Should Machine guns (fully automatic weapons) be legal for average citizens to own?

Just keep the "semi-auto" setting on the safety... It takes a little bit of practice to single-pop a 60...

Can do it with a BAR, too. I'd like to learn to, actually.

*checks wallet* OK, maybe not...no BAR in the budget. :(
A BAR has a "semi-auto" setting on the selector switch...
M1918 Browning Automatic Rifle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An M-60 is a bit more challenging, since it only has 2 settings... "Safe" and "Full Auto"...

You actually have to learn to use a "twitch" on an M-60 trigger to single-pop, and it takes pretty fast reflexes.

People talk about the 2nd Amendment as if it's somehow sacrosanct. But as anyone can tell you, not all weapons are legal for average Americans to own. I would say that's for good reason. Or as George H. W. Bush (or Dana Carvey) might have said, it wouldn't be prudent.

Just in case you need a reminder, think back to those days of Prohibition when criminals routinely used machine guns in the furtherance of their crimes.

What it proves, of course, is the 2nd Amendment can coexist with limited gun restrictions in the interest of public safety. However, maybe some 2nd Amendment absolutists have a different view and believe that average Americans should be allowed to own fully automatic weapons without the sever restrictions placed on them today.

What say you?

Pay the tax and it is legal to own a fully automatic firearm. I see no need for one, personally, but far be it from me to decide what others need... or want.

People talk about the 2nd Amendment as if it's somehow sacrosanct. But as anyone can tell you, not all weapons are legal for average Americans to own. I would say that's for good reason. Or as George H. W. Bush (or Dana Carvey) might have said, it wouldn't be prudent.

Just in case you need a reminder, think back to those days of Prohibition when criminals routinely used machine guns in the furtherance of their crimes.

What it proves, of course, is the 2nd Amendment can coexist with limited gun restrictions in the interest of public safety. However, maybe some 2nd Amendment absolutists have a different view and believe that average Americans should be allowed to own fully automatic weapons without the sever restrictions placed on them today.

What say you?

Pay the tax and it is legal to own a fully automatic firearm. I see no need for one, personally, but far be it from me to decide what others need... or want.

Who needs a machine gun?

What say you?

Who needs a machine gun?
Why is it YOUR BUSINESS deciding who needs or does not need something that is completely legal?

Should Machine guns (fully automatic weapons) be legal for average citizens to own?

They already are legal for average citizens to own.

Those who can pay the $200 Federal tax for each transfer, that is.

Some states do put additional restrictions on them.

All unconstitutional, of course.

What say you?

Who needs a machine gun?
Anybody who wants one

There are two phrases in the Constitution that the left really would love to erase: "free exercise thereof" and "shall not be infringed".

What say you?

Should people be allowed to talk about religion or politics? Those can be volatile topics.

They're heavily regulated, and no, average citizens by and large do not own automatic weapons.

What say you?

Just an answer to the title of your thread:

That isn't up for you or anyone else to decide.

According to the SCOTUS, your version of gun restrictions does not, cannot and will not coexist with the Second Amendment. You can cry all you want about it, but the 2nd is sacrosanct because the courts have said so. Consistently.

What say you?

Just an answer to the title of your thread:

That isn't up for you or anyone else to decide.

According to the SCOTUS, your version of gun restrictions does not, cannot and will not coexist with the Second Amendment. You can cry all you want about it, but the 2nd is sacrosanct because the courts have said so. Consistently.

There is not one single constitutional right that doesn't have caveats associated with it. Sometimes it's when one person's rights come into conflict with another person's rights. But often, it's simply a matter of common sense.

So, WHILE everyone has a right to free speech and freedom of expression, something as simple as a noise ordinance can and will mean that person A cannot disturb the peace in an effort to espouse his views. You also can't harass someone.

Freedom of speech also does not give a person the right to slander or libel someone. So, there ARE limits.

Gun rights too have limits. You are not allowed to take guns into a courtroom or on a commercial airplane. And it's a simple fact that the US Congress could, if it chose to do so, decide to outlaw or restrict, certain firearms, period.

And it's a simple fact that the US Congress could, if it chose to do so, decide to outlaw or restrict, certain firearms, period.

And just like that, you make your true intentions known. Thanks for clearing that up. This isn't a matter of reasonable restrictions to you, its a matter of complete restriction.

Forum List

Back