CDZ Should prison guard unions be banned, to prevent the increase in for profit prisons?

All unions should be prevented in prisons, public or private.

Private prisons should be banned, period.

I think for-profit prison industry is a bad bad idea - to make profit off of human misery is wrong. Worse - it seems that it would encourage the creation of more prisons and more reasons to put people into prison rather than using alternative methods.

If unions encourage this - I would oppose them.

I think you will find that the request for more prisons is due to overcrowding.

That in and of itself should tell us there is something wrong in our justice/corrections system.

I think for-profit prison industry is a bad bad idea - to make profit off of human misery is wrong. Worse - it seems that it would encourage the creation of more prisons and more reasons to put people into prison rather than using alternative methods.

There are too many people in prison that shouldn't be in prison, that's why prisons are overcrowded.

I think prisons should only be for people who are a danger to society, armed robbery, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers, arsonists, murderers....of course I think that ALL rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers and murderers should be executed, but that's for a different thread.

So people who have not paid a fine or have stolen some food, what we can call minor crimes that are not a danger to society, these people should not be in prison, some type of community service would be a lot better instead of a custodial sentence. If you released all those people depending on the size of the prison population of the nation, you could immediately have available between 50,000 to several million prison places and with that you solve the prison overcrowding situation.

First of all there is a difference between jail and prison. You aren't going to prison for minor crimes unless it's a violation. You usually have multiple violations before you are sent back. There are a plethora of diversionary programs out there.

On my Continent, the European Continent we have private prisons and we also send people to prison for minor offences such as non payment of fines and if they have taken something from a shop etc.

In my opinion we are too liberal with putting people into prison for these minor crimes, they usually have short sentences of between three and six months.

I'm kind of of the opinion that the prison should be mainly for violent offenders and those who pose a threat to society. There are other methods of punishing non-violent offenders as well as reforming them. Short prison terms combined with other alternatives like community service or alternative methods entirely even. The one size fits all that seems to be the prevailing notion is one reason our country has the nebulous distinction of one of the largest proportions of our population in prison. When you add a profit motive - you have to ask - are we really doing the right thing by throwing them in jail or...is it to make money? :dunno:
Habitual thieves should be locked away.

We agree on the banning of private prisons, but how in general are prisons "human misery"?

Prisons are institutions for punishment and for banishment from society either for a fixed period or for a lifetime period, the situation is if they don't want to have to endure that harsh treatment then they should think twice before committing crimes.

I see prisons a bit differently:
Protect society first and formost.
Punishment
Rehabilitation

You need rehabilitation to prevent the constant cycle of ending up back in prison. If punishment can be done without prison, then it might be more effective for certain crimes.

There are too many people in prison that shouldn't be in prison, that's why prisons are overcrowded.

I think prisons should only be for people who are a danger to society, armed robbery, rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers, arsonists, murderers....of course I think that ALL rapists, paedophiles, drug dealers and murderers should be executed, but that's for a different thread.

So people who have not paid a fine or have stolen some food, what we can call minor crimes that are not a danger to society, these people should not be in prison, some type of community service would be a lot better instead of a custodial sentence. If you released all those people depending on the size of the prison population of the nation, you could immediately have available between 50,000 to several million prison places and with that you solve the prison overcrowding situation.

First of all there is a difference between jail and prison. You aren't going to prison for minor crimes unless it's a violation. You usually have multiple violations before you are sent back. There are a plethora of diversionary programs out there.

On my Continent, the European Continent we have private prisons and we also send people to prison for minor offences such as non payment of fines and if they have taken something from a shop etc.

In my opinion we are too liberal with putting people into prison for these minor crimes, they usually have short sentences of between three and six months.

I'm kind of of the opinion that the prison should be mainly for violent offenders and those who pose a threat to society. There are other methods of punishing non-violent offenders as well as reforming them. Short prison terms combined with other alternatives like community service or alternative methods entirely even. The one size fits all that seems to be the prevailing notion is one reason our country has the nebulous distinction of one of the largest proportions of our population in prison. When you add a profit motive - you have to ask - are we really doing the right thing by throwing them in jail or...is it to make money? :dunno:

Habitual thieves should have their right hand chopped off and then locked away.

Are you Serbian Catholic? They mirror the Islamic legal constructs much of the time.

By all means yes they should be banned. In fact the should be a ban on all unions for government employees, from the local level to the Federal level.
Police and teacher unions included. If you work for the government that it should be illegal for you to belong to a union,

Are you Serbian Catholic? They mirror the Islamic legal constructs much of the time.

No Austrian Roman Catholic but now Orthodox Christian, but when Francis is no longer in The Vatican I'll return to Roman Catholicism.

The right hand chopped off is optional, just locking them away would be good enough.

We agree on the banning of private prisons, but how in general are prisons "human misery"?

Prisons are institutions for punishment and for banishment from society either for a fixed period or for a lifetime period, the situation is if they don't want to have to endure that harsh treatment then they should think twice before committing crimes.

Punishment
Rehabilitation

You need rehabilitation to prevent the constant cycle of ending up back in prison. If punishment can be done without prison, then it might be more effective for certain crimes.

You also need to consider though that some are not able to be rehabilitated, which is why you have repeat offenders who are in and out of prison.

I'm not sure if you still have this Three Strikes law? On the third offence they get life in prison, how does that work, what if the third offence is a very very minor crime, for example a car parking violation, they park the car where a car isn't allowed to be parked, would that get them life in prison or does it have to be a more serious crime?

That in and of itself should tell us there is something wrong in our justice/corrections system.

You can't just blame the justice system, you also have to look at the root cause of most criminal behaviour and that's upbringing, the environment they have been brought up in and also the school environment they were in.

Most parents teach their children right from wrong and most teachers are supposed to also help with a childs moral compass.

Of course some people have criminal DNA, meaning many members of their family have also committed crimes and been in and out of prison.

Punishment
Rehabilitation

I also think that drug addicts should not be in prison, drug addicts have an illness, just like alcoholism and if they haven't committed a violent crime they should be in special hospitals to help them with their addiction.

Prison does not contribute anything to the underlining problem, which is their addiction.

Drug dealers should be in prison, in an ideal situation they would be executed, these slugs are useless on every level to any society.

There are also alternatives to prison for young offenders, such as community based programmes, where you could have responsible adults as mentors to young offenders, the mentors could even be retired people in their 60s and 70s, they would build relationships with the young offenders and help them make better decisions about how to lead their lives more positively and be more productive to their community.

The young offenders who have discipline problems should be sent to boot camps, this would help them not only with discipline but also general anger management and also self-esteem.

Punishment
Rehabilitation

I also think that drug addicts should not be in prison, drug addicts have an illness, just like alcoholism and if they haven't committed a violent crime they should be in special hospitals to help them with their addiction.

Prison does not contribute anything to the underlining problem, which is their addiction.

Drug dealers should be in prison, in an ideal situation they would be executed, these slugs are useless on every level to any society.

There are also alternatives to prison for young offenders, such as community based programmes, where you could have responsible adults as mentors to young offenders, the mentors could even be retired people in their 60s and 70s, they would build relationships with the young offenders and help them make better decisions about how to lead their lives more positively and be more productive to their community.

The young offenders who have discipline problems should be sent to boot camps, this would help them not only with discipline but also general anger management and also self-esteem.

We've been developing special mental illness and drug offender courts, so they don't end up in the prison system.

Right now, far too many mentally ill people end up in prison, where they are untreated and often abused. Corrections officers aren't equipt to deal with them. Guards Cut the Water and a Mentally Ill Prisoner Died of Dehydration. Now, They Could Face Charges.

So, the Supreme Court said.

There is something wrong in the prevention system.

If you know that jobs reduce crime then reducing massive illegal immigration is beneficial.
If you know that about 1/3 of the prison population is mentally ill--psychotic-- then mental health and medication is beneficial and should have been acquired before they even came to the system. Instead this is most often the first time they receive treatment.
If you know that an education can make all the difference in the world in many cases then you focus on that. That means that you take a hard look at where the education system is at and why they bounce kids before testing time.
If you know that the individual you are dealing with will without a doubt go out and commit another crime when released then serving the full sentence is worth it. Before the next 3 year old is shot in the head playing outside.
If you know that the mentally ill person will hit the outside and not have access to mental health and medication then might want to get that rolling.
If you know that ankle monitors aren't going to be monitored then do not release offenders. If your city or state has hired a company to do that monitoring and the inmate cannot or will not pay the fees and that company cancels that "service" then it's time to rethink the plan.
Prevention.
Society seems to have this magic wand thing going on. They want a group of people to repair generational physical and sexual abuse, teach coping skills, fix mental illness, put them on the path to recovery and BAM........you are healed. Go forth and sin no more. AND considering they are forced to be in one place it is almost possible but......you would need funding.

The reality is all of those services and programs don't exist on the outside and what does exist is inadequate. Because there is no established criteria or it's vague enough that it is pointless..........but those black tie balls are fun and people can pat themselves on the back, give touching speeches.

Punishment
Rehabilitation

We've been developing special mental illness and drug offender courts, so they don't end up in the prison system.

Right now, far too many mentally ill people end up in prison, where they are untreated and often abused. Corrections officers aren't equipt to deal with them. Guards Cut the Water and a Mentally Ill Prisoner Died of Dehydration. Now, They Could Face Charges.
Something is not kosher here.When I worked seg we routinely cut off water from convicts who were out of control. However the procedure for it was it was to be turned on every hour for 5 minutes and then back off. Plus they got three meals a day with a drink. So in my case the water restriction allowed the pos ample opportunities to refill his toilet and sling urine and feces at you. Don't believe all the crap you read in rags about things like this.

Punishment
Rehabilitation

Something is not kosher here.When I worked seg we routinely cut off water from convixts who were out of control. However the procedure for it was it was to be turned on every hour for 5 minutes and then back off. Pluse they got three meals a day with a drink. So in my case the water restriction allowed the pos ample opportunities to refill his toilet and sling urine and feces at you. Don't believe all the crap you read in rags about things like this.

I think it depends on the jail/prison doesn't it? You have an interesting insight into it - having to work it :)

Punishment
Rehabilitation

Something is not kosher here.When I worked seg we routinely cut off water from convixts who were out of control. However the procedure for it was it was to be turned on every hour for 5 minutes and then back off. Pluse they got three meals a day with a drink. So in my case the water restriction allowed the pos ample opportunities to refill his toilet and sling urine and feces at you. Don't believe all the crap you read in rags about things like this.

I think it depends on the jail/prison doesn't it? You have an interesting insight into it - having to work it :)

No. There are no policy where denying food or water causing death is allowed in any US prison. Procedures are in place with major oversight to prevent these kinds of things. For it to happen, The warden would have to look the other way, the asst. warden would have to look the other way. The Major would have to look the other way, the captain, Lt's, sgts and all shift duty officers and medical staff would have to look the other way. Plus the convicts would all have to look the other way. All of the above staff are required to tour seg multiple times a day. SOMEONE would have noticed. Medical staff is required to visit each cell several times a day, with different staff. If I were to find an unresponsive offender during one of my mandatory 30 minute walk throughs, I have to call for assistance immediately. If I did not, the next supervisor through would see it and call. Like I say, there's something rotten in this article.

If you want to believe this, by all means go ahead. But the reality of the treatment of offenders is not as bad as many uneducated and un-experienced want to believe.

If I had caught something like this, I would have ratted it out immediately and so would many of the other staff I worked with at the officer level. We weren't all simple mined yokels chewing hayseed.

Last edited:
Punishment
Rehabilitation

No. There are no policy where denying food or water causing death is allowed in any US prison. Procedures are in place with major oversight to prevent these kinds of things. For it to happen, The warden would have to look the other way, the asst. warden would have to look the other way. The Major would have to look the other way, the captain, Lt's, sgts and all shift duty officers and medical staff would have to look the other way. Plus the convicts would all have to look the other way. All of the above staff are required to tour seg multiple times a day. SOMEONE would have noticed. Medical staff is required to visit each cell several times a day, with different staff. If I were to find an unresponsive offender during one of my mandatory 30 minute walk throughs, I have to call for assistance immediately. If I did not, the next supervisor through would see it and call. Like I say, there's something rotten in this article.

If you want to believe this, by all means go ahead. But the reality of the treatment of offenders is not as bad as many uneducated and un-experienced want to believe.

If I had caught something like this, I would have ratted it out immediately and so would many of the other staff I worked with at the officer level. We weren't all simple mined yokels chewing hayseed.

What if they were extremely understaffed? That is a chronic problem in some prisons isn't it? Could something have slipped through? One thing the article noted is that the prisoner might not have been able to make his needs known - that he was in the throes of a breakdown. Someone who is in a psychotic condition might not be able to communicate well. IMO - mentally ill individuals like that do not belong in the prison system - but should be shunted into a secure hospital facility.

They were understaffed that night. They have been understaffed for quite awhile. Clarke went on a hiring spree. It's a pretty high turnover rate. You can't just hire them and train them.......... they have to stay. It's a jail not a prison.

The Lt. gave the order to shut the water off until he calmed down. She called the other two COs and they reported he was fine. She was the only Lt on floors 1-6. She did not return to see him and took the COs word. There were two other mentally ill inmates that she was contending with. She did not document it. Now, if she was busy she could have documented 30 different incidents but forgot to document that one. The other two did not document it either. Had that documentation been there then the next shift would have seen it.

We don't know because none of the articles I have come across provided that information.

There was something to do with the keys and it was enough for them to change policy.

I have never lived or worked in Milwaukee but if it is like the rest of the nation then the hospitals will not accept him.The guy shot someone and then went to a casino and fired a couple rounds there.

The mentally ill belong in mental hospitals not prisons.

MikeTx, and all security prison personnel, have an awful job. The environment is terrible, the pay is not worth it (and I have no idea about benefitis), but the fact is our society has permitted our LEO to be the first line of interaction far too often with the mentally ill. With the profession and infrastructure set up as it is, where else are they going to go?

What if they were extremely understaffed? That is a chronic problem in some prisons isn't it? Could something have slipped through? One thing the article noted is that the prisoner might not have been able to make his needs known - that he was in the throes of a breakdown. Someone who is in a psychotic condition might not be able to communicate well. IMO - mentally ill individuals like that do not belong in the prison system - but should be shunted into a secure hospital facility.

Yeah, it is possible they were extremely understaffed. But day shift has all the admin on shift. If all of these people did not catch it, then something would have to be TERRIBLY wrong. The oversight is staggering! They have video, signed written ledgers, plus, the convicts. Believe it or not the convicts are a form of oversight. If someone is in danger from staff in a cell they will raise hell.

In the seg I worked in everyone who came in had to sign in and out with the times. I had to verify their ID's even if I knew who they were. People I did not recognize were not admitted. Auditors come in about every six months and pour over all the paperwork and ledgers trying to find find stuff wrong.

Forum List

Back