Should CA's Central Valley Secede

Couple of things need to happen in order of that to come to pass.

Article IV of the United States Constitution provides for the creation of new states of the Union, requiring that any such creation be approved by the legislature of the affected state(s), as well as the United States Congress.

Last I checked the CA. legislature is a majority Democrat and would be hard to convince a legislature that is controlled by one party that they should allow a portion of the state to form another within it's boundry, especially if that state will be dominated by the opposite party. Having said this, given CA. financial problems, the idea of a state like California doing such a thing is not without merit, in that those cities, towns, and citizens that go into the new state are no longer an impact on the budget of California. I would not look for this to happen anytime soon though, because the last state to do this with was West Virginia in 1863, since then several have tried and have gotten no where.

I am not a lawyer but I think voters can bypass the Legislature via the initiative process and force the legislature to partician the state into three seperate entities. Whether they would is unlikely but many Californians would tell you perhaps we should.

I think the whole State of California should secede and when they do be sure to take Nancy Pelosi and Barbara Boxer with them.

Yes, then they can go back to Mexico.....after all most of Mexico has come to them.

And we pay for it.

No you don't. Historically California has paid far more to the federal government then it has recieved. As recently as 2005 California ranked 43rd in what it got back from the federal government vs what is gave, getting only 78 cents on the dollar. The only people that the illegals in California are bankrupting, are other Californians.

Edit: http://taxfoundation.org/article/fe...enefit-some-states-leave-others-paying-bill-1

Couple of things need to happen in order of that to come to pass.

Article IV of the United States Constitution provides for the creation of new states of the Union, requiring that any such creation be approved by the legislature of the affected state(s), as well as the United States Congress.

Last I checked the CA. legislature is a majority Democrat and would be hard to convince a legislature that is controlled by one party that they should allow a portion of the state to form another within it's boundry, especially if that state will be dominated by the opposite party. Having said this, given CA. financial problems, the idea of a state like California doing such a thing is not without merit, in that those cities, towns, and citizens that go into the new state are no longer an impact on the budget of California. I would not look for this to happen anytime soon though, because the last state to do this with was West Virginia in 1863, since then several have tried and have gotten no where.

I am not a lawyer but I think voters can bypass the Legislature via the initiative process and force the legislature to partician the state into three seperate entities. Whether they would is unlikely but many Californians would tell you perhaps we should.

Interesting, I wonder though if the process in California might run into issues though with the Surpremacy Clause in the Constitution when it comes to this sort of thing. I think its very unlikely you would ever get California to do such a thing as there are way too many hurdles to overcome.

Let's see, if you have senators who don't seem to care about their constituency what's the best thing to do? Secede or try to get a better senator?

The Ca senators represent the states interests. Boxer is on technology committees which is highly appropriate. The problem for Ca is they are really like taking Virginia (southern Ca), Oklahoma (central Valley), and Massachusetts (bay area/ northern coast) all under one government and represented by a single pair of senators. At 37M people Ca is still bigger than those three combined.

Perhaps you should google something called the "House of Representatives."

Forum List

Back