Should Carolina Rest Their Starters

Papageorgio

The Ultimate Winner
May 18, 2010
PNW
I am hearing a lot of talk from the media that the Panthers should lose a game to take the pressure off.

Taking the foot of the gas ended the Colts run a few years ago. The were 14-0, leading the Jets and in the second half pulled several starters. They went 14-2 and lost the in the playoffs.

So should Carolina let off the gas or keep rolling?

They should definitely lose a game intentionally.

I mean, don't Sun Zhu and Nicholi Machiovelli discuss how losing a battle helps you win the war in their identically named tomes "The Art of War"? Doesn't the US Military Academy twach how much easier the Union would have won the Civil War if only they'd LOST at Gettysburg in 1863?

Ridiculous on every level possible.

My thought to Anathema. Why kill your own momentum?

Pedal to the metal to the end.

No matter. Either AZ or Seattle will end their run whether they rest their starters or not. Both NFC West teams are better than Carolina at full strength. They will be one and done in this playoff as in their last.

We will see Huggy. The defense is as good as Seattle and Arizona. Carolina's offense is clicking and Seattle and Arizona have RB issues. As far as personnel, I think Carolina is a bit less talented than Seattle and definitely less talented than Arizona.

Getting to 13-0 in any season takes a good team.

I am hearing a lot of talk from the media that the Panthers should lose a game to take the pressure off.

Taking the foot of the gas ended the Colts run a few years ago. The were 14-0, leading the Jets and in the second half pulled several starters. They went 14-2 and lost the in the playoffs.

So should Carolina let off the gas or keep rolling?

Play the first team for the first two offensive downs, then liberally rest as many as possible to 1) prevent injury and 2) have the second team gain more experience if needed.

Years ago the Niner's lost Garrison Hearst on the first play of the playoff with Atlanta, and Joe Montana was lost in the first quarter to the NY Giants in a playoff game; both Niner teams lost both games.

They should definitely lose a game intentionally.

I mean, don't Sun Zhu and Nicholi Machiovelli discuss how losing a battle helps you win the war in their identically named tomes "The Art of War"? Doesn't the US Military Academy twach how much easier the Union would have won the Civil War if only they'd LOST at Gettysburg in 1863?

Ridiculous on every level possible.

Yup Ron should know, he was on the 85 bears, better to lose one and Win the big one.

We will see Huggy. The defense is as good as Seattle and Arizona. Carolina's offense is clicking and Seattle and Arizona have RB issues. As far as personnel, I think Carolina is a bit less talented than Seattle and definitely less talented than Arizona.

Getting to 13-0 in any season takes a good team.

Absolute nonsense....well maybe not Absolute nonsense but I think you see an undefeated team and based on that give them more credit than they warrant. I realize that sounds crazy but it's a football...it bounces weird. In a normal season the Panthers should be around 8-5 like the Hawks...after peaking early.

Not trying to be a homer a-hole but have you seen Wilson's and Lockett's and Baldwin's numbers for the last four games? What did Newton do in his last game? One passing TD and one running TD...and that was in a 38 to 0 blow out against possibly the worst defens in the NFL. Wilson threw for 5,3,3 and 5 TDs. This is not the Seahawk Offense with the thrown together rag tag O-Line when the Panthers played us in game three.

AZ is good. very good actually. Palmer throws the ball a lot better than Newton. He obviously sees the field better and has better receivers to throw to than the Panthers. The last poor performance by Wilson was when we played AZ here. That was the turning point in the development of the O-Line. Wilson had a rating in the 60's. Since then Russell has averaged over 110 with 4 games in a row averaging 140 plus.

The Panthers have a pretty good defense. That kid Kulucly(sp?) is awesome. But he is no Bobby Wagner. All Seahawk Linebackers are faster than he is.

I give the Panthers props for taking advantage of what was in front of them but they have blown no one except the Falcons out...NO ONE but hopeless Atlanta and in their division that should be embarrassing. Good for them but those close games won't get em to the big dance. The playoffs is a whole nuther animal. Newton has been a lucky game manager so far. He has run no team off the field like Palmer and Wilson have. That's the kind of performance a team MUST have in the playoffs because every team that advances is great. A close game in the playoffs is no embarrassment as that one play in the SB that sunk the Hawks. Any other NFC team would have been straight smoked by Brady.

I watched Newton play on my NFL Game Pass and trust me he is no Palmer or Wilson. Unless those two get injured where they cannot play the Panthers are one and done post season.

Last edited:
I have watched all three QBs, Carson best, Cam I rate second and Wilson is third.

How many of your great Seattle teams made it to 13-0. The way the ball bounces has some to do with some wins. Like the Seahawks beating Green Bay. However, you have to be good to get to 13-0 but I don't expect a hawk fan to give any team any credit and you don't disappoint. For as hot as Seattle is, four straight, the Panthers are hotter 13 straight.

I have watched all three QBs, Carson best, Cam I rate second and Wilson is third.

How many of your great Seattle teams made it to 13-0. The way the ball bounces has some to do with some wins. Like the Seahawks beating Green Bay. However, you have to be good to get to 13-0 but I don't expect a hawk fan to give any team any credit and you don't disappoint. For as hot as Seattle is, four straight, the Panthers are hotter 13 straight.

13-0 is admirable but it won't win a single game in the playoffs. What wins in the playoffs is cut throat smash em in the face and balls caught in double coverage on third downs. The Hawks have the last two seasons experience to fall back on and they know what it takes to make it all the way to the big game. That is also why AZ will falter when they face the Hawks in the playoffs.

This is how it will go down. Seattle will thoroughly destroy probably Wash while AZ and Carolina get byes, Then AZ will play in the North and the Hawks will go to Carolina and embarrass the Panthers. Then Seattle will go back to AZ and Wilson will show Palmer what it means to play under big time pressure. Larry Fitzgerald will get a serious taste of Cam Chancellor and decide to be a lot less available on those crossing routes.

Newton could have made a statement against Atlanta but he punked out. Ron Rivera might be looking for a new team after another one and done... One with a killer instinct.

Don't mess with Huggys' NFL Game Pass perceptions................:laugh2:.

I encourage any true fan of the sport and their team to get the NFL Game Pass.

Who has time to sit and watch game after freakin game and still not know what the hell is going on.

13-0 is admirable but it won't win a single game in the playoffs. What wins in the playoffs is cut throat smash em in the face and balls caught in double coverage on third downs. The Hawks have the last two seasons experience to fall back on and they know what it takes to make it all the way to the big game. That is also why AZ will falter when they face the Hawks in the playoffs.

This is how it will go down. Seattle will thoroughly destroy probably Wash while AZ and Carolina get byes, Then AZ will play in the North and the Hawks will go to Carolina and embarrass the Panthers. Then Seattle will go back to AZ and Wilson will show Palmer what it means to play under big time pressure. Larry Fitzgerald will get a serious taste of Cam Chancellor and decide to be a lot less available on those crossing routes.

Newton could have made a statement against Atlanta but he punked out. Ron Rivera might be looking for a new team after another one and done... One with a killer instinct.

Against Atlanta he went 15/21 265 yds, 3 TD's, no ints, a passer rating 153.3 and you think that he punked out? Up 28-0 and Rivera went to a run game not a passing game.

Today against hapless Cleveland, Wilson went 21-30, 249 yds, 3 tds, no ints and a passer rating of 128.3. Did Wilson punk out?

Good grief.

Against Atlanta he went 15/21 265 yds, 3 TD's, no ints, a passer rating 153.3 and you think that he punked out? Up 28-0 and Rivera went to a run game not a passing game.

Today against hapless Cleveland, Wilson went 21-30, 249 yds, 3 tds, no ints and a passer rating of 128.3. Did Wilson punk out?

Good grief.

I had inaccurate information. I retract my statement. I was obviously wrong. I wish I could remember where I found the 411 that I based my statement on. I can't so I will just state for the record that I was in error.

Carolina in a historic run, 14-0 and 18-0 in the regular season.

One of four teams to go 14-0 and the only NFC team to do so.

Cam probably grabbed the MVP for the season, Palmer probably 2nd.

The Giants taught the Panthers a huge lesson.

Pedal to the metal for 60 minutes.

Last edited:
Getting back to the original question 'should Carolina rest some players'. Well considering who they play in the final two games, what difference will it make? For Christ Sake they play Atlanta and Tampa Bay. The Panthers could rest most of their offensive players and rely on their defense and throw in a couple of ball boys and still beat either of those two teams. Face it....the Panthers are going undefeated in the regular season...now we will have to see who they are likely to face in the second round of the Playoffs which will be a different ball game when playing with the big boys.

Forum List

Back