CDZ Should prison guard unions be banned, to prevent the increase in for profit prisons?

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by 2aguy, Apr 29, 2017.

1. 2aguy

2aguy Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,034
    Government unions are pushing for profit prisons......should they be prohibited to prevent the spread of for profit prisons?

http://reason.com/blog/2015/06/02/are-for-profit-prisons-or-public-unions

But there's a far larger lobbies invested in large prison populations—corrections officers and their associated unions, whose bread and butter are the bodies the Post seems to worry only private prisons can "commodify," and police unions, whose jobs, too, are in part dependent on there being a demand to fill prisons up.

The California prison guards union, for example, poured millions of dollars to influence policy in California alone—it spent $22 million on campaign donations since 1989, more than CCA and GEO have combined, and continues to push for prison expansions. The National Fraternal Order of Police, meanwhile, spent $5 million on lobbying efforts since 1989, more than GEO did. That's not to mention the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees, which includes a "Corrections Union" and lobbies on behalf of all kinds of policies that seek to turn citizens into revenue sources for public employees. They've spent $187 million on campaign donations since 1989, making a far stronger case to be labeled the biggest lobby nobody's talking about than private prisons.

The left's narrative wants to suggest that public unions spend money in politics simply to get better contract deals. While that, too, is morally problematic, it's also an incomplete account. Public unions also spend money to get policies passed that will increase the value of and need for their employees, policies that will naturally treat people like revenue sources.

Despite The Post's assertions, people are cluing in to for-profit prisons, opposition to which-especially of the CCA—seems to be becoming a cause du jour on the left. The way public unions push policies that seek to turn the governed into cash cows for government employees is a far less appreciated problem. In that way, private prisons are a distraction. It's not the CCA, but government employees at all levels, who have profited more, for example, from the drug war that's fueled the rise in the U.S. prison population. In a rare moment of honesty, Hillary Clinton admitted as much when she was secretary of state, saying the drug war couldn't be ended because "there is just too much money." The Clintons know a thing or two about how lucrative the business of government can be.

2. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,252
    All unions should be prevented in prisons, public or private.

Private prisons should be banned, period.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Toro

Toro Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +36,729
  4. Fenton Lum

Fenton Lum Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,737
    Banning the profiteeriing from bondage should be reinstated.

5. Ropey

Ropey String tension is not infinite. Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,168
    imo

For America?

It's all for someone's profit anyway. Better to have both as the private sector gives a balance to the government and it's standards & regulations that can show stifling effects which the private sector will prove out.

6. Cellblock2429

Cellblock2429 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,003
    /--- I have two friends who worked on Rickers Island. With what they put up with from both the population and their supervisors they need a union.

7. miketx

miketx Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,620
    I don't know.

I do know the prison I worked for was a for profit prison, and it was horrible, management wise. Over half the officers and most of the supervisors would not follow policy and routinely violated security procedures day in and day out. This situation is why I agreed to work in the segregation unit because I did not have to work with any of them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Disir

Disir Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,794
    I read the WAPO article. This is one of the weakest responses that I have ever read. But... but... but... unions are the problem. It's unions that are making sure there is a war on drugs....it's the police union too that need the prisons

That's some BS. That's called..........awe....WAPO smacked Rubio.

The CCA and GEO actually write legislation via ALEC for their benefit.

9. Toronado3800

Toronado3800 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +560
    I think blaming the unions is probably the wrong idea.

Are you against privatized prisons and for big government?

Personally I think privatized prisons and even police forces (Yes, Union Pacific, that's you I'm talking about) are a questionable idea at best even if I have little knowledge of anything nefarious the U.P. has done with their police force lately.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. flacaltenn

flacaltenn USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +20,738
    There is no such thing as totally "public" prison. A large portion of services are contracted out. INCLUDING some staff positions, and critical daily services. Govt don't need to build and own the real estate. If it were MANAGED properly -- either would work fine.