Should Mitt Romney emphasize his Mexican heritage for the Hispanic vote?

The fact that his family roots pass through Mexico would do him no good with Americans of Hispanic extraction since he carries no Hispanic blood or characteristics, would be an obvious pander to them, and could only hurt him with the main body of the voter pool.

Further, it would serve to draw attention to his polygamist background which is a tremendous negative to the 'values voter' in the rep party.

What are Hispanic "characteristics", there are Hispanics of every shade and color.
You know. The usual.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkO9fVBky0I]Frito Bandito 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Ok apparently Mitt Romney's father was born in Mexico, according to Mexican law that gives Mitt Romney the option to claim dual citizenship with Mexico if he pleases. Should Romney mention this in his campaign to try and swing some Hispanic votes his way? I haven't really heard him mention it yet.
Should we now expect Mitt Romney to become the next target of the "birthers" - or is that dubious "honor" reserved exclusively for Barrack Obama?

I highly doubt that many Roman Catholic Hispanics can identify with Mitt's great-grandfather, Miles Park Romney, and his migration to Mexico to escape US persecution for his polygamy/'plural marriage.'

Given Romney's current "hardline" approach concerning illegal immigration, it is also highly doubtful that he will receive many Hispanic votes in 2012

According to the 2010 US Census Bureau, Hispanic/Latino Americans account for 16.3% of the population. Combined with Black Americans (12.6%), it can be assumed that approximately 29% of America electorate is already strongly predisposed not to vote for a Republican presiden like Romney.

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Last edited:
Oh right... I forgot he was born in the States. Woops, my bad. But he did live in Mexico for much of his early life and Spanish is his first Language.

His father may be Hungarian, but Louis CK has actual Indigenous Mexican blood in him from his Grandmother.

Most of his cousins look nothing like him skin color wise. They look like Indigenous Mexicans.

The guy is pretty authentically Mexican, yes.
yea he is an Authentic Mexican......:eusa_eh:......the guy who lives next door to me is an AUTHENTIC Mexican.......Louis CK spent 7 years there and has what......a few drops of Mexican Blood in him......that does not make him a AUTHENTIC Mexican.....

A few drops of Mexican Blood?

And sure it does. Dude's entire family is from Mexico, his first language is Spanish, his lineage is Hungarian and Indigenous Mexican only as far back as his grandparents. That makes him pretty genuinely Mexican in my book.

What's your definition of authentic Mexican hombre?

his lineage is also Irish....dont forget he has a Mother who is not from Mexico.....an authentic Mexican is a person who is 100% Mexican and was born and raised there.....and if you dont believe me.....ask one....im sure they will tell you the same thing....

yea he is an Authentic Mexican......:eusa_eh:......the guy who lives next door to me is an AUTHENTIC Mexican.......Louis CK spent 7 years there and has what......a few drops of Mexican Blood in him......that does not make him a AUTHENTIC Mexican.....

And sure it does. Dude's entire family is from Mexico, his first language is Spanish, his lineage is Hungarian and Indigenous Mexican only as far back as his grandparents. That makes him pretty genuinely Mexican in my book.

his lineage is also Irish....dont forget he has a Mother who is not from Mexico.....an authentic Mexican is a person who is 100% Mexican and was born and raised there.....and if you dont believe me.....ask one....im sure they will tell you the same thing....

A person who is born and raised there? Fucking please. That's not what is required to be an American. Next thing you know you'll be telling me that a person with black and white grandparents, and a mixed and white parents can't consider themselves to be black... because they're not 100% pure.

That sounds like some straight up race purity bullshit to me... and certainly not the definition of what it means to be part of an ethnic identity.

The dude has Mexican citizenship, he has actual indigenous Mexican ancestry(even if not, that's not criteria), he speaks Spanish as a first language. He's a Mexican. Why the fucking ridiculous standards of what it takes to be Mexican? You wouldn't place the same type of restrictions on somebody who identifies as Irish who meets all that Criteria, or somebody who identifies as Italian or German who meets all that criteria. So why Mexican? There are shit loads of Mexicans just like him living in the states, and you'd never know it.

Last edited:
Ok apparently Mitt Romney's father was born in Mexico, according to Mexican law that gives Mitt Romney the option to claim dual citizenship with Mexico if he pleases. Should Romney mention this in his campaign to try and swing some Hispanic votes his way? I haven't really heard him mention it yet.

If he can emphasize his Mexican heritage, I'm allowed to emphasize my Cherokee Heritage.

A person who is born and raised there? Fucking please. That's not what is required to be an American. Next thing you know you'll be telling me that a person with black and white grandparents, and a mixed and white parents can't consider themselves to be black... because they're not 100% pure.

That sounds like some straight up race purity bullshit to me... and certainly not the definition of what it means to be part of an ethnic identity.

The dude has Mexican citizenship, he has actual indigenous Mexican ancestry(even if not, that's not criteria), he speaks Spanish as a first language. He's a Mexican. Why the fucking ridiculous standards of what it takes to be Mexican? You wouldn't place the same type of restrictions on somebody who identifies as Irish who meets all that Criteria, or somebody who identifies as Italian or German who meets all that criteria. So why Mexican? There are shit loads of Mexicans just like him living in the states, and you'd never know it.
because you said AUTHENTIC and you were talking Bloodline......if you were talking Country,since he still retains his Mexican Citizenship,then yes, since he is a legal Citizen of Mexico,he would be called a Mexican,just like the Legal People in my State are considered Californians,even though many of us are not native to this area.....

Last edited:
If one is from the purest Euorpean ancestry, but born in Mexico, he is Mexican.

Yet, not Hispanic.
Hispanic (Spanish: hispano, hispánico) is a term that originally denoted a relationship to Hispania, which is to say the Iberian Peninsula: Portugal, Andorra, Gibraltar and Spain. During the modern era, Hispanic sometimes takes on a more limited meaning, particularly in the United States, where the term can mean a person of (usually) mixed race with a Spanish surname. The term Hispanic was first adopted by the United States government in the early 1970s, during the administration of Richard Nixon,[1] It has been used in the U.S. Census since 1980.[2] The term hispanic is seen as a false cognate with a limited meaning from the original historical term "hispano".[3] Since it was adopted by the USA government for the first time, the concept of "hispanic" has been changing along the time, who is considered hispanic can differ from state to state or differ according to the requirements of the different organizations.[4]

As such, the term to many people in North America has lost its association with Spain and Portugal, and has become associated primarily with Latin America. This usage is viewed by some as incomplete since the term Hispanic referred to Hispania (the Iberian Peninsula: modern day Spain and Portugal) and its ancient Hispanic inhabitants.
Hispanic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

because you said AUTHENTIC and you were talking Bloodline......if you were talking Country,since he still retains his Mexican Citizenship,then yes, since he is a legal Citizen of Mexico,he would be called a Mexican,just like the Legal People in my State are considered Californians,even though many of us are not native to this area.....

How does he NOT have Mexican bloodline? You think bloodline exists and ends at the fucking parents?

How does he NOT have Mexican bloodline? You think bloodline exists and ends at the fucking parents?

if Rembrandt showed a student how to do a brush stroke on the students painting,does that make that painting an Authentic Rembrandt?....just because he put a few strokes on the canvas?.....

if Rembrandt showed a student how to do a brush stroke on the students painting,does that make that painting an Authentic Rembrandt?....just because he put a few strokes on the canvas?.....

HORRIBLE analogy.

HORRIBLE analogy.

no its not.....Louis is as authentic a Mexican as you are a fucking Cow.....the guy wasnt born there,lived there for 7 years when he was a little kid and has a half a cup of Mexican Blood in him....yea he sounds like the real deal.....

HORRIBLE analogy.

no its not.....Louis is as authentic a Mexican as you are a fucking Cow.....the guy wasnt born there,lived there for 7 years when he was a little kid and has a half a cup of Mexican Blood in him....yea he sounds like the real deal.....

What the hell does born there even matter if you're going to exclude Mexican parents, Spanish as first language, indigenous Mexican ancestry. You're an idiot. What does it take to be a Mexican huh? Do both your parents have to be Mexican? Do you have to have ONLY Mexican ancestry in your family? do you have to have lived there all of your life? His ENTIRE fucking family on his dads side lives in Mexico and are Mexicans. But he's not a Mexican though, right? Fucking moron.

You realize the absolutely fucking retarded litmus test you have set up here for what it means to be Mexican? You'd be the first to call a brown skinned Latino on the street a Mexican even if they were a fucking Honduran or Guatemalan.

If he's not Mexican... what the FUCK is he? Is he just a country-less white person? Yes he's an American and was born in America, but America isn't his home country, and it's not the country he identifies as his home country.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRio3Y1lCmQ]Youtube[/ame]

You realize how idiotic you sound, right? You're just trolling at this point.

Last edited:
HORRIBLE analogy.

What the hell does born there even matter if you're going to exclude Mexican parents, Spanish as first language, indigenous Mexican ancestry. You're an idiot. What does it take to be a Mexican huh? Do both your parents have to be Mexican? Do you have to have ONLY Mexican ancestry in your family? do you have to have lived there all of your life? His ENTIRE fucking family on his dads side lives in Mexico and are Mexicans. But he's not a Mexican though, right? Fucking moron.

You realize the absolutely fucking retarded litmus test you have set up here for what it means to be Mexican? You'd be the first to call a brown skinned Latino on the street a Mexican even if they were a fucking Honduran or Guatemalan.

If he's not Mexican... what the FUCK is he? Is he just a country-less white person? Yes he's an American and was born in America, but America isn't his home country, and it's not the country he identifies as his home country.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRio3Y1lCmQ]Youtube[/ame]

You realize how idiotic you sound, right? You're just trolling at this point.
i notice now you are avoiding the word "Authentic"....at least your starting to pay attention.....

You'd be the first to call a brown skinned Latino on the street a Mexican even if they were a fucking Honduran or Guatemalan.

yea i would....:lol:.....i live in the midst of these People you stupid fuck.....my Brother-in-law was of Ecuadorian decent.....i know exactly what you are talking about you dumbass....i have pointed this out to people over in the Immigration threads who call everyone a Mexican....ill tell you what Cow.....you can consider Louis to be a GENUINE Mexican if thats what you want.....but he is only a Mexican Citizen because of his families circumstances when he was young.....but AUTHENTIC.....sorry,he aint the real Deal....

Calm down, first of all.

Second, the means why which people identify themselves nationality/citizenship wise are varied and often complex, and there's no checklist that will ever suffice to answer your questions. Valid points for consideration, but there's no magical black-and-white answer. However, you still seem to be confusing the concept of being X by nationality or citizenship, and being Hispanic. As I said before, even if two Caucasian Americans went to Japan and had a child together, their child would not be Japanese by ethnicity, regardless of how that child might end up identifying from a nationalism point of view. There is a difference between the two, and even if someone has a family ancestry that go back a few generations in Mexico, they are not Hispanic if that ancestry does not include Hispanic roots.

You'd be the first to call a brown skinned Latino on the street a Mexican even if they were a fucking Honduran or Guatemalan.

I wonder what the chances are that you might see a blond haired and blue eyed family and expect them to Hispanics from Mexico. Probably would think they're white Americans, right? Bet you didn't know that there are many Mexicans who are Hispanic and with fair skin, blond hair, and blue eyes.

Forum List

Back