when stupid officers, or accomplice officers, run their mouths about upcoming transports in front of the convicts, plans can be put in place for that convict to be paid back, or freed during the transport. Joe convict hears officer dumb ass saying that jimmy convict is being taken to Mercy hospital in 2 hours. Joe convict calls a friend from the convict phone and tells someone "that a friend" is going to the hospital. Other scum can then show up and kill him or free him.Then you have stupid officers who allow convicts to use the phone in hospitals, and ignorant medical staff who allow it. Then you have totally ignorant medical staff in hospitals that complain about you refusing to help a convict be unloaded form a transport van at the hospital. Now, why on earth would I want to go near that convict while I am carrying a firearm?

Or the medical staff pitches a bitch because Joe convict is cuffed. Family members showing up at the hospital is is a big one.

I agree transporting is dangerous. You can't even put the plans in motion if you don't have the staff to transport.

This is exactly how lots of contraband enters the prison, that and the officers not searching them and or searching them properly them like they are required to do.

And in a few instances there are so few staff that not only are some of the officers cutting corners there is a fair bit of negotiating for safety (for lack of a better term) that goes on.

One doctor "ordered" me to remove restraints from a convict. I told him to put it writing. He was mad and said he would have my job. I told him what I thought. Then my security chief calls me and tells me to remove the cuffs so I did. Dr. just glared at me. I privately told the doctor that if the convict attacks him, I won't shoot the convict until after he has killed you. Called me to the office on that one.

And in a few instances there are so few staff that not only are some of the officers cutting corners there is a fair bit of negotiating for safety (for lack of a better term) that goes on.
A person I still talk to that works there told me that they were so short a few years ago that they had ONE employee in housing units with over 100 convicts.

Then I saw a transport officer lay the cell phone checked out to him for the transport on a counter top in the unit medical facility and walk away from it. One of the nurses looked at it, and then me and just shook her head. I took possession of it. Should have have just let them lock the unit down over it.

You cannot know how glad I am that I no longer work in that place.

You would think that of all the professionals out there that a doctor would grasp documentation. Were there any repercussions?

A person I still talk to that works there told me that they were so short a few years ago that they had ONE employee in housing units with over 100 convicts.

That's insane.

Forum List

Back