Should Mitt Romney emphasize his Mexican heritage for the Hispanic vote?

Ok apparently Mitt Romney's father was born in Mexico, according to Mexican law that gives Mitt Romney the option to claim dual citizenship with Mexico if he pleases. Should Romney mention this in his campaign to try and swing some Hispanic votes his way? I haven't really heard him mention it yet.

My last name sounds hispanic...now that I know Romney's dad is from mexico I will no longer speak out against him but support him in racial solidarity :lol:

Ok well it won't change my voting or behavior at all but I'm still glad you made the thread :D

Romney is Hispanic :razz:

I don't think that Romney wants to mention his Hispanic heritage, because then all the other GOP idiots are going to start jumping on him about his immigration policies.

And.........after what he went through on his lawn care fiasco, I think it's a subject he wants to stay away from.

He doesnt want to mention his hispanic heritages because he doesn't have any. His father might have been born in Mexico, but that doesn't make him hispanic. Does being born in Africa mean your black? No. The idea is crazy.

Mexican is a nationality, not a color. There are Black, white and Meztizo Mexicans, I am not saying Romney is one, I'm just saying not all Mexicans are Meztizo.

The fact that his family roots pass through Mexico would do him no good with Americans of Hispanic extraction since he carries no Hispanic blood or characteristics, would be an obvious pander to them, and could only hurt him with the main body of the voter pool.

Further, it would serve to draw attention to his polygamist background which is a tremendous negative to the 'values voter' in the rep party.

In what way would having roots in Mexico hurt him with any voters?

What exactly is wrong with being a decendent of polygamists?

You'd have to take that up the socalled Christian right of the republican party. ;) I'm simply pointing out points in historical fact which I observe and the wisdom of exploiting or ignoring them.

The fact that his family roots pass through Mexico would do him no good with Americans of Hispanic extraction since he carries no Hispanic blood or characteristics, would be an obvious pander to them, and could only hurt him with the main body of the voter pool.

Further, it would serve to draw attention to his polygamist background which is a tremendous negative to the 'values voter' in the rep party.

What are Hispanic "characteristics", there are Hispanics of every shade and color.

I should have been more explicit and said no obvious ie, visually recognizeable Hispanic characteristics, sorry. Without them, his potential appeal to voters of Latin extraction is probably negligibly greater than that what it is to the larger electorate.

Like it or not racial identity politics, largely a visual phenomena, is alive and well today and not just among Anglo Americans. A meaningful discussion of that topic is a major swerve from the topic of this this thread however.

I know what you mean, but we have to keep in mind not all Mexicans are brown skinned Meztizo's.

I want to play the TruthMatters role in this thread and keep repeating the same short lines over and over.

"Romeny is hispanic those who make fun of his Bain Pain are racist."

(sorry if you want me to be serious I just can't right now)

romney-clown.jpg

What are Hispanic "characteristics", there are Hispanics of every shade and color.

I should have been more explicit and said no obvious ie, visually recognizeable Hispanic characteristics, sorry. Without them, his potential appeal to voters of Latin extraction is probably negligibly greater than that what it is to the larger electorate.

Like it or not racial identity politics, largely a visual phenomena, is alive and well today and not just among Anglo Americans. A meaningful discussion of that topic is a major swerve from the topic of this this thread however.

I know what you mean, but we have to keep in mind not all Mexicans are brown skinned Meztizo's.

That's quite true, in fact the bulk of Mexicos ruling class is far more Spanish in appearance than the genearal population, a fact that many of them find socially problematic. But again, another topic.

I don't think that Romney wants to mention his Hispanic heritage, because then all the other GOP idiots are going to start jumping on him about his immigration policies.

And.........after what he went through on his lawn care fiasco, I think it's a subject he wants to stay away from.

He doesnt want to mention his hispanic heritages because he doesn't have any. His father might have been born in Mexico, but that doesn't make him hispanic. Does being born in Africa mean your black? No. The idea is crazy.

Mexican is a nationality, not a color. There are Black, white and Meztizo Mexicans, I am not saying Romney is one, I'm just saying not all Mexicans are Meztizo.

I know Mexican is a nationality and not a color. Mexican does not equal hispanic

You'd have to take that up the socalled Christian right of the republican party. ;) I'm simply pointing out points in historical fact which I observe and the wisdom of exploiting or ignoring them.

You havent provided any reason they might object to either.

You havent provided any reason they might object to either.

Not as a direct reply to your post, no, but again, guilt by association-

http://www.usmessageboard.com/polit...tage-for-the-hispanic-vote-2.html#post4657589

Willard speaks fluent French. Someone asked him if he could say, "let them eat cake", in French, to which he replied, "I can but I won't". That's all he'd need to cement his image as an elitist.

Willard speaks fluent French. Someone asked him if he could say, "let them eat cake", in French, to which he replied, "I can but I won't". That's all he'd need to cement his image as an elitist.

Actually, I think he's done a pretty good job of that already.

Telling an interviewer that taxes shouldn't be discussed in public, rather in quiet back rooms.

Wanting to give a kid a dollar, and the only thing in his wallet is 100's.

Saying that corporations are people.

Vulture capitalism via Bain.

Need I go on?

Naah he is doing fine empahaizing his wealth and privilege heritage to attract republican voters.

he will try for the hispanics if he wins the primary.

Yo Vern, he does not try to become electable.

All we want to do is restore the Constitution and the enforce upon the continuing criminal enterprise known as the US of A.

He emphasizes LIBERTY

if parasitism is your cup of tea then vote for a candidate who likes to loot, plunder and confiscate.

Thanks, that wuz funny!

Forum List

Back