Should I call the police and report it?

alan1

Gold Member
Dec 13, 2008
Shoveling the ashes
I was out of town for a few days. I've been back home for a few days, but something that happened while I was gone has been bugging me. I'm wondering if I should call the police and report it.

While I was gone, somebody left a a bag of trash on my front doorstep. It's kind of odd in a way. It was in a plastic bag, not loose trash, but it was trash nevertheless. I also know who did it, and can prove it. In fact, I could prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt in a court of law.
I talked to a few of my neighbors and they all had a bag of trash left on their doorstep by the same person. None of them think its that big of a deal, but when I asked them if they would be ok if I tossed my given bag of trash into the middle of the street we live on, none of them thought that was ok.
Trash on my doorstep (and theirs), no big deal to them, that same bag of trash in the street, they don't like it.
Should I call the police and report it? I threw the trash into my garbage can, but I can retrieve it if I call the police.
I'm looking for advice here, what do you think I should do?

Dude.. Where do you live?:

Cars stolen from your driveway.. Garbage left on your doorstep? Why?

I was out of town for a few days. I've been back home for a few days, but something that happened while I was gone has been bugging me. I'm wondering if I should call the police and report it.

While I was gone, somebody left a a bag of trash on my front doorstep. It's kind of odd in a way. It was in a plastic bag, not loose trash, but it was trash nevertheless. I also know who did it, and can prove it. In fact, I could prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt in a court of law.
I talked to a few of my neighbors and they all had a bag of trash left on their doorstep by the same person. None of them think its that big of a deal, but when I asked them if they would be ok if I tossed my given bag of trash into the middle of the street we live on, none of them thought that was ok.
Trash on my doorstep (and theirs), no big deal to them, that same bag of trash in the street, they don't like it.
Should I call the police and report it? I threw the trash into my garbage can, but I can retrieve it if I call the police.

Are you sure they aren't just really bad gift-givers?

Report it. Either the dumbass is mentally ill, or just expects his neighbors to pay for the removal of his trash. The cops will go talk to him, issue him a citation if he admits it, you won't even have to go to court. They'll just fine him.

Are you sure they aren't just really bad gift-givers?

Re-gifters! Someone gave him trash, and he's passing it on!

They will actually go through the bag of garbage to find identification of the asshole who dumped it. That's how ppl who dump garbage on the side of the road get busted.

Yes, call the cops, for every tiny little thing. The more calls they get from your neighborhood, the more often they will patrol your neighborhood.

It's vandalism, so I would report it so that the act itself is on record. Funny, a friend just went throught a similar situation last week. Cops came, he reported it, cops came and asked who he suspected would do such a thing. He told them. Cops went to question and the fool admitted to it. Cops chastized the fool for being petty and immature.

I think the cops handled it fair and well. You may have a similar experience or they may handle it worse. Can't say. But the important thing, IMO, is to get an act on record. If it persists, you have a record of a pattern.

They will actually go through the bag of garbage to find identification of the asshole who dumped it. That's how ppl who dump garbage on the side of the road get busted.
Trust me on this, the person that left the trash didn't hide who they are, in fact, they advertised it.

It's vandalism, so I would report it so that the act itself is on record. Funny, a friend just went throught a similar situation last week. Cops came, he reported it, cops came and asked who he suspected would do such a thing. He told them. Cops went to question and the fool admitted to it. Cops chastized the fool for being petty and immature.

I think the cops handled it fair and well. You may have a similar experience or they may handle it worse. Can't say. But the important thing, IMO, is to get an act on record. If it persists, you have a record of a pattern.

Interesting that you say that, because this isn't the first time it's happened to me or my neighbors.

Interesting that you say that, because this isn't the first time it's happened to me or my neighbors.
And I doubt it will be the last unless something causes the person to change their actions.

All the neighbors should get together and start dumping their trash, unbagged, on the guy's lawn.

Or bag it and fill his truck or garage with it and tell him that you think his idea of having ppl take everyone else's garbage to the dump on alternate weekends is a really good idea, and it's his turn.

All the neighbors should get together and start dumping their trash, unbagged, on the guy's lawn.

Or bag it and fill his truck or garage with it and tell him that you think his idea of having ppl take everyone else's garbage to the dump on alternate weekends is a really good idea, and it's his turn.

Damn, I like that idea.
Want to be my neighbor?

Forum List

Back